Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Try 70 grain VLDs in your current rifle. If they shoot well (and there's a good chance they will), you'll save a bunch of money dinking around with a new barrel. You will never see the difference between a standard 223 and the Ackley in the field.

Thanks for the recommendation, if I remember correctly did you buy a Kimber Montana that was rechambered to 223 AI? What were your experiences with it, accuracy modifications, loads etc if you don't mind sharing. Maybe you still have it, you may PM me if you'd rather not share here.

Thanks

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My brother lives in a town of 250 people and there are half a dozen guys with lathes that know how to rebarrel their rifles.

I live in a town of 20,000, and I am the only one I know of.

It must have something to do with square miles.

----------------------------

I have built a 257 Roberts Ackley improved, a 257 Roberts Ackley improved Rimmed, and I just got the reamer and dies for 250 Krag Ackley improved.

Ackley, don't do it in 223.
Don't waste all that time forming, when 223 brass is so cheap.
It is so cheap, don't even trim, just throw away.
With a collet neck die, a 223 case dedicated to one rifle can go 25 shots before trimming.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sure the bolt through the head might have been a bit of hyperbole. But what the hell is the difference between a bolt through the head, an exploded action or barrel, or an 80k psi blast of gas to the face when you're the shooter? It's bad news either way, doesn't really matter about the details. And the rifle coming apart and sending the bolt flying isn't just speculation.....there's a pretty good dent in a building made by a rifle bolt, behind the shooting bench at Western Powders just up the road from me, where one of their guys was testing a wildcat....the rifle came apart due to an overload and blew pieces all to hell and gone.

Way to much emotion about other folks choice of rifles or cartridge.

Dave

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
His comment really wasn't about anyone's choice of rifle or cartridge.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OK, way to emotional about other folks choice to punch a 223 to 223AI, happy?

Dave

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It wasn't about that either, but keep guessing.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
GFY, Hig' didn't specify a barrel length so I sure the fu'k ain't guessing about anything.

Dave

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's about a Clueless Dumbfhuqk talking out of her Whining ass...about the things she "knows" the LEAST about. In other words,same old schit,different day.

"20-30fps"?!? I'm fhuqking crying I'm laughing sooooooooooo fhuqking hard!!!

Poor Poor STUPID Goat Fhuqk is reliably more than a touch shy,of hitting on all cylinders and can only do the best she can,with what incredibly fhuqking little she has to work with. Bless her heart.

If only in "fairness" I've got more 223AI's than she's ever fhuqking seen and just might have dabbled a Montucky or two,chambered same. Hint. That in both OEM setback/punchout and full Custom to increase RPM. Re-Hint. Lilja,Rock,PN,and Hart being just a few of them specimens. Re-re-hint. Twist rates running 7",7.7",8" and OEM 9". Re-re-re-hint.

Now to the OP's query,if only to cut to the fhuqking chase in the firsthand.

1) If a Plumber is stumped by a Montucky...RUN Forrest...fhuqking RUN. Hint.

2) 8" will do it all,in all atmospheres. Splendid spouts abound and it is nice to have sooooooooooo many choices. There is MUCHO Mojo in the various 3-grooved 1-8" buttoned offerings. Dan's wares are solid and Chris assuredly gets a scald on his. I'd shop closest to tidewater.(grin)

3) The Montucky OEM contour is money. The LAST fhuqking thing I'd do to said platform,is add contour or barrel length. I've got it on GOOD fhuqking authority,that my 1-8" Brux contour duped 6BR at 20",is THE one. Prolly because there ain't another place on the Planet,as steeped in Custom Montuckies,as my AO. Hint. I've only got said contour in 20,21 and 22". Re-Hint.

As an aside,there's also Ascents and Adirondacks lurking. I mighta coulda been around some 8400's too,in both OEM and Custom guise.

Weren't my intent to steal 20 or 30fps of someone's "thunder" nor the awe inspiring Barn Dent Recital's moxie. Laughing!

MAYBE we'll get "all" of the "details" of the "wildcat" that loosed a bolt and be able to correlate the rampant DUMBFHUQKEREY,to that which it is?!? Chambering,twist,throat,action,barrel,powder,brass,primer and "experience".

Still wondering...who chews her food for her?!?

Fhuqking WOW +P++!!!.....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
F'kn amazing that Stick is limited to one post per 24 hours and Claiborne has unlimited privileges.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RDW
GFY, Hig' didn't specify a barrel length so I sure the fu'k ain't guessing about anything.

Finally, you're getting close.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RDW

Yeah, I guess I left that out. It's 18" long. Takes a lot of blue dot to get those speeds, but it's worth it. wink

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by RDW

I believe he has. His load has been run through Quickload. But that's not really the point here.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by BurninDupont
Try 70 grain VLDs in your current rifle. If they shoot well (and there's a good chance they will), you'll save a bunch of money dinking around with a new barrel. You will never see the difference between a standard 223 and the Ackley in the field.

