Campfire Ranger
Good stuff. Thanks all.

GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by JMR40
Winchester EW, in an Edge. Weighs 7lbs 5 oz as pictured. Puts 3 shots of most anything into .5-.75 MOA

[Linked Image]

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^

This Package is what floats my boat. A good friend put together a package very similar and I have been impressed with how it carries and shoots. Not very much you can't do with one like this for all BG in NA.

NB

Last edited by Natty_Bumpo; 07/11/15.

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
A (discontinued) Remington LVSF, if you can find one....yes, they made a few in .308. Might want to change out the stock.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I started looking at stainless rifles for goggles about a year ago. If I ever get one I think I would like to have a Savage 116 in .270 win.

Any opinions these?

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Funny how Rem discontinues some of the few configs I've liked.
Always repeating history.

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Mine of course!

T3 Lite 20"s with 2.5-10 compact nightforce.

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Mine of course!

[Linked Image]

Hi,do you find it appreciably worth it in carrying qualities to cut it to 20 inches?
Given it to do over again would you cut the barrel to 20 inches ?
Did you chrono it before and after ?

Thanks
Craig

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I like that chopped T3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've had good luck with ruger, but tikka is in a class of its own.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Winchester EW, in an Edge. Weighs 7lbs 5 oz as pictured. Puts 3 shots of most anything into .5-.75 MOA

[Linked Image]

I have a Kimber and it is nice too, but I don't consider it an all around rifle. If you absolutely have to keep weight down under 6 lbs scoped it is the best game in town. The Kimber is plenty accurate, but I just shoot this a bit better overall and at 7 1/4 lbs scoped isn't really heavy.

I agree with this. The EW makes for a more practical all-round rifle at a sensible weight. Even with steel rings and the B&C stock it isn't exactly heavy. Talley lightweights and a Leupold 4x33mm would be about as meat and potatoes as you can get in .308.

The Featherweight SS would also fit very well if Winchester would see fit to make it a regular catalog item.

Last edited by philthygeezer; 07/12/15.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I will put a Savage fcss Weather Warrior with its accustock and accutrigger up against any of them. Put some good glass on top and you're ready to go. You can only let the gun down, it will never let you down.

The slothful man roasteth not that which he took in hunting: but the substance of a diligent man is precious.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by bcraig
Mine of course!

[Linked Image]

Hi,do you find it appreciably worth it in carrying qualities to cut it to 20 inches?

Thanks
Craig

Craig.

I did not chrono it before and after. I have carried standard 22" sporters a fair amount to be familiar with their chracteristics. That said, when I was envisioning my perfect "all around" rifle, a 20" .308 was what always came to mind.

Depending on your terrain/hunting style, the shorter barrel may be of little value to you, or it may prove ideal for swinging around inside pickup cabs, working your way through under brush, whatever.

I hunt a mix of very open, typical western terrain, and dark northside timber. I probably could do just as well with a 22", but am very happy with the balance, handling and shooting characteristics of the 20".

Would I do it again? Absolutely.

In fact I just bought another T3 Lite .308. This one will be presented to my soon to be 13 year old daughter next month, for her first hunting rifle. It will be cut to 20"s as well, though I intend to put a brake on it for her, for recoil control, due to her scrawny frame. Adding a shortened stock, I think it will be ideal for her.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Mackay, just a thought.. Might it not be better to load the .308 with a lighter bullet and a little less powder for you daughters first hunts than put a brake on the rifle.. To me the blast of a brake out weights the recoil problem.. With a couple young folks, I just loaded a lighter bullet until they were older and more experienced.. Just an idea.. good shooting and good luck with the fall hunt.. They are just around the corner.

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

I have a Kimber and it is nice too, but I don't consider it an all around rifle. If you absolutely have to keep weight down under 6 lbs scoped it is the best game in town. The Kimber is plenty accurate, but I just shoot this a bit better overall and at 7 1/4 lbs scoped isn't really heavy.

That one is very nice. Just about perfect in fact.

Last edited by Pappy348; 07/13/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Wyo,

You are likely right. That said, I am trying to minimize my load development time, and standardize on loads in just a few cartridges. Time is one commodity I am very short on. I have a 155 grain Scenar load that works well in every .308 I have tried it in so far, as well as a 165 grain HPBT Game King that has proven superbly accurate, as well as very effective on big game.

My intent is to minimize loads and maximize time available to spend hunting, and teaching the kiddos how to hunt/shoot.

I will not argue your sound logic though.

Cheers!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by bcraig
Mine of course!

[Linked Image]

Thanks
Craig

Craig.

I did not chrono it before and after. I have carried standard 22" sporters a fair amount to be familiar with their chracteristics. That said, when I was envisioning my perfect "all around" rifle, a 20" .308 was what always came to mind.

Depending on your terrain/hunting style, the shorter barrel may be of little value to you, or it may prove ideal for swinging around inside pickup cabs, working your way through under brush, whatever.

I hunt a mix of very open, typical western terrain, and dark northside timber. I probably could do just as well with a 22", but am very happy with the balance, handling and shooting characteristics of the 20".

Would I do it again? Absolutely.

In fact I just bought another T3 Lite .308. This one will be presented to my soon to be 13 year old daughter next month, for her first hunting rifle. It will be cut to 20"s as well, though I intend to put a brake on it for her, for recoil control, due to her scrawny frame. Adding a shortened stock, I think it will be ideal for her.

Thanks
I did have Remington 660 308 Umteen Years ago and liked the short barrel.
I hunted the woods almost exclusively back then.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I gots to go with the Kimber Montana on this one.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Some really nice alternatives out there. My vote is for the Montana. Just about a perfect hunting rifle IMO. I will say that the Howa Alpine Mountain Rifle shoots really well and feels exceptionally nice to me. Not stainless, but rather Cerakote.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why people refer Montana and the roulette odds for the money. I just don't get it.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Dre
Why people refer Montana and the roulette odds for the money. I just don't get it.

I would not recommend if I really thought there was much of a Roulette game to be played. I have as much confidence in a Montana shooting and functioning well as any other comparably priced rifle.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 56 invisible), 2,572 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,283
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.