Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
maggie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Much of the new truck talk seems centered around Ford F150 with it's aluminum, or "High strength, military grade, aluminum alloys", as they say in the ad. Also says it "resists corrosion". Aluminum has been tried before on various parts at least, corrosion seems to have been a real issue. In areas that don't have winter road salt, maybe not so much a worry, but wondering about how it will/wont hold up in other areas? Like to hear opinions/facts from those in the know. Thanks.

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No down side that I know of. Years of messing with airplanes...

If you have a fender bender, it may cost more to fix.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Aluminum that has been anodized develops a coating of aluminum oxide on the exterior, the same stuff they make grinding wheels from. That stuff is an electrical insulator and impervious to corrosion as long as the surface remains intact. I worked with anodized aluminum extrusions for years, and found I couldn't get an electrical connection through the surface without grinding to bare metal.

It should last, just don't get the old crystal Draino anywhere near it, (sodium hydroxide, sodium nitrate, and sodium chloride with aluminum shards) or the aluminum will be damaged or dissolved.

I recall aluminum automotive radiator tanks being pitted and corroded by the saltwater atmosphere at the marina across from my shop.

Ford isn't using aluminum primarily because of corrosion, it's adding it to reduce weight of the fleet in order to meet new stringent federal Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards pending for cars and light turcks. http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2012/08/29/545-miles-per-gallon-for-all-cars-by-2025-not-exactly

Besides, do you really want to buy a Ford F-150? You do know what the "F" stands for, yes?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First on race day? smirk

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Airplanes do not run in salt. Runways at airports use non sodium chloride chemicals.
I would be concerned about salt, but that is already an issue with steel.
I just bought a new chev. Been there and burned twice on fords.

Last edited by dale06; 07/27/15.

NRA Patron
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Last year I went ahead and bought a 2014 after seeing the 2015's. I wanted an Ecoboost, and that engine & trans were unchanged for 2015.

Body corrosion is not a big problem around here. While I think the weight savings helps fuel economy around town, I don't think it buys you that much on the highway. I slightly prefer the looks of the 2014 over the 2015. The 2015 has a few more convenience doodads. The aluminum body WILL cost more to repair (and probably to insure).

Except for cost, I don't think the aluminum is a negative, but not enough to get me excited about it.

There have been concepts leaked of a 2017 Raptor, with an uprated Ecoboost engine. They look nice, and are interesting.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm a Ford guy, but in my years of the auto repair business, the only thing I found aluminum good for was beer cans! If they have found a way for aluminum not to corrode, then maybe. Aluminum wheels corrode after a few years and then you either demount the tires, clean wheels and reseal or put air in every week. Aluminum blocks, heads, radiators, are all junk IMO.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Not an issue for me, lease a new F150 every two years....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
M
maggie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Topstock
I'm a Ford guy, but in my years of the auto repair business, the only thing I found aluminum good for was beer cans! If they have found a way for aluminum not to corrode, then maybe. Aluminum wheels corrode after a few years and then you either demount the tires, clean wheels and reseal or put air in every week. Aluminum blocks, heads, radiators, are all junk IMO.

Thanks for replies so far all.

Topstock, this is the issue I was trying to address mostly. A long time mechanic fiend of mine said the same. He mentioned that at one time Ford used an aluminum backer plate on the rear bumper, and they had issues with that. Kind of hate buying any vehicle the first year they make major changes to things.

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dale06
Airplanes do not run in salt. Runways at airports use non sodium chloride chemicals.
I would be concerned about salt, but that is already an issue with steel.
I just bought a new chev. Been there and burned twice on fords.

Airplanes, just like cars corrode more based on their location.

They do indeed corrode in humid, salt water proximity.

Aluminum corrosion can be treated chemically. A Cessna 172 I was wanting to buy would not pass inspection for sale because of previous salt water corrosion, and although it had been stopped, and the plane was sound, the damage history report was already in place. It follows the plane as long as it's around.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I take it you've never worked on airplanes that were based near salt water...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

I take it you've never worked on airplanes that were based near salt water...

Exactly...the ONR sure is interested in the influence of chorides and the fatigue crack growth response of Al alloys. Otherwise I wouldn't currently be doing testing of this nature.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
run al hulls in salt water for quite a few years now... take to the carwash when done, although I can't get under the poly on the bottom of the hull.

Have seen no issues so far. Been doing this a bit over 10 years now IIRC.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm sure I've been in the auto repair business longer than probably 95% of you. I started doing it in 1965. I do like aluminum components in engines and transmissions as well as other parts. The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. I am not a proponent of aluminum body panels at this time, repair cost and insurance. They ain't anodizing body parts on the Ford.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Are you really BigSqueeze that faked your own death here?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Nave has some ships wit aluminium superstructure. Not sure the nave ever gets near salt.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Aluminum blocks, heads, radiators, are all junk IMO...

Based on?

With the advances in casting technology aluminum works.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Aluminum bolted to dissimilar metal, add salt, and who needs a battery! grin

Aluminum boats rule the roost up here. Most are good to go. Occasionally someone has some stray current or is improperly zinced and the hull gets eaten.

Not long ago a guy up here with a 26' Duckworth OS, a $100+K boat that was just a few months old, and the hull was a total loss.

I don't know how it will work out for Ford, but it wouldn't scare me.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
No down side that I know of. Years of messing with airplanes...

If you have a fender bender, it may cost more to fix.

buddy ownes a body shop, had one come in that got hit in the bed side, said it cost about 7500$ for parts and labor, he said he felt terrible, but he had to charge that to make anything. his advice, buy something made of steel, cause you wont like to cost to fix if it gets hit

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (007FJ, 219DW, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 64 invisible), 2,333 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,274
Posts18,486,646
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.