Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
twinray Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Thanks for the reply. Not the confidence building reply I hoped for. I don't want to add any more holes. Maybe a dab of some sort of adhesive under each base that won't mar the blui g would help restrict movement. Guess I'll just try it out and see if POI moves. I'd much rather have this scoped than not.

Walk slow, get down, hurry up and be quiet.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Adhesive won't stand up to recoil. Maybe get a gunsmith to turn those 2 bases into a 1 piece base by welding a piece between?

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Exactly what bases are the holes for? Wouldn't it be better to determine that and then round up that particular base, even if it meant a search for something obsolete? Also, one could get/make a set of blank bases with no screw holes and have holes put in them to match those on the gun. Then too it wouldn't be the first time someone filled an errant hole in a base and re-drilled a new hole to match the one on the receiver. Lots of ways to skin this cat!

One screw + epoxy might well work, but it would be a bitch to find out it doesn't when out in the woods on opening day...

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
His rear hole he's using is from the Spiegel d&t on top, the front hole is additional.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Heck.. I don't even know how level those bases are when screwed in to those holes. Might be shooting 3' high at 100 yards for all I know.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Gotcha. You know, I would be talking to Mike about having a Lightfoot mount made.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Got a fresh one hangin' in the garage. Just finished the bluing dip. Ramping up for the Fall rush...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just get a mount from Lightfoot. Totally excellent, and will fix your problem.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That is a sweet looking Savage, numbers matching or not. Put a nice mount on it and use it.

T
twinray Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Thanks for the replies especially info on the B&M. Nice to know. I have some ideas on how to " sturdy up" the Weaver bases. I've been put off 3 deliveries of Rem .250 brass by Cabella's. I called Remington and they said it's obsolete and they don't produce it anymore. Jaminson (sp) says they will be running a batch in a month or 2. I may just buy 22-250 brass and resize it. I'd like to see if it'll hold zero with these 1 screw mounts. You'll be the first to know the result.

Last edited by twinray; 07/30/15.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by twinray
Thanks for the replies especially info on the B&M. Nice to know. I have some ideas on how to " sturdy up" the Weaver bases. I've been put off 3 deliveries of Rem .250 brass by Cabella's. I called Remington and they said it's obsolete and they don't produce it anymore. Jaminson (sp) says they will be running a batch in a month or 2. I may just buy 22-250 brass and resize it. I'd like to see if it'll hold zero with these 1 screw mounts. You'll be the first to know the result.

No way would I trust one screw in each mount.

LOL
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+100

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Just asking, would it be possible to egg out the holes in the mounts enough to get all four screws in, instead of filling and re-drilling? Or, find a set of the proper mounts to fit the holes? I really like that rifle and would be searching hi and low for the proper mounts. Or, get a Lightfoot mount and hide the holes, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IIRC the problem is that there are four holes but only two line up. The best way to fix that is to fill the two holes that don't work one way or another and drill them correctly the second time around. That's it. Done deal. The mounts will hide the work and you'll be a lot further ahead than trying to shoot the rifle with one screw in each mount. Then again, there are folks that are hard headed. Do with it what you wish. Life goes on. Have a nice day. smile

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
When he first brought it here I thought it was drilled for the original Redfield 1 piece mount but I've never gotten enough detail to be sure.

Is there 1 or 2 holes in the receiver ring??

T
twinray Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
When he first brought it here I thought it was drilled for the original Redfield 1 piece mount but I've never gotten enough detail to be sure.

Is there 1 or 2 holes in the receiver ring??

1 hole Lightfoot. 2 in the rear but spaced too far apart for the Weaver base. I have a Redfield Mount that fits currect D&Ted 99's but is NG for my hole line up. Just curious, anyone have FACTUAL DATA that it won't hold POI with 1 screw ineach mount or are you just speculating? I plan to (somehow ) tie my 2 bases together. Signed, Hardheaded

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
When I say "original Redfield" I'm talking about the early one that has different hole spacing than the factory chose to use. It does have 2 holes for the receiver ring though.

If I was in your shoes, I'd Loctite those single screws in place and go shootin' Risky? A little sure, and I wouldn't have it as my only gun on a serious hunt, but I bet it will stay put better than feared.

Or, you could buy one of my no-drill mounts but they ain't exactly cheap.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One hole at the far front of receiver is all that was added. The rear two holes are the standard d&t on the Spiegel rifles.

I'd do the lightfoot mount.

Originally Posted by twinray
Here are some photos

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I would put a Stith mount on it and forget about all those extra holes ! smile

T
twinray Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I figure, if it works, good - if it doesn't, nothing lost. If it was a real kicker, like my .358, I wouldn't probably attempt this experiment. And even if it moves "a bit", I'll probably still get tighter groups at 100+ yards than my eyes would give me than with the peep sight. Thanks.

Last edited by twinray; 08/02/15.

T
twinray Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Lightfoot

Or, you could buy one of my no-drill mounts but they ain't exactly cheap.

Even after you factor in my Senior Discount?😊

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

251 members (308xray, 2ndwind, 30Gibbs, 338Rules, 257_X_50, 31 invisible), 2,150 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,863
Posts18,478,602
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.