Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Of course my wife wants to get the chickens, lots of 'We really need to get some chickens' etc.

Of course WE means ME doing ALL the work

Dude, you need to re-read Ringworm's advice on such matters. Guy's a fuggin' genius:

Originally Posted by Ringworm
...and if you haven't learned by now, what makes your wife happy makes you happy.
I entertain all my wife's little adventures. If it succeeds, its due to my help and she appreciates it, if it fails its her lack of participation and I have something to hold over her head when I want something.

I'm learning to listen to you and Sam more on such matters. With about 10 marriages between the two you must know something about women....

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Ma'am, The Redhead would never go for such foolishness to begin with unless she intended for it to succeed, and then by God she would accomplish her objective. Hence any need I might have for such strategems is a theoretical exercise only.
grin

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I'm learning to listen to you and Sam more on such matters. With about 10 marriages between the two you must know something about women....

grin

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Ma'am, The Redhead would never go for such foolishness to begin with unless she intended for it to succeed, and then by God she would accomplish her objective. Hence any need I might have for such strategems is a theoretical exercise only.
grin

In all seriousness, I am happy as hell for you and the Redhead.

It was about time you got Blessed by the Best smile

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Thank you, ma'am. I found the best I could, seein' as you were off the market when I went lookin'...
grin

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thank you, ma'am. I found the best I could, seein' as you were off the market when I went lookin'...
grin

blush

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by Cecil56

Buddy and myself went to their farm Saturday night, grabbed two of their roosters and caged them. Drove the hour drive there and put the cage of roosters under their camper about mid-night while they were sleeping. Have not talked with them, we normally get together on Saturadys. Can't wait to hear the story, especially when she figures out that they are her roosters! Yea, I can be a turd.

laugh laugh laugh. You are my hero. Funniest thing I have read all day.

Cecil56
OK what happened when they got home .
My girl friend wants to know if you made it out alive or not.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Haven't looked into the economics, but make sure you compare the costs of free range birds and eggs vs. the cheepest fosters farms fare. Having had fresh eggs from the coop as a kid, you just can't compare the quality to most of what you get in the store.

To me that is the real benefit of home guardening, fishing, hunting or raising stock. You get a premium fresh product that in many cases you simply can't buy.

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

This bit of man oath should be hung above every garage workbench throughout the kingdom.

Originally Posted by ringworm

I (will) entertain all my wife's little adventures. If it succeeds, its due to my help and she appreciates it, if it fails its her lack of participation and I have something to hold over her head when I want something.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
We got 35 meat birds and 6 California White egg layers. My wife just hates our 5 chickens, but then she goes and orders these. Having chickens is just something we most likely will do forever. It is mostly my fault for loosing so many chickens this spring. I have to trap a dozen coons a yr to keep the coons in control. A few posts back someone mentioned a 40 lb coon goes where he wants. I know, I had a coon get out of my coon cuff trap last night. Roundoak, I noticed the white chickens had some black spots on them. Are those California WHites?[Linked Image]

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by funshooter

Buddy and myself went to their farm Saturday night, grabbed two of their roosters and caged them. Drove the hour drive there and put the cage of roosters under their camper about mid-night while they were sleeping. Have not talked with them, we normally get together on Saturadys. Can't wait to hear the story, especially when she figures out that they are her roosters! Yea, I can be a turd.

Cecil56

First off, I'm NOT the hero. It was my friend's idea and I played along. Just helped catch and cage the birds, then made the trip. I'm not used to the late hours, but it was worth it. We didn't get home until after 2 AM, I'm normally in bed by 10 PM.

Did get a call from another buddy to tell me the story today. (he was not in the know and I kept my lips zipped. They still have no idea who was behind the prank) We might keep it that way, beings there were only 2 of us involved. Now on to the good stuff. wink

Seems the roosters started crowing in a busy Memorial Weekend state park shortly before 5 AM. Love it! Guess all the neighboring campers were outside and wondering WTF. NOT happy campers at all. (the plan) Park officers there before 6:30 AM for the commotion. I hear one of the younger ones had a smirk on his face, the older one not so much. My buddy played stupid (which he was) then unhooked his pickup from the camper and drove the birds home. (wasted 3 hours of his day and he missed breakfast too) LOL!

