-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would mention how many deer we have killed with a .17 Remington and 25 grain HP bullets but some here might have a slobberin duck fit if I did. whistle

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Careful. I''ve noticed over the years, that some here can get aroused if it's reported that deer aren't being slain with at least a 300 Weatherby.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

55gr Hornady Spire Point has worked real well for me in both the 22/250, and .220 swift.

WOW
What a tank!!!!!

I haven't shot a deer with my 22-250's but a 55grn VMAX out of a 22-250 on a Javelina boar (@237 yard head shot) is definitive and lethal.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
While not a .22-250, years ago I shot a medium sized doe with my .220 Swift and a factory loaded 46 gr. open point.. She ran maybe 75 yards and crashed.. But there wasn't a good blood trail.. It was open so I could keep track of her that way.. Still that is NOT a load I would want to take if I were looking to kill a nice buck.. Does were thick, and I waited for an easy shot.

You bring up an important point. In open country a 70 yard death dash isn't a huge deal. Here in the impenetrably thick southern woods a long death dash in fading light can mean a lost deer.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 08/06/15.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
[Linked Image]

55gr Hornady Spire Point has worked real well for me in both the 22/250, and .220 swift.

Thanks for posting that, Pat. I've been wondering about that bullet. I plan to try it on some hogs and deer. Beautiful buck, by the way.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have an experience of one with a 22-250 and deer and that was my daughter's first deer with a 64 Bonded Solid Base, which in our instance broke the shoulder joint, took out several inches of scapula, penetrated the length of the deer, broke a bone in the opposite rear leg and left about a 1" exit hole. If it always performs like that, I would be willing to try it on an elk if legal.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Just saw where shooters pro shop has an over run of those 64 gr bonded..... whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Back in high school and college I killed a number of deer and especially antelope with el cheapo wally world special 55 grain soft point .22-250 loads.

I'm an armpit shooter, not a shoulder breaker, but never had an instance where the critter took more than a few steps or at most a short death run before falling over dead.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
In the never-ending debate about the suitability of centerfire .22s for deer, the opposing team never takes into account that we know the limitations, and are very picky about shot placement. The armpit+ .22-250= Quick Death.

The big mag crowd worries about bad angle shots, texas heart shots etc. You just don't take them with a little gun, and shouldn't with a big gun.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by TATELAW
I didn't mean to start any arguments about the 55 BT. I was just curious because that particular bullet doesn't get mentioned very often as suitable for medium game. I think I've read a few posts over the years from people who have killed deer with them, but not nearly as many as the Hornady SP and the various Barnes bullets.

I just happen to have a bunch of them on hand, and there's not much in the way of varmints around here. No prairie dog towns and such. I have had fantastic results accuracy-wise with other caliber BTs, and I figure it would be the same with these. I was just wondering if they would be a viable deer bullet if I found a good accurate load.

The rule regarding Ringman is to take whatever he says, do the opposite, and you will likely be right.

Case in point: My uncle has used the 55 grain Ballistic Tip in the 22-250 for years, killing plenty of deer and antelope. The bullet worked fine.

Agreed....it works fine. I've even killed a few bull elk with it.

Shrap, where did you stick them wit a 55 BT, if i may ask?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B3

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by ingwe
[Linked Image]

Your list of kills prompted me to get away from super premium bullets for once and shoot a deer with a 55 gr. Horn.
.223AI 100 yds. Performance was flawless...little hole going in, nickel hole coming out, deer was DRT.

Oh...and I watched my pard kill a bull elk with that bullet out of a 223....placement under the chin, in the throat didn't hurt.... wink Another DRT

Warning: Hornady bullet results may (will) not be extrapilated (comprable) to Federal or Remington (especially rem 50 gr hp's) though Fed Nosler Partitions are equal to Hornaday 60 gr Interlocks in big chitt lethality.*

* However, rem 50 gr HPs are equal in lethality if placed between the eyes of most any BGA.

Last edited by eyeball; 08/08/15.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by TATELAW
I didn't mean to start any arguments about the 55 BT. I was just curious because that particular bullet doesn't get mentioned very often as suitable for medium game. I think I've read a few posts over the years from people who have killed deer with them, but not nearly as many as the Hornady SP and the various Barnes bullets.

I just happen to have a bunch of them on hand, and there's not much in the way of varmints around here. No prairie dog towns and such. I have had fantastic results accuracy-wise with other caliber BTs, and I figure it would be the same with these. I was just wondering if they would be a viable deer bullet if I found a good accurate load.

The rule regarding Ringman is to take whatever he says, do the opposite, and you will likely be right.

Case in point: My uncle has used the 55 grain Ballistic Tip in the 22-250 for years, killing plenty of deer and antelope. The bullet worked fine.

