Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
U
USMC86 Offline OP
OP Offline
U
First, thanks for the advice this group gave me concerning my Stith mount and Balfor scope. Shims from Brownell worked beautifully and I'm sighted in with good old Remington PSP (.250 Savage).

Some follow up questions. First, what does this group consider to be reasonable accuracy for a three shot group at 100 yards for a .250? How about a .358? I can't read the lever boss codes, but the serials are 603199 for the .250 and 918875 for the .358. Both have 4x scopes. I'm averaging slightly under an inch with modern Remington ammo for the .250 and slightly over an inch with vintage Winchester Silvertips at 100 yards. The .358 is anywhere from an 1.25"-1.75" with GameKing and A- Frame hand loads.

Second question. The trigger on the .358 is decent, but the .250 is hideous. I'd like to have it lightened and smoothed....does anyone know of a gunsmith that is experienced working on older '99's?

I drew an awesome unit in Wyoming for antelope this year, and my once-in-a-lifetime moose tag in Washington, so both of these are getting a workout this fall! I'll post some pics if things work out.

Thanks in advance!

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
You have great accuracy with your 250, consistent MOA practice will give you confidence you are on target when in the field. I'd consider 1-1/2 to 2 MOA with your 358, and factory ammo, to also be great! You may improve on it with handloads, but I'd be very happy with those results, very happy.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I also got a box of Winchester Silver tips when I picked up my .358. I was getting up to 6 inch groups with it. Terrible. I reloaded with Hornady and things got way better. I think I would be happy with what you have.
Been discussed here before, but messing with the trigger mechanism to lighten it up is not a good idea. Clean it the best you can and maybe a little gun grease. It is amazing the hard, packed dirt that is in an old receiver. Most contact areas are usually quite smooth already and rarely have rough spots or burrs.

Last edited by Gunplummer; 07/16/15. Reason: add
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I think anything hovering around an inch, give or take, is great for a 99. Seems to me that any gains beyond that would be found in experimenting with different loads (factory and home brew) and shooting technique. But the latter would be moot as you don't shoot game from a bench.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Take gunplummer's advice re: triggers. The design of the 99 trigger/sear doesn't lend itself to the kind of trigger pulls we have come to expect on bolt guns. The mating surfaces can be polished with hard fine stones- but only by someone who is cognizant of the subtle angles involved. The crispness (or lack thereof) is attributable to the amount of engagement between the sear and the hammer (striker). The more engagement you have, the more creep you have. A light crisp, creep-free pull to me would denote a hair's breath of engagement that I wouldn't want on a rifle that may see rugged use. Best advice from me: have fun and shoot the heck out of it to acclimate yourself to the trigger as-is.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This probably will come as no surprise to some here, but honestly, I don't see the big deal with working on triggers on the 99's. Maybe it's because I'm careful by nature???

I can always learn something though, so if I do another, I'll try to make it harder than it actually is. crazy grin

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I find most 99 Savage triggers acceptable for hunting use. Also, I've not been able to improve much on the Remington 100 grain factory loads for the 250.

I'd start with a good cleaning and lube to see what that does for your trigger. If I did any stoning, it would be very sparse.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
The big No-No with the 99 trigger is removing metal to shorten the sear engagement and reduce creep. It looks like a good idea but it IS NOT. As the action goes into battery there is a point in the cycle where that engagement gets pretty short as compared to when it is fully locked. That's when the slam-fire happens.

Polish the mating surfaces and put a good lube on them and you're done.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll buy a lot of types of rats.. but I won't buy any 99 I know where somebody messed with the trigger.

But then again I don't shoot other people's reloads either.

Life is too short to do stupid things.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Calhoun

Life is too short to do stupid things.

NOW you tell me!!

Savage triggers aren't always the lightest, but even my stiff ones have next to nothing for creep and travel, and that makes all the difference. Handed my recent 99 acquisition to my FIL, told him cocked it, squeeze and guess the pull weight. He said a fat 4 lbs. It checks in at 5 1/2 lbs . The crisp ones can fool you and be very manageable.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I would say to anyone who wonders about their trigger to just pull the butt stock off and watch how the trigger/sear/hammer interact as the bolt is closed, both slowly and rapidly. By doing so, one can see exactly what Lightfoot is talking about.

The action I used for my recent build would slam fire each time the lever was worked, when I got it. Looking closely I could see where someone shortened the nose of the sear, probably in an attempt to reduce creep. That led me on a quest when I did final assembly, for a trigger/sear/hammer combo that had me muttering a few bad words, and which Mike (Lightfoot) helped me resolve thanks to his vast parts inventory!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I might also add that with the mating surfaces nicely polished and the angles carefully maintained, and the sear nose not shortened, a very respectable trigger pull is achieved. Even with a healthy sear engagement, under those circumstances what feels like a crisp pull is actually of longer duration than one might think- the slipperiness masks the drag of the pieces sliding out of contact.

Don't overlook the key role the trigger spring plays in all this too.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
That is a pretty good idea to tell someone to pull the stock and watch what is going on. It is not just an inconvenience, it is a safety factor. I always liked THE RIFLEMAN show, but it really wakes you up when you shoot at a deer and the second one you jack in goes off as soon as the lever closes.

U
USMC86 Offline OP
OP Offline
U
Thank you one and all for the input and advice. I wasn't aware of the potential safety issues associated with trigger work on these guns. Slamfire? That sounds horrible! I want no parts of that.

I had ordered a video that demonstrated how to disassemble a '99....did that and was surprised about the years of accumulated gunk in there. You guys were right about that. Cleaned and lubed sparingly, really seemed to help with the .358 but not so much with the .250. Oh well, I'll love it for what it is!

Anyone ever use the old Winchester Silvertips on game? Any insight on how well they work? It'd be neat to use vintage ammo in a vintage gun this fall.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Both in 250 and .303. PERFECT nuff said. Vintage rifle,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,vintage ammo. What's NOT to understand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by USMC86

Anyone ever use the old Winchester Silvertips on game? Any insight on how well they work? It'd be neat to use vintage ammo in a vintage gun this fall.

Both in 250 and .303. PERFECT nuff said. Vintage rifle,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,vintage ammo. What's NOT to understand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

E
ekp Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I also have two boxes of silver tips for 303. One box before warning label. Going to keep them for display with rifle.

"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit"

Oscar Wilde
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Idaho Ordinance. 208 420 6163. George has done wonderful trigger work for my 99's.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have seen posts like yours before. It usually means the guy did no more than what was discussed here. If you need a hair trigger to hunt, buy a bolt action.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Idaho Ordinance. 208 420 6163. George has done wonderful trigger work for my 99's.

No sir, you are mistaken. The trigger on a 99 cannot be substantially improved, you're stuck with it, get used to it, etc etc etc.

LOL
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (7mm_Loco, 338Rules, 6MMWASP, 10gaugemag, 11 invisible), 1,449 guests, and 771 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,661
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.