Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Focus on the undergarment.
Carhardt pants, wool shirts, Columbia headgear ànd quality gloves.
Windproof is important.
You can get really cheap wool garments off eBay. Think I paid 9 bucks for this Sitton of California jacket.
[Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Northeast Pa here, I like the merino base layer with a Woolrich shirt. Temp pending, i'll wear a insulated vest, if its cold or snowing I'll through an older cabelas hunting coat over top of everything. If I want to sit and its real cold I'll wear insulated bibs.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
First lite has some good stuff! Carhart insulated Bibs are another good thing to have for the coldest days. I haven't purchased it yet but looking into a Cabelas Goretex Parka think it's a MT050 or something?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
You aren't gonna find one garment that will work for everything. Buy a decent size daypack and carry layers. I dress pretty light even in really cold weather getting into where I hunt then put on more stuff before I sit down. Take it off for the walk out. Anything that will keep you warm in a tree stand for 3 hours will burn you up walking more than 1/2 mile.

I've had good luck at local backpacking stores and even REI. They often have very high quality goose down and other winter gear reduced during the summer. One local store has winter stuff 50% off on June 1. Anything left on July 1 is 70% off.

I bought a Marmont goose down jacket and vest for $50 total a few years ago. It is a pretty ugly gray color, but works just fine for hunting. One or the other gets stuffed in the pack quite a lot.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Lots of good advice here. I personally prefer wool pants: quiet and warm. I have a mid-weight pair of Australian Army surplus pants that are hands down the best hunting pant I have ever seen. Lined, double layers at seat and knees and a button 'gaiter' hem that keeps everything out of my boots. They are comfortable here in Montana from the 60s to 0 or minus ten. I do vary the base layer accordingly from no base layer in warm weather to a heavy poly base in colder weather. I think I paid ten bucks for them twenty years ago at Bob Wards. They are so good that when they finally are too tattered to wear I am going to use the old pair as a pattern and have a tailor make me a new pair.

On top, a light synthetic wicking layer next to my skin then usually a Pendleton wool shirt. Over this various wool or fleece sweaters and down vests or jackets depending on conditions. I have Cabelas Dry Plus parka and pants for rainy/wet days though I don't bother with the pants when it snows.

I have fallen in water filled ditches and creeks wearing wool and it stays warm. Heavier but warmer than fleece.

Eddie Bauer has great sales for new stuff; just buy it out of season or on major holidays. Their down gear is excellent. Patagonia has outlet stores in various places around the country too and they also have some excellent sales. You can get on the email lists of both places and they will alert you to the upcoming sales. Here in Montana we have lots of second hand sports stores that sell stuff pretty cheaply. Surplus stores can also be good but make sure you are buying the genuine surplus and not cheap Chinese knock-offs.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've got two pairs of "German Wool Pants" that I got from Cabelas' surplus department some years back when my U.S, Army surplus wool pants began to tighten up on me for some reason. They were $25 each, I think. They are brown, scratchy, and very warm, and are nicely made. I have no idea what the origin is, military or civilian, but they do very nicely in the woods. They have suspender buttons too. The only downside is the camphor odor they had when new, but that wore off. They've got the dangdest zipper pull, a tiny ball on a stick, instead of a flat tab.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 2,388 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,317
Posts18,487,330
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.