-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
well,i know that over 50% of the deer i hear about friends and friends of friends killing never get checked in at all.the vdgif has fixed it so they save all the money they can with there phone in system.i hunt all over the state and i see the same thing everywhere i go.we have people in high places in the vdgif that could care less about game,they just want the insurance companies off there back when it comes to deer .

its not that hunters are pissed about the 20.00 for the bear tag . its the fact that all we've heard for the last few years is that the growing bear population has to be brought under control.you people don't live in the highest populated area for bear in the state,i do. when one farm kills 27 bear on damage tags you know you have to many bear. one man killed 11 on that same farm 2 years ago. i've seen 25 trapped and relocated in a month within 1 mile from my house. we don't need any reason for hunters not to take a bear if they see one. having to pay extra for a bear tag will stop lots of hunters from buying it.

GB1

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by srwshooter
well,i know that over 50% of the deer i hear about friends and friends of friends killing never get checked in at all.

That says more about the people you're associating with than anything else. I've hunted the Commonwealth for nearly 30 years, and hunt with a lot of guys that have done so for far longer - most of them in or very near to areas that you say you hunt - and I can NEVER remember a single one of them not checking in a deer or even talking about knowing someone who didn't check one in. This includes every member of a very large hunt club in Nelson County (a county you say you hunt), as well as friends and family that hunt up and down the Shenandoah Valley, the Eastern Shore, Northern Neck and Middle Peninsula, and in several areas around Richmond, Charlottesville, Fredericksburg, and NoVA. Maybe more than 1/2 of the deer people you associate with don't get checked in, but that's a far cry from making the same assumption about the entire kill across the state.

the vdgif has fixed it so they save all the money they can with there phone in system.i hunt all over the state and i see the same thing everywhere i go.we have people in high places in the vdgif that could care less about game,they just want the insurance companies off there back when it comes to deer .

Good f'kin' grief. The VA deer herd is larger now than it has been at any time more than 20 years prior and will rebound from the mast crop failure and two disease outbreaks to increase beyond the historic maximum in just a few short years. If VDGIF was in league with insurance companies to somehow knock the population way down, they are going about it completely ass-backwards.

its not that hunters are pissed about the 20.00 for the bear tag . its the fact that all we've heard for the last few years is that the growing bear population has to be brought under control.you people don't live in the highest populated area for bear in the state,i do. when one farm kills 27 bear on damage tags you know you have to many bear. one man killed 11 on that same farm 2 years ago. i've seen 25 trapped and relocated in a month within 1 mile from my house. we don't need any reason for hunters not to take a bear if they see one. having to pay extra for a bear tag will stop lots of hunters from buying it.

I have lived in, and hunted, that area. I know bears and bear hunters quite well. The Parkway and Skyline Drive right adjacent to your area is a huge driver in bear population numbers and in problem bears, and there's no hunting there.

If someone is going to bitch about $21 over a bear tag, and I'm sure there will be a few, they'd likely not take a bear anyway - it'd be too much work.

VDGIF has managed the deer, turkey, and bear populations of the Commonwealth extremely well for quite some time. I have more than a little confidence in them knowing what they are doing from a biological standpoint, and far more trust in them than in folks that refuse to check in 1/2 of the deer they take when there are unlimited and very cheap tags available.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
It's probably in this thread somewhere but how much for a nonresident bear tag?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
$151.

Here's the other kick about the "extra $21" for residents.

Buy the damned Resident Sportsman's License for $133 and the Bear License is included. That's a whopping $10 more than the same Resident Sportsman's License last year and has all the same tags as it has had before.

Originally Posted by VDGIF
Resident Sportsman's License (age 16 and older)
Includes hunting license, bear license, deer/turkey license, archery license, muzzleloading license, freshwater fishing license, and trout license.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/licenses.asp#license-fees

For a hunter that hunts in more than one county, that license is the only one that makes sense. A resident hunting license costs $23 ($16 if only for one county), deer/turkey license is another $23, muzzleloader another $23, archery $18, fishing is $23, and trout is $23. Buying the licenses separately costs $133, so by buying the Sportsman's License, you're getting the $21 bear tag for free.

