Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Believing the 22 ammo shortage would not last is simply unrealistic.

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Academy Sports had a pile of .22 today - I bought 2 100-ct boxes of CCI Mini-Mag .22 LR HP, $7.49 each.

They also had American Eagle .22 (50-ct), Eley .22 (50-ct), and Federal Gold Medal .22 (50-ct). They always have the Gold Medal in stock because it's $19.99/box

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Bought 200 rounds of CCI 36 gr. at Sportsman's Warehouse yesterday. Left 200 on the counter for the next guy. They had about 600 rounds of lead nose. Not sure what they started with.

It's become a question of luck. So every time I go in to Cabelas, BassPro .... etc. it pays to ask for 22LR and hope for the best.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
How many of us look for .22 ammo anytime we go into a sporting goods store, and if there's any on the shelves buy some? Before 2012, we took for granted that .22's would be there whenever we wanted some, so we didn't buy any unless there was a really good deal, or we wanted some to plink or hunt with sometime soon.

How many of us keep more on hand than we ever did before?

Did recently hear through a local sporting goods store owner that one of the major ammo makers was cutting back on .22 rimfire production. The reason? They never made much profit on it anyway, and what with hiring on more workers and having to pay them overtime, they've been making even less profit since 2012. They've been going pretty much 24/7 since then, and it still hasn't fill the demand, so why should they continue to barely make a profit? And if they invest in another factory, they'll be making "cheap" .22 Long Rifles (the kind we keep demanding) at a loss for several years.

Well I don't expect to pay what I did 10 years ago, I don't mind paying a little extra. Even 7-8 cents a round would be an improvement. Let them make a little money, that's the point of doing all the work. But let's cranks things up.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's very clear the manufacturers are NOT going to step up and add additional production to meet demand.

Remington is/or has expanded their plant in Lonoke, Arkansas after the shortages began. I have not tried to keep up with the progress. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B2

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
There were 22's at Cabelas in Richfield Wi. today , and Monday. They were Remington in a green carton. I am sure they were 525 packs for 30 bucks. Not that bad. There were a lot of them on Monday and I didn't buy them since me NEW FAVORITE NIECE picked me up a 1,400 bucket for $70 with tax.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Online there has been a slight increase in supply, but no perceptible drop in prices.

The Obama shortage made every retired and unemployed hick an entrepreneur. Previously, those same folks probably had not fired a shot in years (if ever). Now, every time a box hits the shelf at 9am on Tuesday morning, there are folks to buy it, add to their stash, and pray for higher prices yet.

If everyone would buy what was needed vs. hoarding 30,000 rounds, the supply would have a chance to recover, driving prices back to something acceptable.

Maybe we should invest our time and energy into getting a pro- gun candidate elected, rather than crying about Hillary as if its a foregone conclusion?

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Last Saturday Field&Stream and Dick's Sporting Goods in Altoona,Pa. had quite a bit of 22 Auto match and CCI mini-mag on the shelves with no limit on what you could buy. I was shocked there was no limit. Auto match was $19.99 and the mini-mag I can't remember as I didn't need any CCI so I never paid attention. I think Auto match was about $15-16 before the crazy stuff started. Got two boxes of the Auto match for the kids to shoot if they stop by. I am O.K. on my supply except for the bulk stuff for the kids to have some fun. I am seeing more in our area than a while back.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I bought three, 325 round, boxes of Federal Auto Match at Wal-Mart today for $60, a little over $0.06 per round. That particular W-M had a full shelf of those 325 round boxes, probably 30 or more after I paid for mine.

Even before there was a rimfire shortage, I didn't see many people shooting rimfire rifles at the local rifle range. Usually, I'm the only person at the range shooting a rimfire rifle, as I "warm up" by shooting between 50 and 100 rounds of .22 LR in an accurate rifle before starting to shoot more expensive ammo. If, for whatever reason, I'm having a bad day and can't shoot the .22 rifle, I just pack it in and don't waste expensive CF ammo if my game is off that day. Much easier to do for a semi-retired guy who can go to the range frequently than for a guy who works 40+ hours per week and doesn't have as flexible a schedule.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
There really isn't a shortage in upstate NY anymore. My LGS has had various brands of 22LR in stock constantly for the past 3-4 months. Dick's in Binghamton has also had a variety of.22's almost every week for the past several months. I've stocked up with over 9,000 rds. of mini mags, Federal auto match, Federal lightning, Remington yellow jackets and Golden bullets over the past few months.

IC B3

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
9,000 res? That is a lot of ammo. When everyone like you feels they have enough, then there will be 22 ammo all over the place. It doesn't bother me you bought that many but there are a million guys who have a lot more 22 ammo than they did 6 yrs ago. Not that I care.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I was almost out last summer and didn't shoot as much as usual because of it. That isn't going to happen again. I've been burning up 2-300 rds. per week this summer and intend to keep buying ammo weekly. Just got word today that my lgs took delivery of 18 cases of mini mags yesterday. I'll be buying more tomorrow.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
WyColoCowboy and Yetti,
Melanie at Elite Firearms and Training had 20 500 count boxes of 22 on the 20th of July. $35 a box, but she did have it in stock.
https://www.facebook.com/EliteFirearmsTrainingLlc

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I bought three, 325 round, boxes of Federal Auto Match at Wal-Mart today for $60, a little over $0.06 per round.

I scored again today, same deal as you: Walmart had 325-ct Federal AutoMatch, $18.97/box. I bought three, four left on the shelf.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I snagged a 300 round box of CCI Mini-Mags today at Bi-Mart for $20.00. They had a bunch, still a one brick limit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's out there, folks. I just got one box today, $19.97 at Walmart:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
From another forum:

"I was at the Cabela's in Fort Worth today. There is non expiring no limit on .22lr. The guy I spoke with said that they have a truck coming any day now with 1.5 million rounds of .22lr. Buy as many as you want."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They had Winchester 555's for $29 at Academy today.

Didn't even pick any up because I've not had much luck with that ammo cycling my .22 pistols. It's been a pretty consistent and ongoing problem, so I passed.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I normally shoot about 1,000 rounds of QUALITY rimfire a year, basically Mini Mags and/or Power Points. Since the panic, that's down to 200 rounds. Which is as much as I've seen worth buying in two years. This is BS.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My usage of .22lr has gone down quite a bit.

Mostly due to using my Marauder .25 cal airgun around the house here at the ranch in place of a .22lr.

Coon or possum needs killin' or whatever else, I just reach for that .25 now. Way quieter and disturbs less too.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 53 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,408
Posts18,470,229
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.