Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

MISSING LIBBY

Libby, our Scottie dog, died last Thursday.

The wound is still very fresh, so let’s quickly skip over the “crying and dying” part. When Libby was first diagnosed with bladder cancer, she was ten years old. At that time, we were told that her life expectancy was from nine months to one-year. Libby beat the odds by living thirty more months and all but the last couple of weeks was super-quality time.

Her last day was a tough one. In the morning, she would not eat and that was a bad sign. We only got her pain pills down her by burying them in peanut butter. She was breathing fast and shallow, indicating that her cancer was restricting her ability to breathe. We called the vet.

Lib always loved riding in the truck, so that morning we went for a long, long, long ride. Normally, she would have gone to sleep within a few minutes, but on that last outing she stayed wide awake for all of it. Karen and I were in the front seats and Little Miss Bobblehead had the entire back seat to herself. She totally loved her ride.

Late that afternoon, our veterinarian and friend, Dr. Kristen Shaw and a Vet Tech, Sarah, came to our home. Nobody was in a hurry. We spent an hour crying and hugging and laughing at old dog stories. Then, it was time.

Libby spent her last ten minutes on Karen and my laps with all four of us petting her. She was on our laps and safe within our loving arms as she left this life.

No more cancer, no more pain, no more suffering … Go With God, Our Little Scottie Girl. Go With God.

Missing Libby

The population of Timm’s Base Camp is now down to a 71-year old lady, a 72-year old man and tuxedo cat who is eighteen. Oh yeah, there are also a few fish and about thirty stuffed big game animal heads. It’s amazing how quiet our home is now.

Libby very seldom barked, but she I could always feel her presence. She wasn’t clingy or underfoot; she was simply always close. Whenever we left home without Lib, upon returning, we’d always find her by sleeping by the door, just waiting for her human Mom and Dad to return.

During the last week, I cannot tell you how many times I’ve looked at her sleeping place by that door. Lib is gone, of course, but I still look.

And her other sleeping place was on top of her favorite Scottie-print fleece blanket that her Aunt Joan gave her. Every time we washed the blanket, we’d always place it in front of the love seat in our living room. Immediately, Libby would scramble it up into a proper dog bed. Then, she’d thump her fat little body on top of it and promptly fall fast asleep.

I still look for Libby on top of her blanket, in front of the love seat, and it still surprises me that she is gone.

Every morning, at breakfast, I’d automatically save several cereal flakes for Lib. After I started eating, she’d silently show up and carefully take each flake from my hand. She wasn’t begging … we were simply enjoying breakfast together.

This morning, I saved out a bunch of “Libby’s flakes” and she didn’t come. Hey, Libby, the physical Libby, is no more and it will take time for me to adjust.

I think that’s the key to it … It will take time us to understand that the physical part of Libby is no longer here.

Right now, Libby’s Love is still here with us, but we’re also dealing with a great deal of pain. Eventually, the pain will diminish and the only thing left will be the love that Libby gave us so very freely.

I’m not trying to be facetious, but I truly wish we humans were capable of loving as well as our dogs do. Karen and I were absolutely the center of Libby’s life … well, there was food, but you get my drift grin

Libby left a legacy of love in our home, in our lives and in our hearts. I can truly say that love was returned by both Karen and myself.

And, unlike mortal bodies, love never dies; it just keeps getting better and better.

Blessings,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Sorry about Libby, Steve. We lost our lab last winter, too. They get a piece of your heart.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Libby was truly a wonder dog Steve. I am so sorry that you and Karen have lost her, and especially at this time.
Elvie and I lost our last Scotty, Knockando McTavish in September 2007. Things around the house have never been the same.

Sam......

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Sorry to hear of this DZ. Take care.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm sorry, Steve. Recently went through that with mine. Miss her as you do yours.
Best wishes.

Retired cat herder.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Scottie's are kick azz dogs! Sorry you and yours lost your buddy.

Condolences to all and God Speed to ya Libby!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Steve, I sorry for the pain and sorrow you and your wife are feeling. Prayers for comfort are on the way.

Bob

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lovely explanation, and description of a beautiful dog. I am sorry you have lost her.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Steve, your story just brought tears to my eyes, as I remembered the last days of my beloved Lab Heidi.
God gave us these wonderful creatures- I just wish I understood why He didn't make them last a bit longer.....

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Steve,

One of my favorite breeds of all time.

Sorry for your loss

Ed

IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
You have my deepest sympathy... for dog lovers there is no pain as great as loosing our pet.. Their love knows no bounds.. Our pets never leave us they are always in our hearts.. We never get over the loss we only adjust.. My best wishes..

Molon Labe
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry for your loss.. Its hard losing a family member especially ones that are so loyal. My daughter has a lab pup right now and seeing the pictures of her and that pup make me smile. We have a Chihuahua he is something else still young guy for a dog but dread the day he leaves us. That little guy been everywhere with us two trips to Alaska to and from. Been on couple moose hunting trips great guard dog for bears smile have no idea what he thinks he was going to do if one actually came into camp... I hope you get another pup everyone needs a good dog!

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Sorry to hear this Steve. We all get our turn at it, and it never gets easier.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Brings tears to my eyes just thinking about having to do that again. My Brittany is 11 now and you start thinking of the finish line. Best way to deal with it is to think of the love you gave and got in return- it is as pure as it gets. You were lucky to have each other.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
A beautiful tribute to a wonderful dog. Nicely done.
She, and your family in return, loved well and deeply. No more can be asked.

Thanks for sharing your memories.

Chas

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Scottie's are kick azz dogs!

+1 ^^^^

My buddy has one. Sometimes I just drop by to visit with the dog. smile

RIP Libby

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Steve,
You and Karen are very much in our prayers right now. The only time pups ever let you down is when they die. They should live forever, damn it. The local district judge, is a good friend and whenever he stopped by our office he would get down on his hands and knees and chase our mini-doxie, Penny, around the office and they would bark at each other. When Penny died the Judge sent us a card that said, "Dogs leave tracks on the kitchen floor when they are with us and on our hearts when they are gone."

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry that you lost Libby.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Sorry for your loss

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your thoughts and prayers.

Yeah, Lib was a really cool dog. We'll get another, but we have to get Karen rehabilitated from this brain thing first.

And, like Libby, she or he will be an ex-champion show dog and we'll give the Scot both a real life and a Forever Home.

Blessings to All,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

381 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 22250rem, 10ring1, 38 invisible), 1,775 guests, and 1,074 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,002
Posts18,481,294
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.