Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
Originally Posted by Holston
You guys are pretty close. Most of my hunting is in Smyth. I hunt a little bit in Tazewell and Grayson, but not too often.

Clinch Mountain and Skulls Gap are where I'm usually at.

You ever hunt any over around Sugar Grove, VA?

Yea, not as much as I used to, but I hunt there every year.

Dry Creek, Dickie's Creek and Slab Town to be specific.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You guys are pretty close. Most of my hunting is in Smyth. I hunt a little bit in Tazewell and Grayson, but not too often.

I use to bow hunt there in the 80's .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yea, not as much as I used to, but I hunt there every year.

Dry Creek, Dickie's Creek and Slab Town to be specific.

Used to be a lot of deer in those areas.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dickie's Creek isn't near what it used to be. One good buck from Dry Creek (that I'm aware of) in the past few years.

No one camps there anymore, a lot of bear hunters always in Dry Creek.

Slab Town has a ton of deer, and a ton of hunters.

Last good one I know of that came out of the area...
[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
That's a hoss!

We used to hunt The Dry Run Wilderness area (even before it was a wilderness area) Killed 2 bucks there the same morning in 93. I thought i was going to die getting both of them out!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dickie's Creek isn't near what it used to be. One good buck from Dry Creek (that I'm aware of) in the past few years.

No one camps there anymore, a lot of bear hunters always in Dry Creek.

Slab Town has a ton of deer, and a ton of hunters.

Last good one I know of that came out of the area...
[Linked Image]

That is a beast of a buck.

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MagMarc
That's a hoss!

We used to hunt The Dry Run Wilderness area (even before it was a wilderness area) Killed 2 bucks there the same morning in 93. I thought i was going to die getting both of them out!

Given how rough some of that country is I have always been puzzled why VA will not allow a hunter to quarter and pack a deer out.

We can in NC.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's a hoss!

Given how rough some of that country is I have always been puzzled why VA will not allow a hunter to quarter and pack a deer out.

We can in NC.

We can, you just have to call it in first. I agree it's a stupid law.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a hoss!

We can in NC.

We can, you just have to call it in first. I agree it's a stupid law.

You leave the deer to go call it in and the critter will be on the way to somebody else freezer before you get back.

Hopefully. they will change the regulation.

Last edited by hillbillybear; 07/30/15.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
its a phone-in checking system. once you call you can bring it out in quart bags if you like.

IC B3

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You don't have to check it in first. You have to check it in prior to vehicular transport of the game animal, or at the conclusion of the hunting day, whichever occurs first and without unnecessary delay.

https://www3.dgif.virginia.gov/gamecheck/

The "unnecessary delay" allows for hunters that are outside of cell range when darkness falls to call in the kill ASAP once they get to cell range. That does not mean that you can't cut it up and start (or completely) haul it out prior to making the call; it just means that you have to make that call as soon as such a call is feasible.

The system is a whole Hell of a lot better than it used to be, that's for damned sure.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
According to 3 different wardens...

If I decide to take a deer apart to bring it out, if I haven't called it in and received a number, I MUST have EVERY piece of the deer other than the internal organs. Otherwise, I will be ticketed if caught.

This was told to me by 2 different wardens in person, and one on a phone call.

I know from experience, you can't beat these grey areas in court. It sucks to get misdemeanor charges for something that isn't "wrong" or even clearly illegal. But they will pin it on you every time.

My advice, either call it in if you plan on quartering/deboning...or start dragging.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
According to 3 different wardens...

If I decide to take a deer apart to bring it out, if I haven't called it in and received a number, I MUST have EVERY piece of the deer other than the internal organs. Otherwise, I will be ticketed if caught.

This was told to me by 2 different wardens in person, and one on a phone call.

I know from experience, you can't beat these grey areas in court. It sucks to get misdemeanor charges for something that isn't "wrong" or even clearly illegal. But they will pin it on you every time.

My advice, either call it in if you plan on quartering/deboning...or start dragging.

I'll be at a Hunter Ed training seminar soon; I'll get the temp on this from VDGIF then and there.

I won't disagree that a lot of wardens interpret things differently based upon personal viewpoints rather than the language of the laws/regulations, and that's slow to change.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Page 30 of the 2015-2016 VA hunting regs, just for clarification on the question at hand:

Originally Posted by VDGIF
Checking Bear, Deer, Elk, and Turkey

General Information

• It is unlawful to destroy the identity (sex) of any animal until it is checked. After the appropriate tag has been validated (notched), successful hunters are allowed to dismember the carcass to pack it out from the place of kill as long as they do not destroy the identity of the sex and all the parts of the carcass (excluding internal organs) are present when the animal is checked.

• All bear, deer, elk, and turkey must be checked by all hunters, including license-exempt hunters, upon vehicle transport of the carcass or at the conclusion of legal hunting hours, whichever occurs first and without unnecessary delay.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/huntin...ting-and-trapping-regulations-digest.pdf

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
over 50% of the deer killed in va have never been checked in .this stupid bear thing is only going to make this worse.when they piss off 75-80% of the hunters just to make 25% happy this will happen.

Last edited by srwshooter; 08/06/15.
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by srwshooter
over 50% of the deer killed in va have never been checked in .this stupid bear thing is only going to make this worse.when they piss off 75-80% of the hunters just to make 25% happy this will happen.

You piss and moan considerably.

Where in the Hell do you get the "over 50% of deer killed in VA have never been checked in" stuff?

That somehow people (who is the question) being pissed over $21 is somehow going to turn otherwise lawful hunters into game thieves and poachers (especially when tags are unlimited and cheap) on deer is just silly.

You are pissed about $21, obviously, but damn, it ain't that big a deal.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I've wondered how many really get checked now. With the phone in system does the VADGIF really care?

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

I've wondered how many really get checked now. With the phone in system does the VADGIF really care?

No, in some respects, they really don't care.

They are trying to get a better handle on bear numbers and bear hunter numbers (thus, the tag) as well as turkey, and neither of those are going full phone/e-check in because of it.

Good Lord, I'd hate to imagine what some folks would do if they ever tried to hunt out West where they had to draw a damned tag instead of buying a fist full for relatively little money every year.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 4ager

Good Lord, I'd hate to imagine what some folks would do if they ever tried to hunt out West where they had to draw a damned tag instead of buying a fist full for relatively little money every year.

We have it made in that respect.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I think that a lot of folks around here are like me in that a bear tag is an investment in Maybe.

I buy a tag every year because I might see one, but have yet to make a special trip to the woods looking for one. If I lived in an area where they were more common, it might be different. I do like the fact that the season runs concurrent with deer season.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 59 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,531
Posts18,491,186
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.