Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Pretty sure Optics Planet goofed and this is really the BUSHNELL 4500 Elite. I use their 4200 Elite series scopes and have had great luck with them. The 4500's are side focus.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Just a note to point out that Tasco doesn't "make" anything, as some have said on other Campfire threads. They have always been simply a brand name, with the products made wherever they can get them made to their specs, at a price they can sell for profitably. Some Tasco optics have been pretty good (even very good) and some haven't, and sometimes the "same" product was changed from one factory to another, which could affect quality either way.

Bushnell is the same sort of company. When Dave Bushnell started in the company in the 1950's they basically imported copies of Weaver scopes, and most were even better than Weavers. In 1993 I went on a safari in South Africa and the owner of one ranch was originally from Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) and had been a control shooter and PH all his adult life. The scope on his .458 Winchester that had killed thousands of elephant and buffalo was a 2.5x Bushnell purchased in the 1950's, and it had never given him a spec of trouble.

On the other hand, I have tested products from several importing companies (including Tasco and Bushnell) that changed so radically between the prototype stage and actual production that, other than appearance, they could have been different optics.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by Bighorn
A $600 Tasco!

I don't care who you are, now, that right there is FUNNY!!!

Yes, I could buy two USA made Leupold VX2's for that. Or 3 VX1's.

USA made is really stretched when it comes to Leupold. They're great scopes but the important part of the scope is the glass, and that's not made in the USA.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Just a note to point out that Tasco doesn't "make" anything, as some have said on other Campfire threads. They have always been simply a brand name, with the products made wherever they can get them made to their specs, at a price they can sell for profitably. Some Tasco optics have been pretty good (even very good) and some haven't, and sometimes the "same" product was changed from one factory to another, which could affect quality either way.

Thats a common business model in the sports optic sector..

Hawke is another that springs to mind, although they seem to watch QC fairly closely..

Going back to TASCO, I believe originally their better quality stuff was built by Hakko Optics of Japan and the made some pretty decent scope.

Hakko produced scopes for a lot of other companies, but eventually lost business to other Pacific competitors.

I believe Hakko went out of business some time ago, but a new company Japanese Optics Limited is now using the Hakko name again. I’ve no idea whether this was a take over or whether “Hakko” is now just a marketing name?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have no idea either.

Most optics companies these days are actually subcontractors/importers. Very few make everything under one roof (or even in several factories), and even those that do usually have some of the work done elsewhere, or obtain major parts from elsewhere. So quality control and customer service are actually the biggies, no matter what the name of the company.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks to MD and Pete for accurately cover what I've learned about TASCO and Pacific Rim production.

The original Tasco Titan was made by Hakko according to Chris Ferris at SWFA for them, and was/is very good. I have several and have virtually no complaints - maybe better eye relief if I want to be picky. Fully multicoated lens, sturdy construction, hold zero very well even after transcontinental travel, good in low light, what's not to like?

Shows how products change, especially as owners change.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Bighorn
A $600 Tasco!

I don't care who you are, now, that right there is FUNNY!!!

Years back, Tasco went toe to toe with the Alpha Euro's with their Japanese Titan. It was 30mm, a very well made glass. I think their price point was around $600 and it probably was a $600 scope quality wise.

With the Tasco name, it flopped. I have two of the mid range Titans, think I got them for less than $200, used on Ebay. They are still a bargain when you can find one. I'm talking about the early Jap Titans, not the later Chinese version.

Bushnell bought B&L and continued their Elite series. I have a B&L Elite 6-24x40, recently sold a Bushnell Elite 6-24x40. I couldn't tell any difference between the two, same specs both made by the same factory.

I think using the Tasco name on anything other than low end glass would be a marketing error, based on past history.

DF

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The great thing about a $600.00 Tasco would be the high resale value!!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Huntz
The great thing about a $600.00 Tasco would be the high resale value!!!

Yep... grin

That's what makes the early Jap Titans such a good buy on the used market. Most people don't know how good a scope it really is and are turned off by the Tasco name. I don't see them available that often. They're sorta big and bulky, but for a big gun, they're OK. Lots of glass for the buck.

DF

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have several of the old Tasco Pro-Class pistol scopes and those things were pretty solid. I've got one that's survived 600-700 full house loads from a 375 JDJ that scrambled a couple other optics previously.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've ate a lot of venison taken with the aid of a Tasco scope.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by reelman
but the important part of the scope is the glass, and that's not made in the USA.

Wouldn't you say the important parts of a scope are the erector systems, parts quality, and quality control?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
not when your scopes are like Lone Wati's piece of hard rock candy, "It's not for eating(using), it's just for looking thru"......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pete E
If I wanted to give a scope a "leg up" the last thing I'd do is label it TASCO!

Worked for SWFA Super Sniper..

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
$600 Tasco.. That's Lot Coins For a Pain Stirrer...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That is the problem. Hypothetically speaking his can be NF quality, tracking, clarity, durability with Leupold VX3 pricicng........................BUT with a name like Tasco who wants to risk it?

Like the Bushnell elite 6500. Bushnell name but these turned out to be awesome scopes. I have a few.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
not when your scopes are like Lone Wati's piece of hard rock candy, "It's not for eating(using), it's just for looking thru"......

Great scene! smile

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Pete E
If I wanted to give a scope a "leg up" the last thing I'd do is label it TASCO!

What he said..

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I know the bushnell scopes are top notch but the name is ingrained in my mind as junk form years ago....can't help it....Sam with tasco. Just can't buy em...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (16penny, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 1234, 52 invisible), 2,407 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,520
Posts18,472,585
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.