Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
My right knee has been bone on bone for 20 years. I was having a lot of pain and was planning on surgery this year. On a "how can I spend 30 bucks whim", I bought a too good to be true product I saw advertised on TV to fix stuff like I had, Instaflex, and after taking about 8-12 pills the pain was gone. Your supposed to take one or two (maybe 3) a day, but I didn't and have taken maybe another 4 or 6 in the last 7-8 months just when the pain comes back. A capsule or two nails it for a couple months. I like it.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Couldn't agree more SH.

Doc, what is a TKA? I take it that's the artificial joint? I also know to expect pain during therapy, as I've been through all that 4 times already and take it seriously. Were you guys able to get around decently after a month or so? I've got a trip planned for mid October.....30 yr anniversary thingy I better not bail out of.

TKA - "Total Knee Arthroplasty". There's also a "partial" arthroplasty.

You'll be able to get around after a month, although you might still be using a cane.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
To echo what some others have posted... get it done, you won't regret it. I can't say I would recommend having both done at the same time, though. I had my left done first, then the right done a year and a half later. Prior to the first surgery I walked with 2 canes for a while, it was so bad. Now I walk anywhere I want, backpack, hunt, wade streams and fish, you name it. Just don't wuss out on the rehab. No pain, no gain.

Best money I ever spent, other than the penis reduction surgery.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
OK Thanks. I've tried every over the counter thing, and a couple of those TV offer things to no avail. I've been taking two Aleve every morning for 4 years now and that does help.

Doc, my first two surgeries, one on each knee, was back in the late '80's, and I did them both at the same time. It turned out to not be such a great idea for me, as I could not rehab properly I was so unstable for so long. I didn't have a "good" leg to favor so as to properly rehab the other one. That was right after I was done playing pro ball as a catcher.....that's what started all this stuff.

Last edited by JGRaider; 08/04/15.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Yeah, I was on Aleve too, but it caused liver enzymes to rise after a while. IIRC, I was walking without a cane in 4 weeks after each surgery.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DocRocket
To echo what some others have posted... get it done, you won't regret it. I can't say I would recommend having both done at the same time, though. I had my left done first, then the right done a year and a half later. Prior to the first surgery I walked with 2 canes for a while, it was so bad. Now I walk anywhere I want, backpack, hunt, wade streams and fish, you name it. Just don't wuss out on the rehab. No pain, no gain.

Best money I ever spent, other than the penis reduction surgery.

laugh laugh

I had to get that procedure done twice!

First one didn't take... whistle

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
my fil had both knees replaced at the same time. soon he was up, walking and talking. he was up in his 70's.

based upon a sample of one (or two?), evidence suggests that it tends to work.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
LMAO..........mine's only 2"............from the ground.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Go get them done, but before you do, go to the Physical therapist and find out what goals they have for you post op, then start the stretching exercises before the operation get the proper movement before the knife.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

You better get your knees done......and soon.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My dad had both replaced and it was a disaster....

His quality of life will never be the same.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jimy

You better get your knees done......and soon.

You bastid........ smile

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Sorry to hear that GregW. What happened if you don't mind?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had my bad knee replaced in July of 2013 at age 70. I hunted elk in Colorado that October and deer here in New Mexico in November, the first time in a long time that I was able to go up and down the mountains without pain. The surgeon that did mine employs minimally invasive computer-assisted surgery and I would suggest that you check into it.

There is a lot of pain for the first couple of weeks and my doctor urged me to use the pain meds and stay ahead of the pain so that I could do the simple rehab exercises that he recommended. I was walking a mile each day and driving three weeks after the surgery. A friend who had her surgery on the same day by the same surgeon did not follow his instructions. She took a lot longer and endured a lot more pain before she was able to get back to normal activities.

I recommended my doctor to an older friend here in the valley (age 77) and he had both of his knees done, although not at the same time. I loaned him my stationary bike but he didn't like to use it and it took him a few weeks longer with each knee to get back to getting around good. I had recalled the advice from my wife's friend Jim Reynolds, who did have both knees done at the same time. He said, "If you have 'em both done at the same time, you'd better have someone around who is willing to wipe your ass for you!"

Last edited by mudhen; 08/04/15.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
That's remarkable, mudhen. There's no way in hell I would have been able to hunt three months after my surgery. I was still on a cane after two.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GregW
My dad had both replaced and it was a disaster....

His quality of life will never be the same.

Yeah, I was thinking about Olin when reading this.

Greg's right. His dad ain't good.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
What I"m reading here, that each body can be different, but also a HUGE thing, and you know this, pick your doctor very carefully. GEt a LOT Of references and TALK to them.

Would be the only way I"d go and if it took a year to come to a comfortable decision and I had to fly somewhere further away ... I would...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
And repeat, follow therapy to a T, do what they say, and more if allowed, but if not, then don't....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My mom had both of hers replaced at the same time. IIRC, it took about 3 mths of therapy, but she went back to work as a nurse and worked several more years. She told me, if she had known it would stop the pain and she could walk/work again, she would have had it done years earlier.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have to agree on the "pick your doctor wisely" deal. There are a lot of orthopedic surgeons out there, and some ain't very good. The guy who did both my knees was the only doc in the city I'd let touch me, based on my experience treating post-op patients in the ED and based on recommendations of the OR nurses. OR nurses can give you a lot of good info, but don't just take ONE nurse's opinion. Nurses can get wet panties for a jerk and tell you that he's God's Gift, when he ain't. Just sayin'.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (10gaugeman, 1936M71, 1minute, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 69 invisible), 2,383 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,685
Posts18,494,008
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.