Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Hey

I'm a rookie trapper trying to get rid of some beavers before they completely take out a stand of young pines. I've caught two so far, with 330s set at the base of their main slide and another about halfway up the bank, in the middle of their trail. I'm not sure if there are more.

I can't find anything in the area that looks like a lodge. There aren't any more obvious slides on our side of the creek. They haven't built a dam yet.

What other kinds of sets would you recommend?

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You may have got them all...three beaver can do alot of damage and make it look like an army of them has moved in !!

My favorite and most successful set is the scent mound...if you can get to the bank make a pile of mud an leaves from the creek bottom, then place the trap ( a #5 long spring) in 4-5 inches of water in front of it and off to the side a little. Don't be afraid to use guide sticks so the beaver swims strait into the pile...not from the side. I usually rig the trap on a drowning wire and put some castor scent on the mound.

Sound labor intisive, but really it's not.

The best book I ever read on the subject was "Open Water Beaver Trapping ". It's and a lot trial and error is how I learned.

Good luck and have fun !!!!
Dustin

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mat, I don't want to put a damper on things but you might want to double check the legallity of using 330 on dry land, a lot of states take umbrage to that practice.

erich

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
try some snares along the banks (in the water). That will get some of thoes beavers that might be a little trap shy. they will learn from the first couple that you got and they swim along the banks alot..

Todd

My state is BIGGER than yours.....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Setting a large rock out in the current, 10" or so from a steep bank will create a lane the beavers will almost always go through, especially if the set is made on the inside curve of a river bed. Set a 330 sideways with the trigger above the water and it will hammer them if they are still present.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

B
B
I use a lot of snares when I am trapping beaver. They can be set on dry land or in their slides and runs.

Some people are alive only because there are laws against killing them.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,060
Posts18,501,211
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.