Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Since cheap 22lr isn't cheap any more, I just shoot the good schit all the time.

Still cheaper than shooting centerfire. Fugk cost. I gots to keep shooting.

Travis

Yup.

I think the good stuff is more consistent too; less variation between lots (I know match shooters might disagree here, but we're taking about sporters).

I'd rather pay $7-$10 for good SS HPs than $6 for mediocre (which you can't find anyway).

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I refused to pay Dicks $1- for a 100 pack of remington golden bullets last night... That stuff isnt worth it to me.
They had it behind the counter with no price on the shelf and I told the clerk I wouldn't pay that much for that stuff.

Of course I think my message will be wasted because hes a clerk and not a manager and someone will buy the stuff. You cant find any 22 ammo around the cities here.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Just came from the gunshow.. Saw some 17 hmr for 12.00 / 50..

The cheapest 22's I spotted were WW 225packs/20..

Love to hear folks pass on the Golden Remingtons.. I must have shot 1000 of them this summer and had one or two bad ones.. Nothing close to the trouble I have had with WW over the years..

During the earlier part of summer I suppose I picked up close to 1000 rds of various makes.. Gave some to friends and kids, got most of it because one of the local guys wanted some .22 ammo.. Told him about it, but he has never came around to pick it up so we will just shoot it away..

Molon Labe
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Just came from the gunshow.. Saw some 17 hmr for 12.00 / 50..

The cheapest 22's I spotted were WW 225packs/20..

Love to hear folks pass on the Golden Remingtons.. I must have shot 1000 of them this summer and had one or two bad ones.. Nothing close to the trouble I have had with WW over the years..

During the earlier part of summer I suppose I picked up close to 1000 rds of various makes.. Gave some to friends and kids, got most of it because one of the local guys wanted some .22 ammo.. Told him about it, but he has never came around to pick it up so we will just shoot it away..

It's the $.10 a round for them when I paid $.05 for Winchester and automatch earlier at the same store. I shot a lot of rem golden bullets in my past and save the boxes. They are not special enough for that price.

I would pay it for federal 712 though.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It's always interesting to hear about what brands suck, or what are great.

One experiment I ran about a year ago was with Remington Golden .22 Short hollow-points, because a local store got a bunch in and eventually ended up selling them cheap. Tried them in several rifles and of course they shot great in one or two, but not others, which isn't unusual with Shorts. FTF's were rare no matter what the rifle.

Have found less variation in Long Rifles, especially in non-semiauto rifles and handguns. Have yet to encounter many FTF's in any brand in non-semiautos, though there have been some failures to feed and extract depending on how well the firearm has been maintained.

Overall I've had pretty good luck with all sorts of .22 ammo.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Mule Deer, that has been pretty much my experience with ammo also.. But the only horrible ammo I have ever deal with was WW.. One was 333's.. I bought them in Az. when I was quail hunting and wanted some plinkers.. They leaded the barrel of my single six so bad at 10 yards I could not come close to a beer can.. The bore looked like there was no rifling left.. A wire brush and elbow grease took care of that.. Later I got another bad batch of WW ammo in a similar deal..
Over the years I have had excellent luck with most WW ammo.. I just picked up some 555 packs, but haven't shot it yet.. I also picked up some copper plated LR hollow points in 100 packs but haven't shot those either.. I guess a guy can get stung with bad ammo in any of the makers.. I have had some Fed. stuff that had quite a few duds, but was accurate enough for plinking.. So far CCI has never let me down..

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would rate most CCI products high on the list of moderately priced priced ammo, especially Mini Mags. Don't recall ever having a FTF with any CCI stuff?

Federal would likely fall in second place, with WW next, although most of my experiences over many years has been with Dynapoints and Wildcats. Back when Kmart still had 500 count bulk boxes of Dynapoints, went thru several boxes of them per year, year after year.

Have also fired thousands of rounds of Federal over the years. Anything from the Value Packs, to Auto Match, Champion and a few other varieties. Federal is a close second to WW in number of rounds fired.

Might've even snuck into the lead, since Dynapoints are all but unobtainable for the past several years?

Remington has long been at the bottom, for accuracy and reliability.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
dube, seems lots of folks have the same opinion you do of Rem. ammo..Maybe I have just been lucky all these years.

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had a brick or two of their Thunderbolts that weren't too bad. My bad experiences with their Golden Bullets goes back decades.

Stumbled onto a 225 pack of "New and improved" Golden Bullets at Wally's earlier this year. Did shoot some, not too bad so far, but I haven't done any real range work with them yet.

They aren't as sticky'n gooey as they used to be.

In the 70s and 80s mostly shot Mini Mags in everything, with some WW stuff thrown in when my son was old enough to shoot. He went thru dozens of bricks of Wildcats when a little feller, then Dynapoints when they were plentiful and inexpensive.

One year I got him a faux military plastic "ammo can" full of Mini Mags for Christmas, 500 count IIRC? Only time I'd ever seen a bulk pack of Mini Mags, never found any since. Probably around the mid 80s when he was 12 or so?