Much ado, about nothing.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I own 80 more acres of land and two homes in VA that TN, but still buy NON-RESIDENT licence since I live in TN most of the time. I buy the NR license because I hunt different places other than just my own land. I won't buy the Bear Tag because if I see a bear it will most likely be on my own property and I don't need a license there.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Oh well. So much for that. WV's is $162.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bea175
I own 80 more acres of land and two homes in VA that TN, but still buy NON-RESIDENT licence since I live in TN most of the time. I buy the NR license because I hunt different places other than just my own land. I won't buy the Bear Tag because if I see a bear it will most likely be on my own property and I don't need a license there.

Another very valid point. BTW - you don't even need to buy the nonresident license.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/licenses.asp#what-license

Originally Posted by VDGIF
License Exemptions

All persons, except those listed below, must purchase the proper licenses before hunting or trapping. Where exempt, the exemption means the individual is exempt from the basic hunting license; bear license, deer/turkey license, archery license; muzzleloading license; trapping license; and Virginia Migratory Waterfowl Conservation Stamp. All seasons, bag limits, and checking requirements apply.

Resident or nonresident landowners, their spouses, their children and grandchildren and the spouses of such children and grandchildren, or the landowner's parents, resident or nonresident, do not need a license to hunt, trap or fish (on inland waters) within the boundaries of their own lands.
Tenants, on the land they rent and occupy, are not required to have a license, but must have the written permission of the landowner. Persons who lease property and do not permanently reside there are not exempt from license requirements.
Residents, 65 years of age and over, do not need a license to hunt or trap on private property in their county or city of residence.
Resident hunters under the age of 12 are not required to have a hunting license or hunter education. Nonresident hunters under the age of 12 need a hunting license but do not need hunter education to purchase one. All hunters under the age of 12 may not hunt unless accompanied and directly supervised by a licensed adult.
Residents under the age of 16 are not required to have a license to trap when accompanied by any person 18 years of age or older who possesses a valid Virginia trapping license.
Any person who is not hunting, but is aiding a disabled person to hunt when such disabled person possesses a valid Virginia Disabled Resident Lifetime hunting license or a Virginia Resident Disabled Veteran Lifetime license is not required to have a license.
Any Indian who "habitually" resides on an Indian reservation or a member of the Virginia recognized tribes who resides in the Commonwealth is not required to have a hunting or trapping license; however, such Indian must have on his person an identification card or paper signed by the chief of his tribe, a valid tribal identification card, written confirmation through a central tribal registry, or certification from a tribal office.
Stockholders owning 50 percent or more of the stock of any domestic corporation owning land in Virginia, his or her spouse and children and minor grandchildren, resident or nonresident, do not need a license to hunt, trap and fish within the boundaries of lands and inland waters owned by the domestic corporation.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I purchase NR License so I can hunt where I grew up in Lee County my property is in Montgomery County

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Are there any deer in Lee county?

IC B3

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Gotcha.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4ager
well,i know that over 50% of the deer i hear about friends and friends of friends killing never get checked in at all.

That says more about the people you're associating with than anything else. I've hunted the Commonwealth for nearly 30 years, and hunt with a lot of guys that have done so for far longer - most of them in or very near to areas that you say you hunt - and I can NEVER remember a single one of them not checking in a deer or even talking about knowing someone who didn't check one in. This includes every member of a very large hunt club in Nelson County (a county you say you hunt), as well as friends and family that hunt up and down the Shenandoah Valley, the Eastern Shore, Northern Neck and Middle Peninsula, and in several areas around Richmond, Charlottesville, Fredericksburg, and NoVA. Maybe more than 1/2 of the deer people you associate with don't get checked in, but that's a far cry from making the same assumption about the entire kill across the state.

the vdgif has fixed it so they save all the money they can with there phone in system.i hunt all over the state and i see the same thing everywhere i go.we have people in high places in the vdgif that could care less about game,they just want the insurance companies off there back when it comes to deer .

Good f'kin' grief. The VA deer herd is larger now than it has been at any time more than 20 years prior and will rebound from the mast crop failure and two disease outbreaks to increase beyond the historic maximum in just a few short years. If VDGIF was in league with insurance companies to somehow knock the population way down, they are going about it completely ass-backwards.

I have lived in, and hunted, that area. I know bears and bear hunters quite well. The Parkway and Skyline Drive right adjacent to your area is a huge driver in bear population numbers and in problem bears, and there's no hunting there.

If someone is going to bitch about $21 over a bear tag, and I'm sure there will be a few, they'd likely not take a bear anyway - it'd be too much work.

