Hop To
Page 23 of 38 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 37 38
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
Cool pic of a Gatling Bulldog in the Phillipines!

[Linked Image]

Did those Gatlings have 30 or 50 round magazines?

Bet you can zoom in and count the ctgs in that tray!!! wink

My eyes aren't that good. grin

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One of my ancestors from the part of the family that stayed in England. Also one of the few ancestors that wasn't a bootlegger or chicken thief. smile

http://www.angloboerwar.com/medals-and-awards/12-victoria-cross/219-parsons-francis-newton

hillbillybear,

Very interesting..

When the VC was first introduced, there was a policy to the effect it would not be awarded Posthumously.

This policy was not officially changed until 1902, which makes the VC awarded to your ancestor even more exceptional..

Regards,

Peter

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pete E
One of my ancestors from the part of the family that stayed in England. Also one of the few ancestors that wasn't a bootlegger or chicken thief. smile

http://www.angloboerwar.com/medals-and-awards/12-victoria-cross/219-parsons-francis-newton

hillbillybear,

Very interesting..

When the VC was first introduced, there was a policy to the effect it would not be awarded Posthumously.

This policy was not officially changed until 1902, which makes the VC awarded to your ancestor even more exceptional..

Regards,

Peter

I didn't know that about the VC award policy. Who would have had to approve such an award during this period?

Last edited by hillbillybear; 07/10/15.

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gadfly
Since you are discussing late 19th century firearms, I highly recommend you check out this from the Project Gutenberg Boer War collection: Surgical Experiences in South Africa, 1899-1900 by George Henry Makins

Lots of ballistic gack and some very interesting early x-rays of high velocity bullet wounds.

This some great stuff. The kind of thing a historian lives for.

Thanks for the link.

I would imagine this has to be one of if not the first study of its type.

Last edited by hillbillybear; 07/10/15.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Boer War/WWI Trivia:

What later world famous peace activist served with the British forces in South Africa during the Boer War and later in WWI?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I didn't know that about the VC award policy. Who would have had to approve such an award during this period?

To be honest, I am not 100% sure..The War Office would have had the primary responsiblity, but I have no doubt that there was wider political considerations also meaning the Giovernment of the day may well have had a say..

IIRC, during the Boer War there were 5 or 6 times when this particular policy was waiverd before the policy was eventually overhauled completely.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

To be honest, I am not 100% sure..The War Office would have had the primary responsiblity, but I have no doubt that there was wider political considerations also meaning the Giovernment of the day may well have had a say..

IIRC, during the Boer War there were 5 or 6 times when this particular policy was waiverd before the policy was eventually overhauled completely.

Thanks for the info.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Boer War/WWI Trivia:

What later world famous peace activist served with the British forces in South Africa during the Boer War and later in WWI?

Not sure about WW1, but I believe Gandhi served as a mdeical orderly or stretcher bearer or similar in the Boer War?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Boer War/WWI Trivia:

Not sure about WW1, but I believe Gandhi served as a mdeical orderly or stretcher bearer or similar in the Boer War?

It was the Mahatma. He served again in WWI.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Gadfly
Since you are discussing late 19th century firearms, I highly recommend you check out this from the Project Gutenberg Boer War collection: Surgical Experiences in South Africa, 1899-1900 by George Henry Makins

Lots of ballistic gack and some very interesting early x-rays of high velocity bullet wounds.

This some great stuff. The kind of thing a historian lives for.

Thanks for the link.

I would imagine this has to be one of if not the first study of its type.

If I recall correctly, there was a paper produced by an American surgeon on treating bullet wounds in the Spanish-American war, but I don't believe he had access to an x-ray machine.

ego operor non tutela
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I will do a little digging around and see if I can locate the Spanish American War report.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Anyone care to comment on M1909 Benet-Mercie MG?

They were hell on extractors and firing pins. And don't stick the ammo belt tab in upside down to load!!!!

But four MG teams at Columbus NM were able to expend over 20,000 Rounds the morning of Villa's raid.

The coolest read on the raid were the AAR's from the kitchen/mess hall. Seems the cooks and etc. all had shotguns for foraging and meat axes and cleavers for butchering. Not a pretty sight. They went medieval. And for the life of me I cannot remember the publication those reports are in. But I bet they could be located pretty easy.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What was the total casualty count on the Columbus Raid?

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Another side note. Mexican Revolution related. All those Krag Cavalry carbines that didn't end up in some hollyweird whse were "sold" by prez Wilson to Carranza's forces! Keep Carranza happy so he wouldn't invade Texas. He was in agreement on the plan of San Diego. That is until the US recognized him as the official de facto prez of Mexico.

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Casualty count is a hard one as Slocums gave Tompkins permissions on pursue the raiders. So there were actually several engagements

US losses were at 18. 8 soldiers, 10 civilians.

Raiders losses were between 175-200.

But who knows as to how many wounded died later in Mexico.

Tompkins and his 15 mile pursuit with a troop of his 13th Cav. Counted 100 dead in their action. Some put the count of bodies in Columbus proper at a total raider dead at 67.

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Archie Frost, his wife, and 6 month old baby drove their Dodge touring car thru a hail of rifle fire and made it to Deming. He wife was hit and wounded by one bullet. They could see see smoke of the burning town in Deming but had no clue what was going on. When they found out the first relief force to arrive in Columbus was I company 1st regt NMNG. They arrive the next afternoon. I believe they got their in private vehicle. They were leg infantry unit. This was the local NG unit out of Deming.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 07/11/15.

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
The action was a textbook example of small unit leadership. Just about the entire officers cadre was in El Paso for a polo match (convient!), junior officers and NCO's answered the call and established a defensive position and successful counter attack with minimal losses.

Founder

WS

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This is a pretty good read on the Columbus Raid and mentions the cooks and Benet-Mercie:

http://www.battlefieldreview.com/Columbus.asp

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Another side note. Mexican Revolution related. All those Krag Cavalry carbines that didn't end up in some hollyweird whse were "sold" by prez Wilson to Carranza's forces! Keep Carranza happy so he wouldn't invade Texas. He was in agreement on the plan of San Diego. That is until the US recognized him as the official de facto prez of Mexico.

Wilson the Pacifist Democrat. Bah Humbug mad

Page 23 of 38 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 37 38

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (7mm_Loco, 264mag, 280Ackleyrized, 300_savage, 15 invisible), 1,739 guests, and 896 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,060
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.