He figured he'd made the big time, since I seldom let him shoot Mini Mags back then.

grin

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Mini mags are far and away my favorite .22 ammo.. Picked up a couple cases before I retired.. Still have some.. But I do all my can, rock,catus shooting with cheap stuff... i did shoot those Dynapoints for years at gophers.. Now I often use stingers and yellowjackets, but I have about shot all of them away.. For this reason, I am glad Rems. do shoot well out of most of my guns.. It seems I am always running into bricks of them for sale at good prices..

Molon Labe
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Believe me, the managers have pretty much zip to say about what gets sent to their store. That decision is made by "smart people" at corporate. We used to get all kinds of crap that there was no market for and that never sold. We had tons of waterfowl crap out and I don't ever remember selling a single item of it.

Another trick they pulled was coming out to the store and making us put everything we had out on the floor, even to the point that the customers couldn't squeeze between the clothing racks and merchandise was falling off the display pins.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Drifting decimal. It was $.0895/rd. $8.95/100.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Drifting decimal. It was $.0895/rd. $8.95/100.

grinYep, I've had trouble with them rascals too.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
That's the price you're going to keep seeing it for 100rd paks of the better ammo.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
last Friday at academy around 1000 am
2.69 for 50rd box of blazer
had a case out at least
got 6 boxes over the course of the day more to follow on that below(surprisingly accurate)
7.49 for 100 rd box cci 40gr minimag(surprisingly accurate)
was at least half a case out at that time
24.99 for 525 box of thunderbolt (didn't buy any)
probably around 12 packs out
put out the word to slumlord
they also had federal ultra mathc at 19.99 a box stuff been their 2 months and rws rifle match at 8.99 a box been their awhile also

so the old fugger openers and their entourages had already been their at 0830 when they opened and got their fill

got in argument with dumb checkout clerk when I went back over with my daughter to get some more blazer or possibly some minimag around 5 pm
no minimag left no bulk packs left
bout 1000 blazer still out
slumlord got a 525 pack and his dad got 2 boxes minimag earlier when I called him up
I bought 2 blazer in the day and tried to get more , they had a case on the counter
fuggers wouldn't sell me anymore than 2 boxes
I said I will be back later when you all change out and chuckled at them

went back around 5 with the daughter
thinking shift change happened

them 3 dumb bishes was still their
one said I remember you sir

some dude working the checkout
so I say 4 boxes of blazer
2 for me and 2 for my daughter
he rings up mine

senior self declared ammo bish from the morning that rang the 1st up for me comes over and says sir you cant buy anymore .22 here today
it is against the law!!!!! according to her

I chuckled for a little bit my daughter rolls her eyes
(she knows the deal)

I said against the law or against your store policy
she says against the law
I say you better read that sign on the counter and get your thinking straight
the dude ringing me up says quietly to me
come on man please don't get her going

she says stop the purchase for me
the dude says to her I already rang him up and he paid

im chuckling right in front of her
my daughter says ring up my 2 now

the woman is flustered
cause I say to her
maam does it make any sense to you that your store policy says 1 bulk pack of 325 or more or 2 boxes of 100 or less for a individual purchase daily

she says it has to do with people being able to buy some and not one person buying a lot

I say
ok

say I buy 2 boxes of 50 of your federal ultra match for 19.99 a box which sits on the counter for 2 months at a time

shouldn't I be able to buy the same corresponding amount money wise of the cheaper 50-100 count boxes
or be able to buy the same amount of cheaper 50-100 count boxes of your least expensive bulk pack for sale at the current time

she was lost
I was being a dick
I said to her
maam I will be like all the old fuggers you see lined up at the door Tuesday Thursday and sunday mornings with all their friends and relatives buying for them also
and I can go call a bunch of people right now and have them here just to tick you off and stand right beside them and hand them money to buy their store policy limit of .22 just to tick you off

she just looked at me

defeated.......................

cause what I said about equal value purchase sunk in her I think

im going tomorrow morning to stand in line with all the old fuggers and their entourages and see what they got

and when the straw purchase game with them fuggers starts im gonna say like a little bytch not fair not fair

hahahahahaaaa!!!

fugging against the law to buy than 2.....................
bwahahahahaa!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So you were Mr. Toughguy to a lady @ Academy Sports over some cheap azz Blazers?? Proud night in TN??

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
And yet some people still insist the continuing shortage of "affordable" .22 rimfire isn't caused by high demand. Instead it has to be the factories not making as much as they used to, or some sort of government conspiracy.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My thought is that the shortage could only be caused by the largest wholesale buyers purchasing all the factory output and sitting on it to keep price up. I would love to see a list of who CCI ships how much to, I imagine Mallwart is at top of list. Maybe the Chinese don't want us practicing up for when they invade. At least I can still get plenty of tinfoil to line my hat.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Local shop had CCI Blazers for $1.99 a box with a 5 box limit.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Will probably start buying .22 rf ammo again when A) I need it, or B) it's cheaper than handloads in small capacity cartridges with cast bullets.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (406_SBC, 6mmbrfan, 358wsm, 10Glocks, 907brass, Akhutr, 11 invisible), 1,399 guests, and 849 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,928
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.