Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T

I haven't paid any attention to AR brass catchers for a long while.

For hand-load development at the range, what's good?

GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I'm using the $8.99 Caldwell brass catcher, the one that has a velcro collar that goes around the forend and a mesh bag on a nylon frame that fits over the ejection port.

It works great from the bench. I wouldn't want to use it if I were shooting off hand, or in any position with any gun movement as the velcro can slip a bit, but for load development off the bench, I like it. I figured it was a better deal than the $40 Caldwell unit that is more robust and likely better for use off the bench.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I hear motivated children are a big help policing brass - with all due attention to eye and ear protection and forward of the line only when called for. They can track the brass and pounce on it. I did when young.

I use a velcro wrap around that may be the same as the Caldwell on the gun. I think it works OK for load testing and better than nothing for sight testing slow fire standing - agreed it would be a total waste of time for rattle battle.

It's not really touted as a brass catcher or a wind blocker but I've often used a Pachmayr Pistol Box with attached spotting scope to bounce the brass back toward the firearm and not scatter too far.

I don't use but I do find intriguing brass catchers that attach to the shooter's arm rather than to the firearm - mostly for handguns. Equally interesting and never tried are the big butterfly net types either tripod mounted for standing or just a big big square opening on the ground.

In the wild from a car hood or from benches improvised or brought from home a Harbor Freight blue tarp maybe raised a little on the far side.

T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T

Thanks. This would be for developing handholds with good brass for hunting, or zeroing the scope with same. So, only from the bench, and it just needs to keep the Lapua from skipping off into the tall grass.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Oregon45
I'm using the $8.99 Caldwell brass catcher, the one that has a velcro collar that goes around the forend and a mesh bag on a nylon frame that fits over the ejection port.

It works great from the bench. I wouldn't want to use it if I were shooting off hand, or in any position with any gun movement as the velcro can slip a bit, but for load development off the bench, I like it. I figured it was a better deal than the $40 Caldwell unit that is more robust and likely better for use off the bench.

My buddy uses the same one on his Rock River ATH. It works pretty good:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
http://www.brownells.com/shooting-a...s/ar-15-m16-brass-catcher-prod24196.aspx

I stopped using the net bag Caldwell years ago

Melted nylon on the cases in the summer......holes in the bag before you knew it

Brownells makes an all Cordura catcher that straps on with velcro just as the net bag type from Caldwell does.

I like that it has a metal inner arm and will NOT melt

Yes it cost 4x more but it is imo 10x better and will last a lifetime

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
For strictly bench use I would get the $40.00 net thingy Caldwell makes. As long as you aren't changing the angle of your dangle, the brass will go straight into the net and they are pretty slick.

I use the Velcro model that attaches to the forearm but I change positions a lot for the different ranges I shoot. Otherwise I would use the one that sits to the side.

The ones that attach are serviceable. But when they fill up with brass they shift and you have to keep adjusting them. They will also cause malfunctions when not properly aligned.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it was me, I would just put a blue tarp over where the brass will land. When through, gather the corners and roll them to the center and then pick them up or pour into a bucket. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by milespatton
If it was me, I would just put a blue tarp over where the brass will land. When through, gather the corners and roll them to the center and then pick them up or pour into a bucket. miles

Don't forget 4-6 bricks to keep it down. And remember you can only use the bench furthest to the right.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
a small child. Tell him he gets to shoot one shot for every 10 pieces of brass he finds.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I hear motivated children are a big help policing brass
They come out the gun very hot. My young daughter picked on up before I could say anything and got a big blister on her finger for her effort. Make sure they understand that.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
My kids would watch you dump four mags and then name their price.

Travis

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

My buddy uses the same one on his Rock River ATH. It works pretty good:

[Linked Image]

Just don't use it on a PTR 91. It shoots brass through the side of the bag.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've got sons that'll do it, but their dad gets their trigger time... wink

T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by deflave
Don't forget 4-6 bricks to keep it down. And remember you can only use the bench furthest to the right.

BTDT with the tarp. Both flat on the ground and hanging from the roof over the bench.

Borrowing a small child is a challenge. Mine are adults now, and they think supporting their leisure habits is my job.

A net thingy attached to the bench seems to be the way to go.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by milespatton

Walmart blue tarp and hot brass might = a mess on a hot day with hot brass

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Off of a bench I use a cardboard box turned on its side laying on the bench. The brass ejects right inside the box.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I use the $40 Caldwell net that sets on the bench beside you. Best $40 I've spent. Beats the hell out of chasing brass everywhere. Especially 22 brass when my girls are shooting.

Use to have the velcro brass catcher. It worked ok, but if it slipped any it could cause jams. Spend the extra money for the bench net and you can use it for more than just your ARs.

Good is not good when better is expected. ~ Thomas Fuller
Ordered this on Friday, just opened the package that quite literally arrived as I was starting to reply.

Looks sturdy and the mesh appears to be something like cotton.

I ordered (and received) an extra Pic mounting adapter, too.

Greg

Good marksmanship is no accident
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I use this one and would not hesitate to get another. I did buy mine about 6 or 7 years ago and the price was about 20 bucks less if I remember right.

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-a...6-brass-savr-brass-catcher-prod1541.aspx

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1minute, 12344mag, 219DW, 06hunter59, 21, 204guy, 60 invisible), 2,549 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,603
Posts18,511,511
Members74,007
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.