Thanks for the recommendation, if I remember correctly did you buy a Kimber Montana that was rechambered to 223 AI? What were your experiences with it, accuracy modifications, loads etc if you don't mind sharing. Maybe you still have it, you may PM me if you'd rather not share here.

Thanks

BurninDupont,

I had a 223 AI Montana for a while. Was a very nice rifle, but didn't see a darned bit of difference between it and the 8 twist extended mag 223 AI I had at the same time. Or a 9 twist 223. This was on targets, prairie dogs, etc., out to 500+ yards. Occasionally out quite a bit further for fun.

I'll try and dig through my data and see what worked in that rifle; don't remember off the top of my head. Will get back to you.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'bean,

I hear good thangs about 18" 223AI's...but I've of course got 'em from 18 to 24".

Found a BWH 1-8" 3-grooved 18" Slim Middie in the corner,earlier this R&R and slammed it aboard as replacement for a C/L RRA Middie. Trouble was,it HATED the LBBMFER Fodder loaded in advance for the RRA spout(O/F RP 400's,lever,400's and 75 Hornie HPBT),so that approach was no joy. C-Note happily digested them at 2870fps as form fodder and the world is right again.

Schit always works out.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

C-Note will grant 3075fps in formed cases with 75A-Max at 18" via 8" Rock. Hint.

Have several 20-inchers too and they assuredly is no fhuqking slouch. Been flogging on The Electric Chair purty good this pass and it's 20" spout grooves on 40's at 3950fps('335 of course). It's Twistchow,which is the only fhuqking reason it don't eat 75's like all of the rest.

10" PN.

[Linked Image]

THE Rock is 21" and is a phenom with 50's at 3750fps('335 of course). Again,it is Twistchow...so no 75's there. In nice conditions,it'll stay well under 2" at the 500yd line and happens to be one of the Legendary Egg Rifles.

1-14" Hart.

[Linked Image]

My Rocktucky happens to be 21" too and it lives on 75's at 3150fps('335 of course). 1-7" contour dupe,shortened a CH from OEM and Mike do cut rifling better than anyone else. Easy for me to say,as I've got 'em all. Hint.

[Linked Image]

Sporty Spice is a 1-8" 3-grooved PN and has long thrived on 75 A-Max at 3150fps.

[Linked Image]

My Samtucky(OEM spout left in 223 SAAMI as issued),squirts 75A-Max at 2875fps from it's 22" spout.

[img]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1024q90/132/oi24.jpg[/img]

20,21 and 22" 'tucky's. Brux,Rock and OEM.

[img]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1024q90/673/sUCbuf.jpg[/img]

I could prolly go on and on....and on.(grin) But I'm on pins & fhuqking needles awaiting the harrowingly fascinating "details" of the highly vaunted Dented Barn Chronicles. Laughing! That despite my having much more than a "hunch",that it'll be a rather fhuqking awkward silence and them "particulars" will remain "Proprietary".

The Paper Hat Brigade's Secret Squirrel schit,is reliably THE most hilarious of their efforts. Wow +P+!!!

9" remains THE .224" bastard twist rate,in that nothing is for certain in it's regard. Some will make 75 A-Max sing and some won't,then atmospherics can skew same and piss in the punch. There isn't a better platform from which to fling that bullet from(Montucky) and that bullet simply has no fhuqking equal. If an OEM spout will pinwheel same in OEM guise in one's atmosphere,be thankful and box 'er up and head 'er out,to be setback and punched out. It's pre-established stability will only be bolstered by the RPM increase inherent of increased velocity. Once it's back in grubby mitts,it's hardly daunting to move the magbox shim to arrange 75gr smooches and land chasing,as well as shortening the ejector.

You've been led to water.

Hint.

GOOD talk......................

(Addendum: to grant a HACK "credit")

Steelhead,

I've mentioned more than once,that I'd not let JKobble rebarrel a milkshake,with a fresh straw.

Them constants...remain constant...................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Big Stick

[Linked Image]

C-Note will grant 3075fps in formed cases with 75A-Max at 18" via 8" Rock. Hint.

Jkob do that one........

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Watch it Stick, you might get a bolt threw your eyeball!

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Quick load says YES!!!

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by BurninDupont

Thanks

BurninDupont,

I had a 223 AI Montana for a while. Was a very nice rifle, but didn't see a darned bit of difference between it and the 8 twist extended mag 223 AI I had at the same time. Or a 9 twist 223. This was on targets, prairie dogs, etc., out to 500+ yards. Occasionally out quite a bit further for fun.

I'll try and dig through my data and see what worked in that rifle; don't remember off the top of my head. Will get back to you.

Okay thank you I would appreciate that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BHW: Whose blanks are they using?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
NOBODY,
Is that skunk cabbage?

You are the one that taught me to get a bull barrel, because I don't want a cow barrel.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

678 members (160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 74 invisible), 3,055 guests, and 1,385 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,479
Posts18,471,757
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.