Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Every time I think the 22LR shortage is ending... It apparently is not.

I was starting to see some availability on the shelves of retailers last spring, but I haven't seen a brick since April. It's probably just the summer season and increased activity levels, but I yearn for a day when i can walk into a store and buy a brick just because I need one.

I've got a decent supply on hand of a few thousand rounds, but with teenage boys, we're down from about 4,000 in the spring.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy

I yearn for a day when i can walk into a store and buy a brick just because I need one.

So do we all, but I think those days are gone forever. Hoarders and survivalists, along with speculators and just plain greedy people, have put a stop to that, and I don't see any sign that they will ever change their ways. With Hildabeast in the wings, you can bet it will get even worse.

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Yup keep hearing about how 22 ammo is around, its not around here, lest you want to pay big time for it looked 3 diffrent places in town today, NONE!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a guy in Walmart tell me how the hoarders were ruining it for everybody, then told me he personally won't be effected due to the 30,000 rounds he has accumulated.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
Every time I think the 22LR shortage is ending... It apparently is not.

I was starting to see some availability on the shelves of retailers last spring, but I haven't seen a brick since April. It's probably just the summer season and increased activity levels, but I yearn for a day when i can walk into a store and buy a brick just because I need one.

I've got a decent supply on hand of a few thousand rounds, but with teenage boys, we're down from about 4,000 in the spring.

I've found them at the Sportsman's Warehouse in the Springs, but only on Friday morning, which I assume is when they stock.

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
It is back to about 9 or 10 cents per round locally. Pretty decent inventory everywhere but Walmart.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I will admit that I am a hoarder, but I did my hoarding when .22 ammo was plentiful. Since Sandy Hook I have purchased 1025 rounds but I have given away a little more than twice that many and fired a few hundred also.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bought 200 rounds of CCI 36 gr. at Sportsman's Warehouse yesterday. Left 200 on the counter for the next guy. They had about 600 rounds of lead nose. Not sure what they started with.

Last edited by SockPuppet; 07/27/15.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by saddlering
Yup keep hearing about how 22 ammo is around, its not around here, lest you want to pay big time for it looked 3 diffrent places in town today, NONE!
rarer than hen's teeth around North and South Florida. Every once in awhile, you can walk into a Gander Mt, and find some, but not often, and not consistantly. What you do find, is at vastly inflated prices.
You won't ever find .22 LR in WalMart, Dicks, Sports Authority, Bass Pro.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 07/27/15.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Still hard to find here, too.

I tried reloading some.
Seating primers is a bitch.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I got 2 325 round packs of Federal from the local Walmart yesterday, and the local shop in town has been pretty much keeping Remington Thunderbolts, or CCI Mini Mags, or Federal Automatch, or a couple of different types of Winchester in stock the last 4-6 weeks. They have consistently had something, and not at scalper prices.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I even tried dropping number 11 caps down there.

Only way it works is smash it with a hammer.

Then resizing your brass is a bitch.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hunter's Outlet in Thief River Falls, MN had some in stock. I bought 2 525 bulk packs of Remington Yellow Jackets and left another 3 or 4 packs on the shelf for the next guy.

They said "no limit on the ammo, it isn't there to look at".

GE

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
was looking in the locker the other day. Still have bricks that I bought in 2008, marked $8.95. Thats less than 2 cents per round. Now the norm seems to be a dime a pop.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I remember being miffed paying 15 bucks for the American Eagle 400s. That was in 2008.
Then Obama happened.
After Panic One, I was wandering through the gunporium and there was a brick of WW 40 PPs for, gasp, 38 bucks, the first I'd seen in over two years. I griped, but I bought it. Saw no more for the entire time, then Obama got re-elected.
Panic Two.
I bought two hundreds of CCI mini mags for 8 bucks each last spring.
So, since 2008, I've seen 700 rounds of 22 LR ammo I actually wanted to buy, and did.
I'm shooting centerfire mostly because I can't find what my rimfire pistols like (they're picky) and I'm sitting on the stuff my gopher getters like -- why waste something so expensive on paper?

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Jnyork: I disagree with your theory.
I know LOTS of gun store owners who give me a different view of things - to a person they say they are seeing LESS 22 ammo nowadays, WAY less than in previous years to stock their shelves with!
I think part of THAT is the big mail order outfits are selling more through the mails and it never sees a stores (LGS) shelves!
And I think the ammo makers are concentrating more and more on the high profit centerfire and 17 HMR markets - foresaking the obvious need for MORE 22 L.R. quality ammo?
I don't know for sure - but I do know for sure that ALL the stores I frequent seldom if ever have quality American made high velocity hollow-point 22 L.R. ammo - and this has been going on since October of 2,012!!!
I know that is when this "shortage" started because I was paying attention and wrote it down - October 2,012 (thats when it became glaringly obvious that barack husein obama would be re-elected!).
Thats 33 straight months now of "not enough" 22 ammo on stores shelves - something nefarious is afoot - NOT just some hoarders and greedy people.
I, like you, do FEAR the coming presidency of the hildabeast though!
LOTS of things will get worse when that comes about - not just ammo shortages
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's very clear the manufacturers are NOT going to step up and add additional production to meet demand. They're still treating this as a spike, and we're 3 years into this. A friend at work today was just bragging that he paid 9c a round for some .22; I about wet myself. UN-FREAKING-ACCEPTABLE!!!

I think the only way we're going to see rimfire ammo normalize is if we get a Republican president.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Jnyork: I disagree with your theory.
I know LOTS of gun store owners who give me a different view of things - to a person they say they are seeing LESS 22 ammo nowadays, WAY less than in previous years to stock their shelves with!
I think part of THAT is the big mail order outfits are selling more through the mails and it never sees a stores (LGS) shelves!
And I think the ammo makers are concentrating more and more on the high profit centerfire and 17 HMR markets - foresaking the obvious need for MORE 22 L.R. quality ammo?
I don't know for sure - but I do know for sure that ALL the stores I frequent seldom if ever have quality American made high velocity hollow-point 22 L.R. ammo - and this has been going on since October of 2,012!!!
I know that is when this "shortage" started because I was paying attention and wrote it down - October 2,012 (thats when it became glaringly obvious that barack husein obama would be re-elected!).
Thats 33 straight months now of "not enough" 22 ammo on stores shelves - something nefarious is afoot - NOT just some hoarders and greedy people.
I, like you, do FEAR the coming presidency of the hildabeast though!
LOTS of things will get worse when that comes about - not just ammo shortages
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I just about brought up those miserable 17s.

I wish people would go play with those and leave us old two two shooters alone.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Ain't no way the 22LR shortage is ending. Went to Cabelas last week and they had a 1000 round limit per day. I picked up 5,000 rounds I had shipped to the store and on the way out wife and I picked up another 2,000 rounds. Added them to the 30,000 rounds in my stash. Still a 22 LR shortage at my house.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
Ain't no way the 22LR shortage is ending. Went to Cabelas last week and they had a 1000 round limit per day. I picked up 5,000 rounds I had shipped to the store and on the way out wife and I picked up another 2,000 rounds. Added them to the 30,000 rounds in my stash. Still a 22 LR shortage at my house.

Looks like you're seeing to that personally...

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

200 members (358wsm, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 204guy, 16penny, 280shooter, 25 invisible), 2,139 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,892
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.