Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I am just about ready to pull the trigger on my first UTV. I am trying to strike the right balance on the add-ons, keeping the cost down reasonably but hopefully thinking through enough so that I don't regret not having the right options.

If you got a winch, are you glad you got it....and if you didn't get one, do you wish you did?

My first pickup was 2 wheel drive and I got stuck a few times and a winch would have been handy. My current truck is 4wd and I have not need a winch with it.

I will be using the UTV in the woods in steep terrain....but I will also not be trying to do crazy schit with it.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, yes , and yes again on the winch.

Utv are heavier than atv and will get hung up easier.

I have a 4500# superwinch on my ranger and it's saved me from walking a few times.

You can get a winch from other places than the dealer for a lot cheaper.

Got mine from amazon

And get the synthetic cable, your hands will thank you.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I absolutely wouldn't have either and ATV or UTV with out a winch. It's absolutely amazing what they can get you out of. I've been stuck so bad it took two machines with winches to get me out. Glad we had them. Not sure about your area but I know guys that bring an anchor attached to their winch in case there isn't anything handy to grab onto. What brand are you looking at?

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Did you mount it yourself....how difficult? Also, did you get the brush gaurd upgrade? It looks like the winch would fit under that, so might be difficult to mount with the brush guard. Thanks for the feedback.

I am looking at a Ranger....now I'm down to 570 mid-size w/ EPS.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Definitely get the winch. I go pretty easy on my UTV but I use the winch all the time. It can help do a lot more than get you unstuck

I bought mine at Northern Tool. Bought mounting bracket off eBay. Planned to install myself but then read the directions and looked at where the wires needed to go and took it to the dealer to install

I got a 3000 lb warn for a Kawasaki Mule 610 XC and haven't strained it yet

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A winch is a mandatory item if you are going to do much riding. You will use it to get yourself out of or into trouble, pull trees out of the trails, and for those friends who don't have a winch, free beer after you pull them out. You wont use it much but when you do it pays for itself several times over. If you go with synthetic rope be careful how it winds on the spool. We have had a couple bikes with rope and I have had to cut the ropes off both of them after the guys were trying to pull themselves out of an awkward position. I have had cable do the same thing but have been able to get it untangled.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Never had a UTV, but a winch us one if those 'better to have and not need, than need and not have' type of things. And, as has been said, you can use it for a lot more than just getting unstuck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yes, installed the winch myself. Maybe took an hour to tun wires and bolt it all up.

Amazon for the winch, ebay for the mounting plate and fairlead.

if you go synthetic get the solid fairlead, cable get the roller fairlead.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

So what are your choices ? Budget ?

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

I don't own a UTV, I own an ATV, but there is no way in the world I would have one and not have a winch. 4500lbs for the UTV

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Will be adding a winch to my polaris this fall prior to hunting season.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R

Thanks for the feedback, I just pulled the trigger over the phone and bought the 2015 Polaris Ranger 570 mid-size, with roof, windshield and winch.

It has been an interesting buying experience. A few weeks ago I went into two different dealerships and had them price a 900 with a bunch of add-ons. Then I got a price from a third dealer over the internet that was much lower.

What I didn't realize at the time is that this is the end of the model year and that is why rebates are high right now. Neither of the dealers mentioned anything about that.

I almost waited too late. Now the model 15's are sold out most places. I called the dealer that given me the best price on the full size and he was able to find me the mid-size. They're picking it up and giving me a great price. They're also lending me the trailer so I can deliver myself without having to buy one for a one time delivery, or pay to have somebody tow it. From a sales perspective it really pays to act like you give a crap and I appreciate that a lot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
although I went with a superwinch, it I had to do over I would probably go with a Viper winch.

THey get good reviews on the atv/utv forums and are cheaper.

Dave

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've used Warn and Superwinch, will never have another Superwinch. Warns have held up well for me.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Warne or Viper for me....Super Winch is junk. I had one take a crap on me.

I have a Viper on my Teryx, and it has pulled me out of a few situations.

Tony

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Knock on wood no problems with the superwinch for me. Used it hard 4 or 5 good times in the year I've had it.

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Winches are one of those things that will allow you to go places that without a one you wouldn't, or might be very risky.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pretty sure I'm going to get my folks one of the Deere 825 series. Great setup and matches all the other tractors and green stuff they have. But seriously a great setup with lots of accessories.

The winch is a definite. It eliminates that much dreaded noon time phone call. grin

Maybe this one. Or the 4-seater.

[Linked Image]

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (338reddog, AdamT204, 10gaugemag, 6MMWASP, 8 invisible), 1,671 guests, and 684 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,759
Posts18,514,954
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.