B S, re doing the opposite of what RM says.

Head and neck shots are fine with respect to the BT in mind. Shoulder on a big muley, not necessarily a go.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
bsa,

As far as I know, Hornady has only made one Interlock .22 caliber bullet, the 70-grain .228" supposedly for the .22 Savage High Power. ("Supposedly" because there's a little more to the story.)

But even before Hornady started putting the Interlock ring inside some of their bullets, their Spire Points had a reputation of holding up better than other cup-and-core bullets. This was because Hornady used a little harder lead alloy for the cores than most other bullet companies did. Or at least that's what I was told some years ago by somebody who should have known, and what I found both in shooting big game and, more recently, hardness-testing the cores of quite a few jacketed bullets.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/83...60-grain-interlock-spire-point-box-of-20

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Fireball2
You guys figure it out yet? the 22-250 is a deer killing machine with anything you shove in it.

One year a certain un-named someone filled all the deer tags in the party with a .222 and 52 grain HP target bullets. All one shot broadside DRT. It's not rocket science.

Sorry, but i saw a booner muley lost to a rem 50 hp to the ribs buy a grizzled old west Texas rancher who shot it off a dead solid rest broadside at 75 yards. The 36 in wide, tall, symetrical 5x5 humped up and nearly fell before recovering to get into the brush. Minimal blood and a dirt sky norther blowing in the next am and we never found him, even with a proven deer trailing/getting gsp.

Im figuring the bullet was stopped by a rib.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
One of the strong advocates of the .22 cal. on deer once admitted thinking about this very thing.. Doubt he remembers, but the poor blood trail issue was the crux of the issue.. think this would have happened with a .270??
.22's are deadly, but as an old W. VA. mountaineer once told me with the . 22 centerfires, you loose one every so often.. This guy had not shot dozens of deer, or hundreds, but probably thousands..When he spoke, I listened..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by eyeball
Originally Posted by Fireball2
You guys figure it out yet? the 22-250 is a deer killing machine with anything you shove in it.

One year a certain un-named someone filled all the deer tags in the party with a .222 and 52 grain HP target bullets. All one shot broadside DRT. It's not rocket science.

Sorry, but i saw a booner muley lost to a rem 50 hp to the ribs buy a grizzled old west Texas rancher who shot it off a dead solid rest broadside at 75 yards. The 36 in wide, tall, symetrical 5x5 humped up and nearly fell before recovering to get into the brush. Minimal blood and a dirt sky norther blowing in the next am and we never found him, even with a proven deer trailing/getting gsp.

Im figuring the bullet was stopped by a rib.

I wasn't there and you obviously were, but I have a hard time believing the bullet was at fault, if that played out the way you say. If he humped up, you sure he didn't get gut shot?

I killed a 250 pound (ish) mule two years ago with my 204 ruger with roughly the same shot presentation. Solid broadside lung hit. He ran about 50 yards before piling up with lung blood coming out his mouth. That was WAY further than I had seen any .22-250 deer shot tight behind the shoulder go.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Me and my buddy has killed lots of deer here in PA we red tag hunt farms and we use 60sp 60gr hp and 55gr bthp gameking but head and neckshots are the norm.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

For some reason, this picture shows up just about everywhere, and sometimes with a story I've never even heard myself, so I'll post it here again with a few details of what really happened...

I killed this 217 3/8", 7X6(195 2/8" final)in the great state of Idaho back in 1991. There is only so much to be said for "Lady Luck", and this buck was no exception. I was actually drawing down on another really good buck that was 30" wide, heavy, with deep forks, and probably in the 185" range, when this buck stepped out of the cover, at 125 yards. I saw them both in my 8X Leupold at the same time. The rut was on, and they were competing for the same doe. From a sitting position, with sling wrapped, I slipped the safety off, put the dot on his right front shoulder, and fired, without having time to think too much. When the bullet struck, he dropped, rolled twice and lodged himself on a small fir tree. Thank god for that little tree, or who knows if would have ever stopped rolling. I used my .220 swift. My load was the 55gr Hornady spire point, loaded to 3800fps. His right shoulder was broke, and the bullet was recovered under the hide on the other side, a perfect little mushroom, with no jacket separation. I still have it.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
cool cool

But you need to check in more often Pat, there is usually a few experts that will tell you the .22 center fires might be OK for deer....but not BIG deer....... grin

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Ive killed close to hundred give or take with a 53 sierra.
22-250 and 22 cheetah. No giant mule deer. 90 to 150lb whitetail on depredation tags. Never had a problem

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (12344mag, 219DW, 160user, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 2,376 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,273
Posts18,486,635
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.