The irons have cooled down but they await me in the garage for a cleaning which they'll get shortly.
<br>
<br>I took the Kimber Compact and STI Ranger .45's to the Bullethole in Kokomo for a workout.
<br>
<br>First of all I shot a mess of ammo through both guns with no malfunctions. I truly didn't expect any from the Kimber which I have 700 rounds through with no problems.
<br>
<br>This was the first time I shot the STI Ranger and didn't exactly know what to expect. 120 rounds tonight with no problems.
<br>
<br>The ammo included 230 Hardball, Taurus Copper Bullet, Cor-Bon PoW'Rball, Aguila Aluminum, Fed Hydra Shok 165 and 230, PMC Starfire 230, Remington Golden Saber 230, and probably something else that I can't think of at the moment.
<br>
<br>Both guns not only did not malfunction but would put the bullet exactly where I wanted it to go when I paid attention to what I was doing.
<br>
<br>Much of what I shot was slow fire strings but toward the end I did double taps and full mag bursts.
<br>
<br>The Lord in his efforts to keep me humble has blessed me with arthritis in every joint. My hands in particular are pretty stiff and don't like recoil as much as they used to. My point is that contrary to the wisdom of the folks on this forum I carry my .45's with light weight bullets simply for the lower recoil. The Taurus Copper Bullet and the Cor-Bon PowR'Ball recoil the least. Also powder selection was superb since there is little or now muzzle flash.
<br>
<br>Federal Hydra Shok seems to have the most muzzle flash of the stuff I shot tonight.
<br>
<br>One issue with the STI Ranger. I comes with six-shot magazines and is touted as a 6+1 pieces. Don't you believe it. You cannot get a fully loaded magazine (6 rounds) locked in with the slide closed. So the max in the gun is 6 with a round chambered or 5 with the chamber empty.
<br>
<br>I am looking for some other 6-shot 1911 mags to try.
<br>I was not impressed with the STI mags which seemed to rinky dink.
<br>
<br>

Norm -
NRA Member Since 1966