Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
I've always checked the rifle at the airport but I'm thinking of mailing it to myself.
I'd send it to the guides home in AK two weeks before the hunt.
I am also considering this due to a layover in Seattle.
Has anyone else done this? What are your thoughts pro or con?

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am not a gunwriter, but I will try and answer your question. Does your guide have an FFL license? Otherwise you could be in violation of the law.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I found this link which tries to describe what you want to do. Maybe you can...

http://www.losttarget.com/firearmshipping.htm

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You can mail it from yourself to yourself. Your guide does not need to be an FFL, he just cannot open the package.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mart
You can mail it from yourself to yourself. Your guide does not need to be an FFL, he just cannot open the package.

Yup!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It is not unusual for mail clerks to not know or understand the rules for mailing a firearm. The rules are quite specific and are found in the DMM - domestic mail manual. I'm on my smartphone now or I'd research it for you. Shoot me a PM as a reminder and I'll look up the portion you need to print out and take to the post office. As I recall a firearm has to be mailed by registered mail.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by barm
I am not a gunwriter, but I will try and answer your question. Does your guide have an FFL license? Otherwise you could be in violation of the law.

Stick with the paintball forum.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
I've always checked the rifle at the airport but I'm thinking of mailing it to myself.
I'd send it to the guides home in AK two weeks before the hunt.
I am also considering this due to a layover in Seattle.
Has anyone else done this? What are your thoughts pro or con?

It's entirely up to you, personally I'd ship.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I believe I'd ship it as well.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Oh, where in Alaska you flying to? I've spent 2 days in Anchorage before I could get to Kodiak.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is NO WAY I'd trust the USPS to deliver my rifle where I needed it, when I needed it.

If anything goes awry, I know the airlines will bust their butt to find a firearm whereas the USPS has too many apathetic functionaries to care.

Check it on the plane.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have mailed my rifle to AK 3 times. Use priority mail. It will be there in three days but I would still allow plenty of extra time. I put the hard case inside a cardboard carton that I made myself and re-used it to ship back home. Address the package to yourself ICO (in care of) the person you are mailing to. Perfectly legal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead

If RickBin asks me to, I will. Who are you?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you decide to ship the gun to yourself, just be sure you do it in plenty of time to get confirmation of it's arrival before you get on the plane......and by the way, you don't have to tell anyone what is in the package so if you are asked, simply say it's telescoping fishing poles or some such thing.

I've been terribly surprised how long it takes to get stuff shipped to Alaska and then get confirmation of it's arrival. That said, I'd do that before I fought the idiots that make up their own rules for the airlines when they don't have a clue what their own airlines rules are.

If I was to make a return trip to Africa, I'd not take a gun.....I'd use one furnished by my outfitter.

As to ammo?....ship it UPS or FedEx with a ORMD label on it and again with plenty of time to get confirmation of it's arrival before you get on the plane.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by hatari
There is NO WAY I'd trust the USPS to deliver my rifle where I needed it, when I needed it.

If anything goes awry, I know the airlines will bust their butt to find a firearm whereas the USPS has too many apathetic functionaries to care.

Check it on the plane.

Why not, I've NEVER had a problem mailing a rifle to myself. Do it far enough out and should their be a problem, mail another.

I trust USPS more than I do airlines.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead

If RickBin asks me to, I will. Who are you?

Someone who doesn't guess.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Ship one, carry one on the airline- One of the should get there

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would use Fed Ex or UPS if shipping

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Joe,
I did this a couple of years back and it worked great.
Rifle flew back home with me.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bea175
I would use Fed Ex or UPS if shipping

Well I must preface by saying I also did not know that you could do this, although now that I do, I will very much use this method over fighting an airline!

As to the statements about USPS or the others above, at least in this areas USPS is the way to go. Locally to here, Fed ex makes you ship a rifle overnight, and USPS says that they will not ship unless to an FFL. I don't agree with either, just repeating what the boneheads say. By comparison, USPS is no prob.

good info to know, thanks for the edu-ma-cation!

Last edited by iambrb; 07/15/15.

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

128 members (35, arky65, 240NMC, 10Glocks, afisher, 9 invisible), 1,512 guests, and 813 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,601
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.