B
for N american whitetail and a trip to africa perhaps someday

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
30-06 Everyday ending in Y

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
30-06. I think one rifle for everything is BS. If I can afford a trip anywhere that I'd need anything bigger than 30-06 a 2nd rifle will be pocket change.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For PG the 30/06 is perfect, save the money on the second rifle and I can get you more trophies instead.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JJHACK
For PG the 30/06 is perfect, save the money on the second rifle and I can get you more trophies instead.

Truth and wisdom here!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JMR40
30-06. I think one rifle for everything is BS. If I can afford a trip anywhere that I'd need anything bigger than 30-06 a 2nd rifle will be pocket change.

I call BS.

Many of us who have gone to Africa did it on a shoestring, and the cost of another rifle with associated government fees and permits means one less animal on the hunt.

Except for dangerous game, a 30-06 is a great one-rifle choice.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
But.....
If DG is going to be on the menu a 375 is the perfect all rounder. And even though I love the old -06, a 375 can do anything an -06 can do, granted with a bit more kick and powder.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Brian
for N american whitetail and a trip to africa perhaps someday

Yeah, a 30-06 and 375 H&H will work quite nicely for these things you speak of... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

If you don't listen to this advice, you'll wish you had....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Mostly N. American WT's with a perhaps an African trip, the '06 is a no brainer. I have a great .375 H&H, but wouldn't want to be using it exclusively for WT's and such.

With the '06 suitable for most everything, I'd sure go with it and if a bigger gun was needed in Africa, I'd borrow one from the PH.

That old "only can have one" idea is enough to cause bad dreams and severe anxiety... shocked

I can't be thinking such thoughts.

DF

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
my brother-in-law is a gunsmith. he said his job is based upon people buying and building what they want vs. what they need.

he said if everyone bought a basic .22 and a 30-06 based upon their hunting "needs" vs "wants" he would be out of business.

granted if you want the dangerous game of africa that isn't going to hold true but I think I would just go with a nice 30-06 and borrow a rifle if I decided I wanted to shoot something bigger in africa

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Get the .375 H&H.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I don't know? Wisconsin has some HUGE Dangerous whitetails! LOL

These questions make me shake my head when I see every bodies suggestions without knowing much more. But based on what we do know I'd likely suggest the 06.

That said if you are going to reload & you can only have one. My choice would be the 375H&H as it has been for me since 1996. I've hunted everything from rock chucks to elk with it and enjoyed every outing. Could I have done it with a 30-06 sure. But I'd always wanted a 375H&H so I got one. Had 30-06's in the past plus a bunch of other rifles in other chambering. But I never kept them and used them as much as I have the 375H&H. It's a real fun cartridge to hunt with if you want too. For me the long HUNTING history of the 375H&H as being "The All Round Hunting Cartridge" drew me to this fantastic round.

I guess you need to look at what you want. Do you want to lug a rifle that weighs in around 7 to 8 pounds (06) or 9-1/2 to 10 pounds (375H&H)? Do you want to reload or use factory ammo? All the expert advice given still comes down to what you want. Which ever you choose, shoot it a lot and enjoy it.

Cheers!

BTW: I asked the same question to myself in 1996 with the exception instead of a 30/06 it was a 300H&H.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My plan has always been to buy a .375 if and when Africa came up, then sell it when I got back. I have previously owned several pre 64 Winchester 70s in the caliber, one Browning Safari, and one Mark X. In my opinion, there is no need to tolerate either recoil or rifle weight of a .375 for deer/elk. Just one opinion.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd rather have my 375 H&H in Africa over any other rifle that I own. Bring the rifle that will handle the biggest animal that you have any chance of encountering.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

A hearty "Amen" from the back row! I borrowed the outfitters rifle on my first safari, which was in SA....several of the loaners were -06's.

Last edited by JGRaider; 07/16/15.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
A serious reloader could make a .375 do about anything... But those guns tend to be pretty heavy for general use.

A serious reloader could make a 30-06 do about anything... cool

A non reloader would just about have to go with the '06. Plenty of ammo options on the dealers shelf for the '06. Not so much for the .375.

IMO,

DF

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
IF you do not intend to hunt Dangerous Game, then take the 30-06 and live happily.

IF you do intend to hunt DG, then buy a .375 in the same make/model as your '06 some 4 months before going. That will cost you maybe $1200 if you get a Winchester or Remington...Sell it when you get back.

I have a .375 in the safe...and candidly I have no idea why...except one day I do want to hunt Cape Buff. In the meantime it's just a useless hunk of steel...

Hunt Africa while you can
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rnovi

I have a .375 in the safe...and candidly I have no idea why...except one day I do want to hunt Cape Buff. In the meantime it's just a useless hunk of steel...

BLASPHEMY!!
Take that 375 out and use it. BTW mine only weighs a couple of ounces over 9lbs. Not a lightweight but certainly light enough to hunt with regularly.
And I certainly would never hunt DG with a borrowed rifle.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
A serious reloader could make a .375 do about anything... But those guns tend to be pretty heavy for general use.

A serious reloader could make a 30-06 do about anything... cool

A non reloader would just about have to go with the '06. Plenty of ammo options on the dealers shelf for the '06. Not so much for the .375.

IMO,

DF
Gonna disagree with you DF.

In a .30/06 I would use a 180 gr bullet of either Nosler Partition or Swift A-Frame.

In a .375 H&H it would be a 300 gr in the same choices and a solid from Hornady.

Don't need a bazillion of factory ammo choices,just one bullet weight in each. Remember the KISS method...Keep It Simple Stupid. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 99Ozarks, 673, 15 invisible), 1,469 guests, and 955 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,489
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.