-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
does anyone have any experience with a cell phone reception booster for a house?
I get poor reception in the yard but a couple bars on the roof and nothing in the house. I'm looking to get one of those bosters but there are a hundred kinds and vary greatly in price.
knowing next to nothing about them I stumbled onto this one and thought it would work.
http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Electr...p;ie=UTF8&qid=1436367657&sr=1-89

does anyone have any experience with this? the house is about 2000 sq ft and is 2 levels, the bottom is a walk out basement. any advice is appreciated. budget is 750ish max.

TIA,

Ryan

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Depending on your provider....I got mine for free from Verizon....they wanted to keep me as a customer

S
saj Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I only had 2 bars of 3 G and it was only in some areas. Bought a Wilson booster and now have 3 bars of 4 G threw out the house.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by saj
I only had 2 bars of 3 G and it was only in some areas. Bought a Wilson booster and now have 3 bars of 4 G threw out the house.

What was wrong with the house?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a company provided phone, at our old house the signal was absolutely zero. My company provided me with a Verizon booster that plugged into our router. Great signal within the house, including 50 feet around the outside of the house or so. Our IS dept said it only worked on a hardwired internet system. That a wireless (from house to provider) would not work.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a Wilson booster inside the house here. Have had it for a few years now.

Without it, no bars. With it, it has decent service throughout the house.

You have to have SOME signal on the outside for it work... For me, that was putting the booster antennae 30' up on a pole tower I built.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by saj

grin

I noticed that also...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I have poor coverage and kept complaining to AT&T (Verizon was no better) shortly before my contract was up they sent me a Cisco Microcell network extender. Plugged it into my router and my cell problems were over.

Ted
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O

Ted
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've got the Microcell booster too. We never had AT&T coverage in our house. Complained and complained and finally got them to send us one for free after threatening to leave U-Verse bundle. Completely changed our cell strength. We could easily give up a land line now with the service on our cell phones. You do need to be sure it can get a GPS signal so 911 will know your location. Our house is single story. We put it in the office and it picked up the GPS signal right away.

NoCAL

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sure wish ATT would have at least suggested something like this for me. In my condo, the signal is so bad, that my download speed with WiFi, using a hot spot, is around 1.6 mbps. That is average, on a good day, I can see 13 mbps, but it's not consistent.
I am dumping them, so far as date usage is concerned, and going with HotWire's fiber optic cable for internet in Miami. They are offering me a free router, and up to 50 mbps speed.

Sam......

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have a Wilson and it works great! They have a sale going on right now iirc

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
There are two kinds, the wilson booster actually boosts the cell signal from the local tower and has a repeater inside the house, typically it has an external antenna.

AT&T and Verizon have the microcell thing, at least that's what AT&T calls theirs. What it does is routes your cell phone call over the internet like a skype or VOIP call. You have to have high speed internet at your location to hook the microcell to.

Two different ways to enhance the reception. They both work but do it using completely different methods. If you have high speed internet at your place and your cell provider has the microcell thing I'd recommend it over the wilson booster, it's cheaper and easier to set up.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Talked AT&T into a free Microcell, went from 2 bars here and there to 4 in all rooms.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
There are two kinds, the wilson booster actually boosts the cell signal from the local tower and has a repeater inside the house, typically it has an external antenna.

AT&T and Verizon have the microcell thing, at least that's what AT&T calls theirs. What it does is routes your cell phone call over the internet like a skype or VOIP call. You have to have high speed internet at your location to hook the microcell to.

Two different ways to enhance the reception. They both work but do it using completely different methods. If you have high speed internet at your place and your cell provider has the microcell thing I'd recommend it over the wilson booster, it's cheaper and easier to set up.

I'd never heard of the microcell before, it sounds like the way to go since we have high speed internet here. downside is if the internet goes down we're screwed, right? where as the wilson booster we would still have reception? probably very unlikely scenario I'm guessing though.
Thanks for the input guys!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My up north house has aluminum siding and a metal roof on it and blocks cell service. I need signal boosters to use my cell inside.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by saj

grin

I noticed that also...

Kinda hard to throw the house out, no?

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

63 members (ar33c9, 7mm_Loco, 10Glocks, anothergun, BB3, 6mmbrfan, 5 invisible), 1,454 guests, and 626 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,516
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.