Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Planning a trip to the Denali hwy. I plan to hunt 13B in the Clearcreek area. First time going this year. Any pointers?

Thanks

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
What are you hunting? Unless you've moved from the location listed under your handle you can only hunt moose with a draw permit and can't hunt caribou at all. I'm sure there are bears around though in all my trips up there I've yet to see one, if thats what you're after look high on the berry patches. Lots of ptarmigan around that area and grayling fishing in the nearby lakes and streams can be excellent though I've never caught any real big ones. Give us some more info about your plans and maybe we can be of a little more help.

P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Ak resident. Is it too late to get a caribou permit? This is a last minute opp as I just got invited. So, I am trying to pull it together quickly.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
dont' you have to be resident for at least 6 months too?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by paddlejon
Ak resident. Is it too late to get a caribou permit? This is a last minute opp as I just got invited. So, I am trying to pull it together quickly.

You need either a tier I, tier II or draw permit to hunt caribou and you'll have to wait until next year to try for one of those.

Jeff, you have to have lived in Alaska for 365 days to be eligible for those hunts.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I thought it was a long time frame, 6 months is wrong, its 12 months. Makes sure everyone is level IMHO

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
State makes a lot of money off hunters that do not know the regulations in the ClearCreek Controlled use area too. the troopers seem to write a lot tickets every year on guys driving in their to hunt. The northside of the denali hwy after you cross the Susitna river is walk in only for hunting the south side of the hwy be prepared to meet couple hundred of your new best friends. Only opportunity for you will be a moose harvest ticket as well... As others have said no caribou hunting for you this year.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
John-
Haven't looked at the regs for that area, but the north side is 'non-motorized' and not specifically walk in? (thinking like a horseman)

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yeah, hayburners and bicycles are good to go on the Clearwater. And you can hunt small game from a vehicle in some parts, IE Valdez creek road, but if you spy a legal bull you have to drive back out to the highway and hike, bike, or horseback in to get him.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thanks.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
John-
Haven't looked at the regs for that area, but the north side is 'non-motorized' and not specifically walk in? (thinking like a horseman)

Yes you are correct horses, bikes (I know of a couple guys that road bikes in their and got nice caribou) etc are allowed. Just don't get caught with anything with a motor in it.. Seems like every year troopers catch guys driving out of their with caribou and get a ticket.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks.

You are a brave man if you are going to ride horse back there as many yahoos that show up out their and get trigger happy especially if they see horn/antlers hanging off the horse packing out. I would wrap the horses in orange that you could see 2 miles out. But If you get back up in the country on horseback I imagine you will have a lot of the country to yourself no too many guys are going to hump it back their to shoot a moose.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
No immediate plans. Just always thinking and considering options.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only concern is when one would be getting close to the road coming back out of the area.. My cousin manages a ranch down in arizona he said he could get me into some horses relatively cheap.. Always thought horses and haul road for caribou would be a fun hunt....

Last edited by 79S; 08/08/15.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
heck you don't need to buy horses!

that's what ironbender is for, 5 cases of beer, some grain or hay and invite him on the hunt

you're in like Flynn

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'm not so sure I'd want to take horses through all the Obama heads. I like my horses.

2L2Q - answer your damn fone.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
And you won't have to feed and house the needy bastards the rest of the year. The horses that is, I havent met Ironbender but I gather he has his own dwelling and isn't very needy smile.

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

I'm not so sure I'd want to take horses through all the Obama heads. I like my horses.

2L2Q - answer your damn fone.

Just spit my coffee all over my keyboard grin

A couple of days ago, I was wondering what those horrible things were called now. Gotta be PC and what we called them in the Yukon would surely not pass muster today.

Obama Heads ... Sh1t, that's funny!

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
LOL, said that while up there the first year of the idiots 'election'.... folks just laughed...

Wife even knows what the "grass" looks like now when we walk out of the spruce.. nope, not goign that way unless we HAVE to... LOL.

I had a long pack down hill with half a caribou on my back through them once.... ugh.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I died and my neighbor who has my log in info typed that. As sensitive as I am, I would have typed "tussocks".

My deepest apologies.

wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

690 members (16gage, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 06hunter59, 73 invisible), 3,275 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,542
Posts18,510,109
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.