Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
This one has legs even though its an archery kill.

[quote]Twin Cities dentist admits killing beloved lion, thought he was acting legally
Eden Prairie big-game hunter says he regrets death of Cecil in Africa.
By Paul Walsh and Brandon Stahl Star Tribune staff writers JULY 29, 2015 — 7:09AM
itemprop
RENEE JONES SCHNEIDER, STAR TRIBUNE
A dog sniffed at stuffed animals placed Tuesday at the front door of River Bluff Dental in Bloomington, owned by Dr. Walter Palmer, who has come under fire for the killing of a beloved lion in Zimbabwe named Cecil.
TEXT SIZE
EMAIL
PRINT
MORE
A big-game hunter from the Twin Cities found himself at the center of an international firestorm Tuesday over the death of a beloved lion in Zimbabwe, but said he regrets killing the animal and believed his guides were leading him on a legal hunt.

Walter J. Palmer of Eden Prairie, a practicing dentist in Bloomington and a prominent bow-and-arrow hunter, issued a statement addressing the killing on July 1 of Cecil, a lion that was a favorite among tourists and wildlife researchers.

“I hired several professional guides, and they secured all proper permits,” Palmer’s statement read. “To my knowledge, everything about this trip was legal and properly handled.

“I had no idea that the lion I took was a known, local favorite, was collared and part of a study until the end of the hunt. I relied on the expertise of my local professional guides to ensure a legal hunt.”

Zimbabwe game officials said Tuesday that two of Palmer’s guides are facing charges in the incident and that they “are looking for Palmer.”

Palmer, 55, who pleaded guilty to a license violation after shooting a black bear in Wisconsin in 2008, said he has not been contacted by any authorities in Zimbabwe or the U.S., but added that he will cooperate with investigators. The public-relations firm that worked with Palmer on the statement said he was in the Twin Cities on Tuesday.

This handout picture taken on October 21, 2012, and released on July 28, 2015, by the Zimbabwe National Parks agency shows a much-loved Zimbabwean lion, Cecil.

This handout picture taken on October 21, 2012, and released on July 28, 2015, by the Zimbabwe National Parks agency shows a much-loved Zimbabwean lion, Cecil.
More
“Again, I deeply regret that my pursuit of an activity I love and practice responsibly and legally resulted in the taking of this lion,” the statement concluded.

Earlier Tuesday, the Telegraph newspaper of London identified Palmer as the hunter who shot Cecil and reported that he paid $54,000 for the hunt. The Telegraph said the lion was illegally lured out of Hwange National Park, where it had protected status, and onto a neighboring game farm, where Palmer was on safari.

Palmer’s dentist office on Rhode Island Avenue was closed Tuesday, apparently abruptly. One client showed up for an appointment, unaware of the global turmoil surrounding his dentist.

A profile on Palmer’s business website said that he is from North Dakota and that he graduated from the University of Minnesota dental school. He and his wife live in Eden Prairie, about 2½ miles from his practice. They have two children. A knock at the door Tuesday brought no response. A neighbor described the Palmers as very private.

As the Telegraph’s report and subsequent news coverage spread on the Internet, commenters took to the Facebook page of Palmer’s River Bluff Dental with a vengeance.

“You utter scum,” one of many hostile comments read. “You should be in jail, and you should hang your head in shame.” The Yelp page on Palmer’s dental practice was inundated with hostile comments, and by midevening, nearly 200,000 people had signed an online petition condemning the incident organized by an online group known as Care2.

Late Tuesday, U.S. Rep. Betty McCollum, D-Minn., urged the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the Department of Justice to investigate whether the killing violated any endangered-species laws.

Chelsea Hassler, outreach director with the Twin Cities-based Animal Rights Coalition, said her group and “many outraged citizens” intend to protest outside Palmer’s office on Wednesday afternoon.

By late Tuesday afternoon, small stuffed lions had been left at Palmer’s home and dental office.

Lists 43 kills

Palmer’s kills are listed by an organization called Safari Club International, a big-game hunting group that claims 55,000 members worldwide, including about 1,000 in Minnesota.

The club keeps a detailed record book in which members display photos, measurements and other information about animals they have killed. Palmer lists 43 kills, all by bow and arrow. His list includes moose, deer, buffalo, a polar bear and a mountain lion.

A photo posted in the record book from 2005 shows him kneeling behind a lion, with his bow propped up against the animal. The book also documents with a photo that he shot an African elephant in Zimbabwe in 2013.

People familiar with the safari industry refused to comment Tuesday on Palmer’s case, but said it is normal for hunters to place themselves in the hands of hired guides and local outfitters.

