Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
a long time ago, in another life, i use to patrol as a reserve in the same area, doing the same thing. Nearest backuup often was an hour away, and spotty radio contact. There are some wierd people living up in the hills around ash fork. I always look for how many teeth are left in people i run across up there.
According to the article the guy was shot three times with a a.r.15 type rifle, but survived it, got to his patrol car, and drove out.

http://www.kpho.com/story/29520955/...ured-to-shooting-site-by-speeding-driver

Last edited by RoninPhx; 07/11/15.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep Ron, some real sketchy ones out there. I've hunted out there and seen a few.

Someone needs to give that volunteer a cookie.

Folks also have to watch out for the "cedar people" living on their 40 acre plots out in the pinon/junipers east of Snowflake. Hunted out there on a friend's lease ranch and was warned to stay away from a few places.

Oh, I may have forgotten to tell you, no whitetail for me on that hunt in the oak creek/sycamore canyon area last year. Great time though, cold too.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glad the deputy survived this encounter.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I generally each year when we are camped, deer hunting, elk hunting up there tell people in camp to watch their backs. Too many instances in my memory. I think sometimes people think i am being overreactive.
But, i did go as part of a honor guard for a reserve for coconino at the time i was doing it, watching him get planted in the ground. He had came up to a camp, the people overpowered him, cuffed him to a tree, and used him for target practice with his own ar15.
Lot of meth cooking and pot production up their these days.
I keep expecting to hear dueling banjo's.
He was lucky he survived it. The one thing i am not sure of is he was a reserve, so i wonder if the county is going to pick up the medical bills? Never thought about that when i was doing it.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Yep Ron, some real sketchy ones out there. I've hunted out there and seen a few.

Someone needs to give that volunteer a cookie.

Folks also have to watch out for the "cedar people" living on their 40 acre plots out in the pinon/junipers east of Snowflake. Hunted out there on a friend's lease ranch and was warned to stay away from a few places.

Oh, I may have forgotten to tell you, no whitetail for me on that hunt in the oak creek/sycamore canyon area last year. Great time though, cold too.

Geno

I am familar with that area too, like around vernon, heber and the like. Living on the 40acres in the junipers. It doesn't have to be far out tho. Some years ago i was deer hunting on a mountain just a couple of miles from downtown prescott. Felt like somebody was watching me, and saw movement. Somebody in a camo'd bunker cave dug into the side of a mountain. There are over 200 drug rehab homes in prescott these days. And they wander around when they are released.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
i did manage to pop a two point buck in unit 8 last fall. He wanted to die. I had jammed my ruger rifle, and had trouble getting a round into the chamber. He conveniently waited till i did. And I did get him, kind of surprising as i was using a .270.
I was talking to somebody the other day about some hidden cliff dwellings in the sycamore canyon/oak creek area. Still haven't figured out how to get on them.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 07/11/15.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
How come those guys never come my way. I saw everything but whitetail bucks. Cow elk at 80 yds broadside, cow tag two years ago, not this year. Bull elk (5 of them ) crossing the road in front of me. Big winter flock of turkey, closest came 13 yds, they don't do that during turkey season, whitetail does, mule deer does, good size cougar tracks where I ate lunch one day, bobcat tracks, and last day hunting a nice 4x4 muley with his nose up a doe's behind who would have been an easy stalk.

Congrats on yours tho.

Geno

P.S. Any word on how that deputy is doing?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Really sorry to read that the "good guy" got shot by some weirdos.

That area sounds like a good place to stay away from, eh? If these fools will shoot at a reserve patrolman acting as a law-enforcement officer, they'll definitely shoot at anyone else that happens by.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
just that he is in the hospital in flagstaff. The common joke as to hunting in 8 is during turkey season you will see elk, elk season you see turkey or deer. As to cat, they are around up there. I was told by a taxidermist that that area just south of the grand canyon and north of williams is loaded with mt lion. Pretty sure there are wolves operating now in unit 8.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
as to staying away from, it's not much of an option these days if you want to get out in the sticks. Between narco/cartel issues, smuggling people, meth cooking and pot farms. You just have to be aware.

IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Man, ya'll got some kooks out there. I am glad to hear that the deputy survived and I hope he will be o.k. Prayers sent from N.C. for him.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's time to clean house. Society is going to pay dearly for this experiment.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
probably wasn't too many miles (20?) from where they surrounded the bank robber/gun dealer killer family last year, was it?

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
" ... The one thing i am not sure of is he was a reserve, so i wonder if the county is going to pick up the medical bills? ...

RoninPHX, I have no idea how it works in Arizona, but in Calif., a Sworn Reserve Deputy Sheriff is an employee of the county in which he serves. If a Sworn Reserve Deputy is hurt while ON DUTY, he or she is covered by the same medical plan, etc., as a regular Deputy.

If Arizona has the same plan, the wounded Reserve Deputy will be covered for his medical expenses, etc., by the county.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I would hope this is the case. In my time i was sworn, certified, etc etc. And it was a long time ago and think we had some coverage. At the time a question always was lets say you got killed, coverage was pretty skimpy for the widow.
This guy was 70years old and taking a couple hits in the pelvis, his life for sure won't be the same. Yavapai county is a pretty big county, and these guys working the highline are a lot of times on their own. I just think he had big nads to get in his vehicle and get out of there after being shot.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That can be a nasty area. I drop my girls off with their grandfather in Seligman sometimes and I am always well armed when we go up there. As was said Turkey during elk season is true in 8. Haven't seen any wolves there though. The group homes thing is going to haunt us for a while. I hope Prescott Valley gets ahead of the ball.

If you don't have anything nice to say, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.

When it's time to bury your guns it's time to dig em up.
X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
From the article; "Detectives searched the property and located numerous firearms, including a .50-caliber rifle (reportedly used by Gregory Niedermeyer in the shooting)" . There is a picture of it and it sure do look like a semi .50 rifle.

Short of a grazing hit IF the guy got hit by a .50 in the pelvic area one would think the potential for bleeding out would be quite high!??

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

177 members (2ndwind, 1_deuce, 01Foreman400, 375TN, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 280shooter, 27 invisible), 2,026 guests, and 984 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,325
Posts18,505,862
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.