VDGIF has managed the deer, turkey, and bear populations of the Commonwealth extremely well for quite some time. I have more than a little confidence in them knowing what they are doing from a biological standpoint, and far more trust in them than in folks that refuse to check in 1/2 of the deer they take when there are unlimited and very cheap tags available.

va deer herd may be larger then ever but we are losing deer mainlt to predetors faster then ever.we had a vdgif estimate of 53% of our deer herd on the shenandoah national park starve to death do to deep snows back 2008-2009. the herd is no where near where it was before that. disease,coyotes and bear have been steadily hurting the deer every sense. i'm telling you EVERY HUNTER i know is complainng about the lack of deer .you don't live here so you may be lucky enough to hunt one or two places where you are seeing good numbers.

i know a good friend in the vdgif has been fighting trying to stop this bear tag and get the problem areas a extra tag or longer season for atleast 5 years. he just happens to our regional guy that sets in on all the meeting and helps right the game laws.he tells me all the time that you can't fight money.

va needs to get rid of some doe tags and the bear tag if they want a good deer herd in the western part of the state.then if we're lucky we will have good mass crops for a few years in a row.once you cross shenandoah mountain the deer must have a good acorn crop to survive bad winters because there is very little farmland with crops.i can show you many hunting camps in highland county that never get used now because they have very few deer.

Last edited by srwshooter; 08/07/15.
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The "$21 is too much" line didn't work, because it's incorporated into the Sportman's license.

It further failed because landowners don't even need to buy a license at all on their own property, taking out your "I have too many on my place and so do my neighbors, and we won't shoot over $21" bit.

The 50% poached argument fell flat.

The "VDGIF is in league with the insurance company" part was laughable and still born. What next; did the Farm Bureau import coyotes to control the deer herd? Yes, I've heard that lunacy before, too, but it fits with the other red herrings you've chummed out there.

Now, you're going with the "you don't live here" approach? You don't live in Highland, Nelson, or outside of Richmond; all areas you say you hunt. That rules them out. Oh, and I hunt Nelson as I have for nearly 30 years A LOT. I also hunt Rockbridge, Amherst, Highland, and a few others, with a bunch of them bordering the Parkway and Skyline Drive; the same ones that you're complaining about having no deer (odd, 'cause there are a bunch drug out of there every fall). No one is bitching about bears or other schit; they are commenting on the disease outbreak and making a commitment to shoot fewer does and only old does BY CHOICE. It's really easy; just don't pull the damned trigger.

No schit the herd numbers are down from all time highs; VDGIF figures (that I provided a link to earlier in this thread) show that, and the rationale of 1) mast crop failure, 2) we hunters taking a schit ton of deer that year (figures prove that, too), and 3) two to three years (depending upon exact location) of EHD and Bluetongue outbreaks will do that.

A $21 bear tag, that is included in the Sportman license, and from which landowners are exempt, ain't gonna prevent the herd from rebounding quickly. What will is a lack of restraint on the part of hunters in VA. Perhaps get that through to the poaching crew you hunt with? It'll do a lot more good than bitching about bears.

Last edited by 4ager; 08/07/15.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
everything i've said works,you just have no clue.when you get to va. you go to any checking station and just ask how much its down.especially in the mountains. you will learn the truth.you don't enen have a stake in this never ending battle we are fighting.you obviously understand nothing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What you said about the parks is spot-on.

For a number of years I hunted on a farm about a mile from the Gettysburg battlefield. Within a few days of the opening of the season, many deer just crossed over into the park to ride out the storm. Several times I ran into town for a sandwich and saw literally scores of deer grazing peacefully on the site of Pickett's Charge. No bucks, though. The parkmis severely over- browsed, which you can observe by driving along Confederate Avenue and looking down through the adjacent woods. It's browsed clean to a height of about five feet so you can see the fields on the other side.

The Park Service employs snipers to thin them out, rather than allow bow hunting as practiced by some county and state parks.

Last edited by Pappy348; 08/09/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
everything i've said works,you just have no clue.when you get to va. you go to any checking station and just ask how much its down.especially in the mountains. you will learn the truth.you don't enen have a stake in this never ending battle we are fighting.you obviously understand nothing.

The check stations are irrelevant now with the phone and Internet check system in place. Asking a check station how much the deer numbers are down makes about as much sense as asking the mailman how much bill delivery is down when folks are paying online.