Jeff Martinell of Troy, Pa., who books African trips as the owner of Luxury Hunts, said it’s up to the guides, also called professional hunters, to know the laws and regulations of a lion hunt, including whether the hunters are on preserve land or shooting at a protected animal.

“If he bought a lion hunt and they take him on a lion hunt, he [doesn’t] know where you’re going,” Martinell said. “The finger should be pointed at the professional hunter, not the hunter himself.”

Martinell also said it is common practice to lure big game with bait, apparently the tactic used in Cecil’s death. “You find a lion, put the bait out and wait for the lion to come in,” he said.

Bob Lange of rural Glenwood, Minn., has hunted in Zimbabwe five times, and once, at the government’s request, shot a lion that had killed six people.

While stressing that he is unfamiliar with the specifics of Palmer’s hunt and that he doesn’t know Palmer, Lange said the case appears typical of trophy hunting in Zimbabwe.

“If what I understand about the hunt is accurate, nothing seems unusual or illegal about it,” Lange said, “unless the landowner didn’t have a hunting permit. But if that was the case, you, the hunter, would have no way to know. You’re in the outfitter’s hands.”

Guilty plea in Wisconsin

The incident is not Palmer’s first brush with authorities.

In 2008, he pleaded guilty in federal court in Wisconsin to misleading a federal agent in connection with the hunting of a black bear. Two years earlier, Palmer had killed a bear near Phillips, in Price County. That location was 40 miles outside of the zone where he held a permit to hunt bear.

Palmer and others transported the bear carcass to a registration station inside the allowed hunting zone, according to court documents, and at the station, he falsely certified that the bear had been killed in the legal zone. Facing a maximum penalty of five years in prison, Palmer was sentenced to one year’s probation and fined nearly $3,000.

In the spring of 2003, Palmer was convicted in Otter Tail County in western Minnesota and paid a small fine for fishing without a license, a misdemeanor.

And in 2009, Palmer agreed to a settlement with the Minnesota Board of Dentistry over allegations that he sexually harassed a receptionist. She alleged that Palmer made comments about her breasts, buttocks and genitalia.

Without admitting guilt, Palmer settled and paid $127,500 to the woman, who also was his patient.

The settlement included references to his bear-hunting conviction and “substandard record keeping.”

Poaching charges

The Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority and the Safari Operators Association of Zimbabwe said Tuesday that a local guide and a farm owner are facing poaching charges and that they are expected in court Wednesday.

“Both the professional hunter and land owner had no permit or quota to justify the offtake of the lion and therefore are liable for the illegal hunt,” the joint statement said. It did not address any legal consequences for Palmer.

The statement said Theo Bronkhorst, a professional guide with Bushman Safaris, is believed to have lured the lion to Honest Trymore Ndlovu’s farm, where it was killed. Its carcass was discovered days later by trackers, the statement said.

During a nighttime pursuit, the hunters tied a dead animal to their car to lure the lion out of the national park, said Johnny Rodrigues, chairman of the Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force. Palmer shot the lion with a bow and arrow, injuring it. The wounded lion was found 40 hours later and shot dead with a gun, Rodrigues said in the statement.

The lion was skinned and beheaded.

The hunters tried to destroy the lion’s collar, fitted with a tracking device, but failed, the statement said. Zimbabwe authorities said in their statement that the “lion trophy has been confiscated.”

“The saddest part of all is that now that Cecil is dead, the next lion in the hierarchy, Jericho, will most likely kill all Cecil’s cubs,” Rodrigues said.

The conservation group said Cecil, recognizable by his black mane, was part of an Oxford University research program. Tourists regularly spotted his characteristic mane in the park over the past 13 years, said LionAid, also a conservation group.

In 2009, the New York Times featured Palmer in a report from northern California, where Palmer was hunting elk. He told the newspaper that he can hit a playing card from 100 yards with his compound bow and that he eschews bringing a firearm as a backup.

“I don’t have a golf game,” he said of his devotion to hunting, adding that he learned to shoot at age 5./quote]

Last edited by bigwhoop; 07/29/15.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Looks like hunting is going to be the next Confederate flag.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Yep.

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
The organized protest will most likely be sizable today due to cooler weather.
I think this dentist will soon be looking for new patients or a new state.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

The Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority and the Safari Operators Association of Zimbabwe said Tuesday that a local guide and a farm owner are facing poaching charges and that they are expected in court Wednesday.

“Both the professional hunter and land owner had no permit or quota to justify the offtake of the lion and therefore are liable for the illegal hunt.”

