Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Almost every day in the fall and winter they can be heard as they bunch up in our timber right at dusk. They have stood right outside of our basement door and peered in. During February when the bitches are in heat it gets crazy. I have a six inch Taurus Judge loaded with the buckshot shells that I keep handy. I have killed 13 of them in the fourteen years that we have lived her with various guns .

They do try to get single dogs to follow them back to the pack. There is not a domestic dog in the world that can take on a big group of them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Heard them again last night close to the NM Turquoise Trail. About 3 am, then nothing.

Believe me, if they get closer than 1/2 mile, I will be looking of them. They are not going to mess with my dogs.

One of my neighbors had one kill his small dog right in front of him. Broke its neck and it died two days later. i do not plan for that to happen with mine.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Anjin
Heard them again last night close to the NM Turquoise Trail. About 3 am, then nothing.

Believe me, if they get closer than 1/2 mile, I will be looking of them. They are not going to mess with my dogs.

One of my neighbors had one kill his small dog right in front of him. Broke its neck and it died two days later. i do not plan for that to happen with mine.

I had a house at the edge of town in NM. Last count of coyotes I shot off the porch was 10...

More than a couple of those were after the wife's Corgi.

They are emboldened close to towns, or in town.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Anjin
Since I moved to the hills east of Albuquerque two months ago, the neighbors warned me about coyotes' killing the small dogs and cats.

I've put my four Jack Russell Terriers in their cages in the garage every night before sundown and they seem happy to go. I have about an acre fenced in, but the fence is only about four feet high, not enough to keep out coyotes or mountain lions. Maybe because of their upbringing in Japan, the dogs spend most time on the one-story elevated patio, not in the scrub away from the house.

In the past two weeks, I've heard coyotes howling three times between two and 4:30 am and I may have slept through others. Clearly they are here.

The problem is proximity of other houses, as most of us have only about 2.5 acres. I'd pop the 'yotes, but one has to take care not to disturb the neighbors. I've considered .22 target loads and 12 gauge turkey loads, but either of those seems very loud in the quiet nights here, Thoughts?

not sure about your backstop, or local ordinances, but a 22 air rifle might be what you need.

If you are truly surrounded by 2.5 acre lots with houses, probably no safe backstop. Not much chance of "thinning out" the coyotes, as there is too much opportunity at every other house.

Silencer, or CB caps might help, if/when you see them. My guess is you won't get much time to make a shot.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Here's my pack. Seventy yards from the patio door. My dear sweet cat has thus far been lucky. I popped a couple of shots at one of the small ones last week when I caught him on the patio.[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've never heard them at my house here in SE Georgia, but I have seen them crossing the front yard a couple of times at night. We don't have too many in this neighborhood evidently, but they do pass through. It would probably take more than one to want to give my dog much trouble.

Harry
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Hear them most nights by my house but reside 30 miles outside of the nearest small city

I enjoy listening to them but when they start hurting the local deer I take a few out.

This guy used to sleep in my drive way during the day while at work

He is hanging on my sofa now
[Linked Image]

Last edited by ribka; 07/18/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mostly hear them a little before sunrise around here. Two dens, one northwest somewhere and another off to the east. When I take the Aussie for a walk, she shows me all the scent stations and marks them for herself.

They were pretty scarce during the drought, but like everything else, they are rebounding as the prey base recovers. You can't kill enough of them the make a difference, so take the ones that are causing a problem and leave the rest alone...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't hear no steenkin coyotes

but I can see Russia from my porch

if I'm lookin at the world Atlas

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i here them just west of us

FJB
IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Does it count if I can hear them from my camp?

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Never heard one from the house as we live in the 'burbs but had a large one run down the street in front of the truck a while back. It ducked down a highly traveled exercise path along a gully.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
We hear them frequently here. Shoot every one that sticks its nose out. Heard wolves yesterday at 9a.m.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
I don't hear no steenkin coyotes

but I can see Russia from my porch

if I'm lookin at the world Atlas

grin

I got a porch, I just have to invest in an Atlas!

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
things i've seen and heard in town, south side of corpus. coyote's, foxes, javilina, hogs, coons and bobcats. south side of corpus butts up to the king ranch out in the bluff. oh and deer my brother use to kill a couple nice bucks every yr with his bow in back yard.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ranger1
[Linked Image]
I can hear coyotes, antelope, meadowlarks, some owls, and not much of anything else. Absolute silence 99% of the time when I sit on my porch other than the occasional critter making noise.

Pure heaven!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Since the Wolves moved in you rarely hear Yotes.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I live in town, and we hear them every so often.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Right now, I live on an island with no coyotes.
That allows the free ranging of hens all day long.
But they must be cooped up at night, or the raccoons will get them.

In the past I have lived with coyotes.
#4 shot 12 gauge works better than #00 buckshot at 40 yards on coyotes.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I literally live right on a creek and hear them most nights. Rarely see them unless I shine a light. Have seen cougar in daytime and the usual local predators..bobcats, etc.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (7mm_Loco, 10Glocks, anothergun, 6mmbrfan, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 6 invisible), 1,496 guests, and 620 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,515
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.