"When I get to VA", huh? That's some funny schit right there. Even more so with "this never ending battle" thrown in. What "battle" is that?

It is obvious who understands what, though. That much is very clear.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
What you said about the parks is spot-on.

For a number of years I hunted on a farm about a mile from the Gettysburg battlefield. Within a few days of the opening of the season, many deer just crossed over into the park to ride out the storm. Several times I ran into town for a sandwich and saw literally scores of deer grazing peacefully on the site of Pickett's Charge. No bucks, though. The parkmis severely over- browsed, which you can observe by driving along Confederate Avenue and looking down through the adjacent woods. It's browsed clean to a height of about five feet so you can see the fields on the other side.

The Park Service employs snipers to thin them out, rather than allow bow hunting as practiced by some county and state parks.

Many Parks in VA are that way as well.

Once bear season opens in VA, you won't find deer up high along the Blue Ridge Parkway (dog-running bear hunters use that as a corridor to hunt the National Forest off either side), but you better be REALLY careful driving the Skyline Drive at all once deer season opens.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
well, i talked my man in the vdgif this morning and he is telling me that they have only seen a few cases of disease in the ramseys draft area. he says the same thing i do that bad winters,lack of mass and coyotes and bears are more to blame for the deer herd decline in western augusta,highland and bath counties.he talked about the number of hunting camps in those area's that are for sale. we have a nice camp just across the mountain from ramsey's that we never use for hunting.

20 years ago i could go to that camp and every parking spot along the roads leading to the GWNF would have a camper in it.he told me that last year opening rifle season they saw 3 campers on the same road.a guy that was with him said he hunted near there on private property for 4 days last year. he never saw a buck and only saw 2 small does. oh he said he heard a total of 3 gunshots in that time. he also told me that he was sorry he couldn't stop the bear tag from coming and that it wasn't going help at all in my area.

you don't much have to worry about driving the skyline drive if you live near it because locals don't go up there much anymore. its turning into a tourist trap as they keep raising fees . i used to ride it and see hundreds of deer in a few hours. now you see very few deer most trips .the deer we have figured out that most of the food is on farms,not on the park.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
well, i talked my man in the vdgif this morning and he is telling me that they have only seen a few cases of disease in the ramseys draft area. he says the same thing i do that bad winters,lack of mass and coyotes and bears are more to blame for the deer herd decline in western augusta,highland and bath counties.he talked about the number of hunting camps in those area's that are for sale. we have a nice camp just across the mountain from ramsey's that we never use for hunting.

20 years ago i could go to that camp and every parking spot along the roads leading to the GWNF would have a camper in it.he told me that last year opening rifle season they saw 3 campers on the same road.a guy that was with him said he hunted near there on private property for 4 days last year. he never saw a buck and only saw 2 small does. oh he said he heard a total of 3 gunshots in that time. he also told me that he was sorry he couldn't stop the bear tag from coming and that it wasn't going help at all in my area.

you don't much have to worry about driving the skyline drive if you live near it because locals don't go up there much anymore. its turning into a tourist trap as they keep raising fees . i used to ride it and see hundreds of deer in a few hours. now you see very few deer most trips .the deer we have figured out that most of the food is on farms,not on the park.

So, you've got a friend that works for VDGIF. GREAT! Join the club. The kill numbers out of those areas haven't dropped compared to where they were 20 years ago. In fact, they are higher now. There are less people hunting those areas now because the hunting is still as hard as it ever was, but there are more deer in much easier to hunt places so folks go where it's easier to get deer.

Agreed on the Skyline Drive; always been a tourist trap; just more of MD and DC are finding it now.

Still waiting to find out what "battle" is raging without end, though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
the battle to stop the idiots in richmond inside the vdgif from ruining va. hunting . we fought from 2004 -2010 to stop them and the DEQ killing off all the fish in our river systems. we put in lots of hours to get laws changed to stop the dumping of garbage along the rivers and to get sewage treatment plants filtration of discharge water upgraded. fishing is getting better now. if you want to see how bad the state will lie to you then you shoulda been in those meetings.if it weren't for a few good people that had some pull in the state we would have never gotten anything changed. we already have the state hunting split into eastern and western regions. its a real PITA sometimes to keep up with all the rule changes from county to county,but we really need more changes in certain areas to control bear populations.

happy hunting.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 1234, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,519
Posts18,491,007
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.