Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Glad we don't have Craigslist.

Just sold something through the local Facebook Swap site and I will NEVER do that again. More [bleep] morons asking the most stupid questions known to mankind.

I swore I was in Oregon.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Ran an ad for a car on Craigslist for $2000. First "buyer" was oriental, but seemed legit, and was from Massachusetts. Backed out when shipping the car turned out to be $1400.
Second "buyer" contacted me via text, asked if I still had the car.

"Yes".

"Good i'll be glad to buy from you,pls provide me with a name to make a certified check to in payment as well as a mailing a"

"ddress to have in mail tomorrow.pickup arrangement will be made after check is confirm clear at your bank,Thanks Adam jones"

I sent my name and address next. His reply-

"Thanks for the info the check of $3300 has been sent to you the Excess funds will goes to the mover before coming for the pickup.pick"

"up will be done after the check has cleared from your bank.delete post so I can be assure that it's mine.thanks"

Me-" On the car purchase, post money orders are faster to cash and a more secure form of payment please. You will get your car shipped faster as well."

No reply.

Me again the next day- "Could you call me at your convenience regarding the car please."

No reply in 24 hours.

My question is does this "buyer" sound oriental also, judging by the text, and does this one sound like a scam?
Was the entire thing just a way to secure my name and address?
For what use?

Lots of red flags on this "deal". What do you think is going on here?

Sounds to me like they want to give me a phony check for $3300, which I'll cash and wait for clearance, but they'll push to have the car picked up before the check clears. Then I'd be required to pay the shipper $1300 to pick it up, sign the title over and boom, the check bounces. Sound right to you?

As said - thats a scam. I listed a car on Autotrade, cars.com and CL - and received no less than 5 scams from each site withing hours. I replied that they needed to see the car and that I was at the police shooting range practicing until 9pm. wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dogzapper
Then, I asked, "What the Hell good is a Cashiers Check?" The little bank prez had no answer

So, I was out 20K.

We found a new bank.

You found out the hard way that a Cashier's Check isn't worth the paper it's printed on...it has no meaning in the banking world.

Talking to Treasury about it, they say that most people find this out the hard way. These scams originate in Nigeria, Russia, Eastern Europe, China wherever. It's organized crime and you can't really track those guys down because they may not have a presence in the US.

Changing banks makes no difference, all banks are the same...they are considered victims too.

They can deny payment on a paper draft for like 90 days and take the money out of your account if it's not honored.

So one might cash paper at the bank and branch that issued it, but a lot of banks won't do that any more. They want the Payee to have an account at the bank so that the bank has recourse if the check is bogus.

One might use a PO Money Order and cash it at the Post Office only...those can be forgeries as well...banks see a lot of them. I haven't had a problem going that route.

For the cash only crowd...I would do the transaction at the bank and have them run it through their counterfeit checker counting machine. If the bills are bogus, it's unlikely the perp will agree to it.

A little extra effort on the front end saves a lot on the back end.

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cash, face to face only. No ticky, no washy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
check would on a overseas account and take atleast 30 days to clear which it won't. then you are screwed.

i usually have 5-6 sometimes up to 10 things on craiglist for sale all the time. great place to buy and sell.

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
As you've already been made aware, that is a classic Craigslist scams. And while a bank or PO MO can be fake, usually you can gather enough information to determine if the intended buyer is full of bullshit or not.

A few tips for CL:
- Normally I don't sell to out of local area
- Cash or MO with sufficient time to pass before buyer gets car or goods and certainly the title.
- Many people will spell out part of their phone number to stop the scanning scammers (say that 3 times fast)
- If it's too good to be true, it probably is
- Get a damn good idea the buyer does not have ill-intentions before giving out your address and or other personal information
- Have your favorite handgun tucked in your waistband at all times.....I'm not kidding.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Its a scam the vintage bike i was selling, guy offered me $1900.00 for a 400.00 I was asking, said to cover the shipping , I still have the check but sold the bike for cash! he was out the 5-7 bucks from UPS! I dont like craigs List!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Craigslist is awesome if your not a moron.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BigNate
Just got back from depositing my Bank issued Cashiers check no problem.

All you really need is proof of contract. Emails, PM's etc. proving agreement, and enough personal info to be sure they are for real. Let bank verify check, then sign docs and ship.

