Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Gents - anyone have experience with this model? Believe it or not here in SoFlo 9MM is easier and less expensive to buy than .38 Specials or .357's. How about the straight skinny on the 'lil LCR 9 - how does it shoot?
Homesteader

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The bigger question is do you want to deal with moonclips?

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I got a chance to shoot one a couple of months back. A used one came through the shop where I work part time.

I was very impressed with the pistol overall. The trigger was stellar, and it shot well enough to hit an 8 inch steel plate at about 20 yards, with boring regularity.

It definitely has a "different" recoil impulse than the same pistol in 38 special. I can't describe it, but if you are looking for a diminished recoil in relation to the 38, you will be disappointed.

This is not to say that it is harsh, but you definitely feel like you are shooting +P or some such.

I liked it. I would probably have brought it home as a companion to my G19, but a friend came by, looking for a handgun for his daughter. Like me, he has more than one 9mm in his possession, so the chambering made sense.

Like you mentioned, the 9mm IS cheaper to shoot than the 38 special, especially if you are dealing with having to buy factory practice loads.

The only issue is the little clips for holding the case heads together when you eject. They work MUCH easier than the standard steel clips for the Smith and Wesson's I have dealt with.

So, when the next used 9mm LCR comes through my buddy's shop, I will be dragging it home with me.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Waders

Fastest reloads you could imagine.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
If I remember correctly, Wade had a Smith and Wesson 940. I owned one of those for awhile, too. The clips were a bastid to deal with.

They have designed the ones for the LCR are split between the cutouts for the cases. They still work like they are supposed to, but they are now friendly enough that you don't really need a tool to "de-moon" empties.

And like Jim said, they make for a greasy fast reload.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I like the idea but hate that I can't drop 1 in the chamber.

I've always been a pragmatic guy, and the less shiet I need to keep track of to make a gun go boom-boom, the better.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Originally Posted by Waders

Fastest reloads you could imagine.

No need to imagine, here. I've been the moon clip route. If and when they work as designed, I agree it's fast. Otherwise you're dealing with the slowest reload you can imagine!

If Crimson Tide says the Ruger works as advertised, I would accept that without question.

Wade

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Thanks friend. It is possible that I have been lucky with them, and as always, YMMV.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Shot a friend of mines a few weeks ago and it was excellent. Trigger pull is much better that Smith or Taurus. Accuracy was as good as any .38 snub.

I have a S&W 649-1 .38 Special that has been modified to use moon clipped .38 Super and 9mm. It is too bad that one of the companies doesn't come out with a snubbie in .38 Super as it would be THE round for a short barreled gun...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Waders - Have never had a revolver that used them i.e. S&W M1917 but have used 'speed loaders' for my 6in. GP100. Figure if I use the 9mm LCR for CCW would have to practice getting good with them. 6 of one 1/2 doz of another...Homesteader.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had the unfortunate the experience of repeatedly not being able to eject a moon clip full of spent shell cases. Time and time again the empty cases would be wedged tight and nearly impossible to eject from the cylinder. Some moon clips would work very well, but most not so much. If a moon clip ever got even slightly bent, it would not work well at all. A clip full of loaded shells with drop in easily but you would almost need a hammer to get them out.

But, if Ruger has a new and improved design, that would be excellent!

Wade

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Couldn't get the photo to come up, but you can click the link and see how they are different.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'll own one in 9mm one of these days. Moon clips make for a super fast reload!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
chlinstructor - Thanks for the info.
To all who responded to my question - appreciate all the input.
Tks. Homesteader

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I have one and realy like it! not had a proble with the moon clips, yet, like the trigger, its light an i carry mine, most of the time. a 38 super would be sweet!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Wow, $5 per moon clip. I would recommend buying a lifetime supply to anyone who buyts the gun.

I really don't like moon clips or speed loaders for carry guns because they don't hide well in jeans pockets. I much prefer speed strips for that application. Speed strips give a tactical reload or top off option that moon clips do not. I suppose that wouldn't matter for a "5 and done" gun such as a backup, but, otherwise, it would not work for me.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you want to see the LCR 9mm in action, Hickok45 did a review of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuE6ajPRkDI

At about 13:45 into it, he warns about moon clips bending and no longer functioning properly. In the video, all the moon clips worked perfectly.

He also comments a couple times about how much the 9mm recoils. He remarks how people might not expect much from a 9mm, but the recoil is significant!

Wade

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I like the idea but hate that I can't drop 1 in the chamber.

I've always been a pragmatic guy, and the less shiet I need to keep track of to make a gun go boom-boom, the better.

Only 9mm revolver I've used was a Taurus. The chambers were cut so that the case headspaces on the mouth, just like a pistol. You can drop one round in and fire it if you like. You just have to pick the empty out with your fingers or push it out with something.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
You don't have to use the moon clips in the LCR 9mm, but spent cases won't eject on their own, you'd have to use a pencil or such to push them out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (219 Wasp, 2500HD, 1lessdog, 1minute, 257robertsimp, 54 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,897
Posts18,518,402
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.