This sounds like a Safariman brokered hunt.

"Palmer shot the lion with a bow and arrow, injuring it. The wounded lion was found 40 hours later and shot dead with a gun", Rodrigues said in the statement.

Hmmm... azz shot and used others to finish the job later?

Brokered and principal player!

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Curious,

If the lion cubs are doomed and the lion population is so low, why won't the animal rights idiots save the cubs and relocate them? I'm guessing they contribute nothing to the overall conservation of lions except for hot air and finger pointing? I wonder who pays for the park and all the conservation programs including shooting the poachers selling critter parts to the chicoms??? Bet it isn't the concrete living, do nothing, never been in the woods, "animal rights" fundraisers. Liberalism is a cancer.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
ain't social media lynching a wonderful thing?

Always looking to be outraged.

Trayvon Martin, flag, dead lion .....

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The guy's going to have a tough go of it. Jimmy Kimmel came down hard on him last night televising his pictures and personal information to encourage more harassment. He related the dentists hunting activity to an inability to get an erection. I know it's not going to happen, but it'd be great if Kimmel was sued off the air.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Not one word about her dental hygiene?

~ And in 2009, Palmer agreed to a settlement with the Minnesota Board of Dentistry over allegations that he sexually harassed a receptionist. She alleged that Palmer made comments about her breasts, buttocks and genitalia.~

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tmitch
The guy's going to have a tough go of it. Jimmy Kimmel came down hard on him last night televising his pictures and personal information to encourage more harassment. He related the dentists hunting activity to an inability to get an erection. I know it's not going to happen, but it'd be great if Kimmel was sued off the air.

I don't really care about the lion, or the toothy, but Kimmel bugs me for some reason. Cross eyed twit isn't really even funny. Maybe it's just that weird lazy eye thing, I dunno.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
It's probably a bit of a stretch since I don't know the hunter fro Adam, but when I saw his name and numerous trophies connected with SCI and their record book, I felt like I got a glimpse of who this guy really is. Probably shortsighted on my part but maybe not.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know how accurate the report is, but I read the land owner didn't have a permit, neither did the PH. And that they used bait tied to the bumper of a car to lure the lion out of the preserve. If that's true, the PH is in deep-chit.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The 'outrage' is silly shiet.

That said, I've been around a few different doctors/dentists in hunting environments. They were the most horrific 'sportsmen' and individuals I've ever encountered that shared 'like' interests.

Never understood why attorney's get so much grief. I'd hunt with 1000 attorney's before I'd hunt with another doctor.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It is nothing to get worked up about,unless you are the Professional hunter/guide.

As for all of the crap that the misguided folks are heaping on the doc,they must not have much of a life.

He has had more attention/action made towards him that the politicians that have screwed up the country.

Fake outrage pure and simple.They have no life.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

anti hunters, anti gunners, anti White folks, anti Americans, lurk daily, scanning the news, looking for any story with legs, that they can use as a weapon against their targeted group.

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GunGeek
I don't know how accurate the report is, but I read the land owner didn't have a permit, neither did the PH. And that they used bait tied to the bumper of a car to lure the lion out of the preserve. If that's true, the PH is in deep-chit.

Don't know until the whole story comes out, but baiting in LEGAL areas is perfectly acceptable, including shooting those animals that wonder off the reservation because their stomachs (or dicks) lure them away. What I've always found stupid is the reverse. If one makes a perfect killing shot on an animal and it runs INTO a preserve, you are SOL. None of this matters, this will be the hunting equivalent of the Confederate flag Witchhunt...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Meanwhile, planned parenthood is still killing for money.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is a front page story in a couple of our National papers and it really does seem as if they are trying to stir a lynch mob.

Details of the hunt as sketchy, but its alleged the lion was baited out of the Park to be shot on an adjacent hunting concession.

Given the corrupt nature of the country, its very difficult to form an opinion of whether anything illegal took place or not..

Frankly, anyone who hunts Zim is only ever a step or two away a disaster of some sort, again due to the corruption and lawless nature of the country, its Government and its people...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by tmitch

I don't really care about the lion, or the toothy, but Kimmel bugs me for some reason. Cross eyed twit isn't really even funny. Maybe it's just that weird lazy eye thing, I dunno.

I'm battle weary, a tsunami of outrage toward all hunting continues as the urbanization of the world continues to lose touch with reality...

Kimmel's spiel...

Proud NRA Life Member
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Crying over Cecil the lion

[Linked Image]

Not crying over a 'woman's choice'

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1936M71, 12344mag, 16penny, 64 invisible), 2,383 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,824
Posts18,477,888
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.