The bank accepts checks deposited by an account holder as a convenience to their customers, but the customer is ultimately liable for their deposits.

So you can deposit any check at the teller level and they will accept it no problem. You could write a check on a paper bag with a magic marker and they would accept it, but if payment for the check or Cashier's check is denied by the issuing bank for any reason, your bank can, and will, reclaim that money from your account 30 days, 90 days, or even 6 months later.

I don't know if there is a statutory or policy limit on a bank's right to do that.

Once you deposit money into an account, it's considered to be the bank's money and they can do just about anything they want to.

Account holders at a bank are more like stockholders.

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Glad we don't have Craigslist.

Just sold something through the local Facebook Swap site and I will NEVER do that again. More [bleep] morons asking the most stupid questions known to mankind.

I swore I was in Oregon.

I was trying to sell a rifle on the local facebook gun and ammo trader. Some guy said he'd take the rifle for my asking price. He didn't show up for the first meeting, said he had car trouble. We met the next day, he looked at the rifle and said he'd take it, but he could only get $300 that day. He couldn't believe that I wouldn't let him make payments on the rest. People are funny.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
These scams really have some people scared, and for good reason. Last year I bought a fishing boat on craigslist in WA while I live in ID. By chance, the guy lived only a few miles from my sister. I told him that I'd send my sister a check, she'd cash it and pay him cash. Since I was from out of state, I had a hard time convincing him that CASH was good and it'd be placed directly in his hand. Once he got that through his head, he agreed and even offered to deliver it to my sister.

I take only cash and I pay only cash on CL.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Yup, it's a common scam. Almost every time I post on CL, I'll get an email like that, no matter what the item. You might get the certified check but it takes a couple weeks for the banks to clear one. When they decide it's fake, your car is long gone.
It's cash only for me.

^^^This^^^ CASH Only, when I sell something on CL.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Use craigslist, but cash only.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Like Travis said, this is a common scam.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
No messages from the scammer in response to my last two texts. What a surprise. I really appreciate you fellas edumacating this country bumpkin. I'm behind the curve on a few things but I can usually smell a rat.

Isn't it amazing how many people in third world sheitholes think stealing is a legitimate career? I wish they'd all die a slow painful death.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ive seen the same scam a few different times.
everything from bikes to used tires,cell phones.
I usually fug with them,tell them the shipper wants more money,send another check right way. grin

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've bought many large-ticket items with a check out of my area.

My last 2 pickups, I purchased out of state, and simply wrote the guys a check. Private seller went to his bank, they contacted my bank and got assurance of funds, check was written, title-work done and I was home that night after flying down to southern Idaho.

Other was a dealer in southern Oregon after hours on the weekend. Wrote a check, signed the title of my truck over to him and was on my way.

Point being, yes cash is desirable, but a check is alright, if you do some due diligence and keep your wits about you.

Bought the wife's car in southern Kansas last fall. Flew down with cash but the dealer asked me to write a check because they didn't want to and weren't certain how to handle and report the transaction.

Montana MOFO
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sold a vintage race bike tonight on Craigslist. Call came in saying it was from Odessa TX. Guy asks if I would deliver it for my asking price. I asked if he was in Odessa and he replied: "No, N. Dallas", which is only a little over 30 miles. He said he'd buy it if it ran strong.

Loaded it up and delivered. He rode it up and down his street a few times and said we had a deal. I have a Square app on my phone and took payment via credit card.

Didn't get home till about midnight and feel like I've have a new friend as well!

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Scams abound. I have been selling a house and have internet ads on zillow and elsewhere, and we every now and again get calls from people about "our house for rent." Scammers take our photos and description as renting the house out, hoping someone will send them money.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by utah708
Scams abound. I have been selling a house and have internet ads on zillow and elsewhere, and we every now and again get calls from people about "our house for rent." Scammers take our photos and description as renting the house out, hoping someone will send them money.
My daughters experiencing the same thing trying to sell their house. The scammers look for people to send first month rental payments and damage deposits to them. In areas where good rental property is hard to find, it probably snares some desperate and inexperienced renters. There should be a special Hell for criminals who would do this.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 2ndwind, 6MMWASP, 17 invisible), 1,586 guests, and 944 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,919
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.