He had it coming and it was well deserved. Years ago he dumped some skunk scent upwind of a family picnic I attended. Desert is best served cold you know! Just spoke with my partner in crime, we will play dumb and know nothing.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Guinea hens are hardier, great watchdogs, and will eat just about anything.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by funshooter

Cecil56

First off, I'm NOT the hero. It was my friend's idea and I played along. Just helped catch and cage the birds, then made the trip. I'm not used to the late hours, but it was worth it. We didn't get home until after 2 AM, I'm normally in bed by 10 PM.

Did get a call from another buddy to tell me the story today. (he was not in the know and I kept my lips zipped. They still have no idea who was behind the prank) We might keep it that way, beings there were only 2 of us involved. Now on to the good stuff. wink

Seems the roosters started crowing in a busy Memorial Weekend state park shortly before 5 AM. Love it! Guess all the neighboring campers were outside and wondering WTF. NOT happy campers at all. (the plan) Park officers there before 6:30 AM for the commotion. I hear one of the younger ones had a smirk on his face, the older one not so much. My buddy played stupid (which he was) then unhooked his pickup from the camper and drove the birds home. (wasted 3 hours of his day and he missed breakfast too) LOL!

He had it coming and it was well deserved. Years ago he dumped some skunk scent upwind of a family picnic I attended. Desert is best served cold you know! Just spoke with my partner in crime, we will play dumb and know nothing.

Thanks for the laugh.
Girl friends gunna love it to.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I keep guineas for ticks and bugs, chickens for eggs all free range. Got a big area for them. The chickens go into a coop at night and to lay and the guineas roost in the trees. The eggs are a whole lot better than store bought and folks are always wanting the extras. Never had a vermin issue and keep the coons shot down. Gnats are an issue

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Then, 9 weeks later it's time!!!!! FFFFRRRREEEZZZEEERR camp. They go in tomorrow morning. They are the best eating chickens on earth. This is also the first time it will come out cheaper to raise them myself. Eggs are now $3.29 and whole chickens are $2.49 lb. I will get these for about $2.00 LB. This year it was really worth it.[Linked Image]

Last edited by ihookem; 07/29/15.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The knowlege gained from knowing how and how much trouble wont' be bad knowledge to have at all.

Beyond that, we don't eat enough eggs to make it worth our while, only 2 of us, and don't need tons of extra cholesterol, dont' recall if eggs currently are good or bad, but like bacon with grease etc... moderation is best.

But I appreciate knowing how to do all of the stuff one might have to if the world flip flops ever....

Animals, grass, gardens, hunt, fish, can, smoke etc.... are all good thigns to have intimate knowledge of. Assuming one isn't living smack dab in some city.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rob, I haven't read the whole thread but I bet I'm the tenth one [at least - to answer your question this way:

Of course your wife should raise chickens. She's already used to chickenschitt.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Tyson wont sell a skinny, yellow chicken. Hell no. His are too freaking covered in fat and never roam to get the greens with beta carotene and vitamin A that make a skinny yellow chicken delicious and why we started eating them in the first place. Kill the young roosters 3/4 grown and really enjoy fried chicken.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
I have 29 meat birds and 6 egg layers in a 6x12 pen. I move it two times and sometimes 3 times a day so that can eat the clover. As soon as the pen gets moved they pick almost all the clover leaves in the pen. That gives them about 30% protein . This time around I gave them a bit more corn cause my chickens were a bit too lean. We will see how they turn out. I used to let them run but it seemed they grew more muscle and I thin that made them tough and stringy.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I think you folks should go ahead and try it. fresh chicken eggs are good but when boiled -the shells stick to the egg and are hard to peel. the shell treated eggs you buy in the store don't do this because they are at least a week or two old. fresh chicken tastes better, there is a difference. I raised broilers - 25 at a time for 4H, using broiler starter and broiler finisher commercial feed. rock Cornish cross worked well for me, also called K44? Murray Mc Murray is ok to deal with. I even used to surguricaly (sp) caponize the young roosters to make capons but with the rock Cornish cross available, this is no longer necessary. try not to keep the broilers over 8 weeks as they turn into baby turkeys and eat too much. you can start killing them at about 4 or 5 weeks. kill them all by 6 or 8 weeks and have a party! have fun, Mel

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

498 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 55 invisible), 2,065 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,088
Posts18,521,961
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.