Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I know I'm probably better off sticking with Partitions (I do love them and how they perform on game), I just felt like trying something else. I may get a box of the TSX's just to see how they shoot, and if it's very well out of my rifle, I'll give them a go. If not- I'll stick with my old standby of the Partitions. Who knows, maybe by next year I'll buy a whole new rifle to take moose hunting. 😜

Heal quickly and don't scar.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Adult Alaskan moose, 300 yards, 180 Partition 30-06, Barsness load of Hunter. Some stuff has a good history. I still like monos when they work well - and generally they do on the big stuff like moose.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Klik,

The biggest problem with 180 Partitions in the .30-06 is the combination so boring nobody notices when they work. About a dozen years ago I went to Africa on what was primarily a cull shoot, and took a .30-06 with 180 Partitions (and to make it even more boring a 3-9x scope), just because everybody agonizes over what Really Special Rifle is needed for plains game.

Killed a truckload of animals with no problems, naturally, including a good kudu with the second-longest shot I've ever taken over there, which dropped the kudu so quickly it took a while to find it in the brush. (The "blood trail" was underneath the bull.) Wrote the story up and apparently it was so boring everybody went back to arguing about Ackley Improved Whatevers, plastic-tipped bullets made of depleted uranium, and scopes capable of tracking the moons of Jupiter.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
(The "blood trail" was underneath the bull.)

Ha! I love it......matter of fact I'm gonna steal that one and use it if you don't mind.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
JGR: The other one John uses that I like is 'he dropped in his tracks'....

They ALWAYS drop in their tracks....... wink

Last edited by ingwe; 08/01/15.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Unless they're flying, of course....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ingwe

NOPE! NEVER say ALWAYS !

Unless they're flying, of course....

"I told ya so." grin

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
jwall,

NOPE! NEVER say ALWAYS !

[quote]Originally Posted By ingwe

NOPE! NEVER say ALWAYS !

I killed one that left its tracks behind. I shot the deer near the edge of a precipice. Instead of dropping, it reared up like a horse and fell backwards off the cliff. In fact it went half way to the pickup in the valley below. What I don't understand is it was quartering toward me when I fired. I got the front of one lung the heart and the back of the other lung. And yet it stood up on its back legs turned around and fell over backward.

I don't remember how many points it had when I fired, but it had two broken stumps when I got to it. Fortunately in Washington, visible antlers make it legal.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ringman

I killed one that left its tracks behind. I shot the deer near the edge of a precipice. Instead of dropping, it reared up like a horse and fell backwards off the cliff. In fact it went half way to the pickup in the valley below. What I don't understand is it was quartering toward me when I fired. I got the front of one lung the heart and the back of the other lung. And yet it stood up on its back legs turned around and fell over backward.

I don't remember how many points it had when I fired, but it had two broken stumps when I got to it. Fortunately in Washington, visible antlers make it legal.

A friend and I went blacktail hunting and he shot a big 4x4 that did the exact same thing.Reared up, fell over the 30' ledge, rolled 150 yards down a meadow and piled up in a vine maple. We found enough pieces of the antlers for the taxidermist to put it back together.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

laugh laugh
There are more "DRT's" (gawd, I despise that acronym) from campfire members than the entire nation combined. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Scott we are also alluding to those that run off. When they drop THEY drop in their tracks too!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Scott we are also alluding to those that run off. When they drop THEY drop in their tracks too!

Unless they 'roll' head over heels OR heels over head (is more accurate) the head normally is over heels.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Ringman

Instead of dropping, it reared up like a horse...

What I don't understand is it was quartering toward me when I fired....

And yet it stood up on its back legs turned around and fell over backward.

Animals react in ALL SORTS of ways to being hit w/bullets regardless of point of impact (except to CNS).

In 40+ yrs. of deer hunting I've seen deer do almost everything you could imagine and some have done what you'd never think.

I have not only seen it for myself but in some TV hunting programs (if you can call them hunting).

There is an old fable that hit (wounded) bucks do NOT raise their flag (tail). OH YES they CAN. I've seen it personally morenonce and a few Xs in videos.

I've even seen mortally wounded deer have NO reaction that you could tell.

Ringman, I've seen deer (bucks & does) rear up like a horse, others have kicked like a mule, others have bucked and kicked both hind feet, et.al.,..et.al.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
RINGMAN

I have remembered another reaction I've seen deer have.

I have hit a couple of deer at full tilt (dead run), when the bullets contacted them, they were in the AIR and hit the ground SLIDING !!

On one of those times my looong time friend was with me and WE saw this doe simply hit the ground like a sack of potatoes and she slid several feet up against a tree.

This was before cell phones with cameras and we did not have any camera with us. You could see the leaves and stuff had been plowed and she was piled up at the tree. (fond memory)!!!

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I remember this one time back at band camp. I shot this deer running at me at 200 yards with ole meat getter and I hit him so hard it turn him inside out. Easiest deer I every had to clean.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Right, right! They're "DRT" there too, no?

WWP53D
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yeah - Fonzy could not say he was ever "wrong" either.

<@X*# %?@/%

X%O <"@/$*

et.al.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damn, forget one "winky'....
If you're referring to me, I assure you I'm wrong on a daily, if not hourly basis. You can ask my wife. smile

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Klik,

The biggest problem with 180 Partitions in the .30-06 is the combination so boring nobody notices when they work.

Troooth! I have always loved the puzzled look that certain seasoned folks will give when you ask what they used on their most recent moose or whatever. The blank look that questions why a person would even discuss the details of killing stuff with 180 grains in general in the 30-06, but especially a “premium” combination as proven and well regarded as the Partition. (Which is sometimes followed by “7-0 what?” if they even think to question what the silver barreled, “plastic” stocked rifle is that I have across my shoulder.) The funny thing is, I tend to leave a plain ol’ 30-06 standing in the safe. It doesn’t “play” as much as some of the others, but it’s the one that gets called up when I don’t have time for the niceties of pre-hunt range checks and tune-ups.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The TTSX is a good bullet, but like all bullets is a trade off. It gives up the ability to kill fast for penetration. That's on average of course.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

379 members (007FJ, 160user, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 32 invisible), 1,988 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,863
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.