Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Time is money.
How much have you spent already?
I'd dump the thing and buy a shooter.
Constantly amazed by folks who are willing to accept sub par manufactuered products out of the box and spend another few hundred in time and effort attempting to run up a down escalator.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Let them keep it and buy a pre 64....for that matter buy a push feed you would be better off..to bad win quality has suffered. They ar not the only ones look at rem and Marlin.....lots of complaints on that side also....

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well I went out and got some Leupold bases and rings. Worked great. It's all leveled up and ready for the range. Now I finally get to start working on reloads for the rifle.

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Unknown Bear guide on the Kodiak coast
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Yeah, my only advice is learn a little Portuguese....!!!

If I had to call them, it would start out like this:

você suja pequenos sonofabitches , é melhor você começar a fazer um bom modelo winchester 70. Eu vou entrar em um barco e empurrar este rifle na sua bunda !!! Vou usá-lo como um remo e quando eu chegar lá, pummle o inferno fora de você !! Você não pode obter os buracos perfurados de base reta você galo bastardos de olhos . Da próxima vez , eu vou puxar a cabeça para fora do meu azz e comprar um pré 64

I got the sonofabitches part, something about taking a boat and putting something up someones butt and pulling my head out next time and buying a pre-64. Sounds reasonable

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Mostly, I consider factory rifles to be pre-assembled kits. The are little more than suggestions for what the final product appearance may be after all the bugs are worked out. Winchester's M-70 is, and has always been at, or near, the bottom of my list.

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 07/16/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by elkhunter130
Wow, I have not contacted them yet but it might just go up for sale.

I have pulled every trick in the book with this rifle. Including new rings and scope. I just hate that from every manufacturer you take the risk of just blowing your money. Its worse than buying trucks. I hope they make it right.

But I am shopping today.

My friends and I have had nothing but excellent service from Ruger.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well I spoke with the service rep from Winchester's website. Real nice guy who actually listened to my issue and was helpful. I explained I was not a gunsmith or even as knowledgeable as some on this website and I needed some experienced help with this rifle.

His first response was to assure me that no matter what was "actually" wrong with the rifle it would be fixed. He then ran me through a course of tech questions and answers right there on the phone to make sure the rifle needed to shipped to him.

After speaking with him I did some simple testing and cleaning and found that Talley rings could be mounted where they do not line up with the bore. I thought that was impossible do to the way they are manufactured.

Long story short after the tuning ideas he gave me and all the work all done the rifle is shooting 1" groups at 100 yards.

I am happy with Winchester.

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Well, glad they got it straightened out for you. Enjoy.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by WranglerJohn
Mostly, I consider factory rifles to be pre-assembled kits. The are little more than suggestions for what the final product appearance may be after all the bugs are worked out. Winchester's M-70 is, and has always been at, or near, the bottom of my list.
Mighty short list, I'm bettin'... Wanna try some 740s, 742s, 710s 750s et al?

laugh laugh

Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Ditto...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by WranglerJohn
Mighty short list, I'm bettin'... Wanna try some 740s, 742s, 710s 750s et al?

laugh laugh

Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Ditto...

Well Redneck you are right and have the experience to back it up. I admittedly do not. There are so many things to evaluate, and I used to think tuning bows was tough work. I thought I had a handle on things but ran up against things I never even heard of.

However the service I got from my Rep here in Oregon was spot on. That impressed me. Maybe I just got lucky but my issues are solved and I am happy. I learned that just because someone says it should work don't always mean it will.

I found that rifles can be finicky. I found that just buying a rifle is only the beginning. Sometimes you get lucky and everything bolts up and shoots well, sometimes it don't.

I starting to find products that "I" know work because I have tested them or fixed and tuned them to work for me. For instance, hard steel barrels need a lot of breaking in. Square is Square. 2" groups at 200 yards is good shooting, good ammo and a fine weapon all combined and not to expect that from a stock rifle and Federal box ammo.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by elkhunter130
I starting to find products that "I" know work because I have tested them or fixed and tuned them to work for me. For instance, hard steel barrels need a lot of breaking in. Square is Square. 2" groups at 200 yards is good shooting, good ammo and a fine weapon all combined and not to expect that from a stock rifle and Federal box ammo.

What is an example of a hard steel barrel?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The best explanation I can offer is that the tech told me that some barrels are harder to break in than others. With my already explained lack of experience, I took what he said and did a lot more shooting and cleaning of my rifle.

I found that it did shrink my groups. Considerably. The tech explained that newer rifles have a harder steel and temper than older rifles and that the stainless barrels need some break in to get the best groups.

If he is right or wrong it did not matter to me as the rifle did start shooting better. So I do not feel qualified to give you an example of what you are asking for more than what I have been told and experienced.

All of the little things done the right way and the education I am getting doing them myself has been a real experience. I do have to admit I have had costlier educations that were not as much fun. I have now shot several groups with factory ammo under an inch and a half and some under an inch at a hundred with factory Federal Fusion ammo.

My next adventure is starting to reload. I have all of the RCBS gear to get me going. I have the recommended loading manuals, powder, primers, top notch bullets in the grain I would like to start with, and all I need to do now is set it all up and go at it.

Just so it has been said; I will be using recommended loads out of the Nosler, Hornady, and RCBS manuals.

Thanks for all of the help and I will see ya at the range...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Have fun, its a great ride! smile

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Well, to be honest, I seldom buy factory rifles, except maybe for the action, which I strip and toss the barrel, stock and trigger. Last one was a Remington 783, sort of the new Erector Set of a rifle for curious old guys, held together by Fixodent and titanium hardware, to play with.

Otherwise I purchase bare actions, sometimes Savage Precision Target Actions, sometimes Remington 700's. I never saw any goodness in the Winchester M-70 as an action, either the pre '64 or later. I did build two rifles on the Mark X Mauser action - classical appearance - and good performance. The Serbians have been making Mauser actions for a long time, and they know what they are doing. Take one, or a Siamese Mauser, and stick a side swing safety on the bolt and you have what a Winchester M-70 wanted to be.

Main thing are the barrels. I used Shilen, Criterion, Hart, Brux, Schneider, and a lot of Pac-Nor's, all stainless steel. Now I'm really into Pac-Nor's polygonal rifled barrels. These suckers shoot - I mean really shoot - and they break in easily. Afterwards they clean up with nothing more than patches and some Bore Tech eliminator. So, there you have it.

Next thing is the handloading. It's similar to being a chef, with complex tools, cartridge brass, powders, bullets, primers, and a lot of myths, misconceptions, and plain old bull crap thrown in. You experiment with the recipes, manipulate things just right, and achieve the perfect load. I've been doing it for over fifty years and learn something new every time. Just trying to keep up with new powders is a hobby in itself. Maybe I'll sell it all and take up fishing. May your journey be pleasant and informative, and your decapping pins never break.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Wrangler

It has been a journey. I am having fun and it seems to last longer than the archery tackle I am used to messing with.

Last edited by elkhunter130; 07/28/15.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

661 members (10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1eyedmule, 68 invisible), 3,321 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,378
Posts18,469,505
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.