Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 22 of 38 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 37 38
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Keep the good stuff coming. I am having issues with an SOB piggybacking my wireless router and knocking me offline.

I may gone for periods intermittently.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gadfly
The books you mentioned, plus many others about the 2nd Boer War are available for free download at Project Gutenberg.

Project Gutenberg

A.C. Doyle's narrative is the least biased from that time period.

Great link and just plain good stuff.

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by hillbillybear

Was this the same regiment that was involved at Rourke's Drift?

No, that was elements of 24th of Foot, the 2nd Warwickshire Regiment, with a few other Support troops as well...

Thanks for the info. I learned something new today.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Ok. I'll try again. Only the fifth time I've tried to post only to be told there was an occurrence that required a total shut down and reload.

The Chauchat was the first real endeavor in the development of what we know now as the squad assault weapon. The team consisted of a gunner and two asst. gunners. The a gunners were fitted with extra magazines. It was there duty to to watch the big slots in the mags and when ammo was depleted have a fresh one ready. Here was about the only real drawback the french had with the gun. Mags suceptable to mud etc.

The French also put the gunners and a gunners thru a three month course on the guns. Tactics ( walking fire), care and maintenance and shooting. The Americans had 2 weeks training with the guns before heading off to the front. The BIGGEST ISSUE with the guns and the doughboys was withthe guns the Americans tried to convert to 30/06 ctg. Several important parts were left out of the bolt assembly!

When you look at the old photos, as added security, you always see a poilu with his gun in transport case, on his way to front. The doughboys never use the transport case as suggested.

There are several operational Chauchats here locally in our little group of WWI hobbyist. One has recently been transferred to a new owner. I had one for a while, but I no longer have it in my possession. wink. Gone the way of the dodo!

Did you call your Chauchat the same thing the Doughboy's did?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MagMarc
Another exam question that drove my students nuts:

What weapon system that was used in the Spanish American War became the predominate weapon system on the Western Front in WWI?

7x57. Ingwe charged San Juan Hill with TR to get one. He then started looking for take off stocks, the rest is 24Hour history wink

I always thought it was a Waterloo and he took the 7x57 plans off Napoleon and sold them to Mauser.

He was way too old to have served with TR. grin

IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Ok. I'll try again. Only the fifth time I've tried to post only to be told there was an occurrence that required a total shut down and reload.

The Chauchat was the first real endeavor in the development of what we know now as the squad assault weapon. The team consisted of a gunner and two asst. gunners. The a gunners were fitted with extra magazines. It was there duty to to watch the big slots in the mags and when ammo was depleted have a fresh one ready. Here was about the only real drawback the french had with the gun. Mags suceptable to mud etc.

The French also put the gunners and a gunners thru a three month course on the guns. Tactics ( walking fire), care and maintenance and shooting. The Americans had 2 weeks training with the guns before heading off to the front. The BIGGEST ISSUE with the guns and the doughboys was withthe guns the Americans tried to convert to 30/06 ctg. Several important parts were left out of the bolt assembly!

When you look at the old photos, as added security, you always see a poilu with his gun in transport case, on his way to front. The doughboys never use the transport case as suggested.

There are several operational Chauchats here locally in our little group of WWI hobbyist. One has recently been transferred to a new owner. I had one for a while, but I no longer have it in my possession. wink. Gone the way of the dodo!

LOL! No.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
One of my ancestors from the part of the family that stayed in England. Also one of the few ancestors that wasn't a bootlegger or chicken thief. smile

http://www.angloboerwar.com/medals-and-awards/12-victoria-cross/219-parsons-francis-newton

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

LOL! No.

Man, I am disappointed. I figured for sure you would have done a whole soliloquy on it to rival your Shakespeare presentation. grin

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Oh, back to the Spanish American war for a minute with another exam question that stumped the students.

Did the United States Army use machine guns in the Spanish American War? If so, what company made them and what caliber of ammunition did they use?

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I need to get back into Frederick Russell Burnhams book, "Scouting On Two Continents". I was right in the middle when wifey's health went south. And Ive just been to tired to read at night when in I finally lay down. Suppose I should just start back from the beginning. It's a good read!!!

Founder

WS

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I need to get back into Frederick Russell Burnhams book, "Scouting On Two Continents". I was right in the middle when wifey's health went south. And Ive just been to tired to read at night when in I finally lay down. Suppose I should just start back from the beginning. It's a good read!!!

It is a great book and starting over on one those is never a mistake.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
They had colt mfg 1895's in .30 US Army. Gatling guns in 45/70 , 1" naval and I believe the 30 Army's were available too. I believe they also had some Nordenfelts in 1".

I don't think the US Army had any Gardner guns.

Technically Gatlings, Nordenfelts etc are t really machine guns.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 07/10/15.

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Cool pic of a Gatling Bulldog in the Phillipines!

[Linked Image]

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Good pic of the boys chasing Moros!

[Linked Image]

Founder

WS

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
They had colt mfg 1895's in .30 US Army. Gatling guns in 45/70 , 1" naval and I believe the 30 Army's were available too. I believe they also had some Nordenfelts in 1".

I don't think the US Army had any Gardner guns.

Technically Gatlings, Nordenfelts etc are t really machine guns.

Now where were you at in class? I could have really used you. smile

The Tiffany family donated two 1895 Colt guns to the Rough Riders chambered in 7x57 so they could use captured Spanish ammo after their own supply ran out.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

Did those Gatlings have 30 or 50 round magazines?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good pic of the boys chasing Moros!

[Linked Image]

Great picture.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K

[Linked Image]

Did those Gatlings have 30 or 50 round magazines?

Bet you can zoom in and count the ctgs in that tray!!! wink

Founder

WS

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Since you are discussing late 19th century firearms, I highly recommend you check out this from the Project Gutenberg Boer War collection: Surgical Experiences in South Africa, 1899-1900 by George Henry Makins

Lots of ballistic gack and some very interesting early x-rays of high velocity bullet wounds.

ego operor non tutela
Page 22 of 38 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 37 38

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

479 members (1badf350, 1shotnokilz, 17CalFan, 1moredeer, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 39 invisible), 2,128 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,541
Posts18,531,314
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.