Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
+1 to hammer

I'm a firm believer in the theory of " If it bleeds, I can kill it".
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If big 7's and 30's are what you think it takes for a DRT on deer then you're too stupid to figure out that a 22-250 and 75 A max is a great deer load. And that's a fugging fact.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Hammer2506
I personally would not consider anything from a 22 caliber a big game load. Not sayin you can't kill with it but I just don't like looking for game after I shoot it. I like the DRT shots from the big 7's and 30's. This post would fit better in the varmint rifle forum.

And yours would fit better on the campfire forum. How many times does this need to be hashed out on here? The OP didn't come on asking about viability of a certain cartridge/bullet combo. He asked for specific load data. The effectiveness of centerfire .224 rounds with the proper bullets and placement has been proven in word and picture literally hundreds of times on here. If you want to hunt deer with a 375 for that extra measure of "insurance" have at it, it's certainly your prerogative. But you don't need a .30 or 7mm to get a fast kill on phoucing deer.

MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I find it amusing how kids kill WT's DRT with .223's, but adults need "real" BG rifles to kill a 120# WT doe.

BTW, just got back from an all morning range session. My 8 twist .22-250 Mohawk/Shilen shot 80 gr. Amax's into very small groups, even smaller than 75 gr. Amax's. It didn't do as well with TSX's.

At least I now have some direction regarding load development.

DF

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Higbean
If big 7's and 30's are what you think it takes for a DRT on deer then you're too stupid to figure out that a 22-250 and 75 A max is a great deer load. And that's a fugging fact.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAAHHAHAHAH, your such a comedian, I was just stating my opinion you dumbass farmer, just like the OP. Your too stupid to figure out that 22 calibers were developed for varmints, but try and make it a big game rifle, get you a damn man's rifle boy and grow up u puzze. Oh yea I almost forgot to GFY!!!

Last edited by Hammer2506; 08/08/15.

Fück Joe byron
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
I personally would not consider anything from a 22 caliber a big game load. Not sayin you can't kill with it but I just don't like looking for game after I shoot it. I like the DRT shots from the big 7's and 30's. This post would fit better in the varmint rifle forum.

And yours would fit better on the campfire forum. How many times does this need to be hashed out on here? The OP didn't come on asking about viability of a certain cartridge/bullet combo. He asked for specific load data. The effectiveness of centerfire .224 rounds with the proper bullets and placement has been proven in word and picture literally hundreds of times on here. If you want to hunt deer with a 375 for that extra measure of "insurance" have at it, it's certainly your prerogative. But you don't need a .30 or 7mm to get a fast kill on phoucing deer.

Not going to waste my time on you.

Fück Joe byron
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Not going to waste my time on you.

You just did stud.

MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Anyone saying a .224 bullet of good design at a decent velocity won't kill a WT or similar size critter just hasn't been there, done that. End of story.

Below are photos of the Mohawk with CM 22" #2 Shilen 8 twist .22-250 tube. I glassed and free floated it. I kept the same stock and plastic bottom "metal", replaced the factory trigger with a Timney. I Dyna Bore Coated the barrel, took it to the range and shot it. That's how I "break in" a new barrel. Back at the shop, there was some copper fouling that went away, Hawkeye clean, with 3 soaking applications of Patch Out.

Best load was 80 gr. Amax ahead of 34 gr. 760. I didn't set up the chrono, was just wanting to get an idea what would shoot. This combo shot three into .407". I know, three shots. But, I was just doing a survey, looking for direction on future load development. Best 75gr. Amax loads were 35 gr. Big Game (.625"), 38.1 gr. Superperformance (.576"), 33 gr. RL-15 (.657"). These are running around 3,200 fps, based on published data. Superperformance reportedly will crank a 75 gr. slug to 3,400 fps. I kept these loads at around 3.2K for comparison. The 80 gr. load is reportedly 3K fps.

This gun doesn't seem to like TSX's.

I mounted a VX-3 1.5-6x32 with CDS. These scopes don't come with CDS, I had sent it back. Cranked to the Fire magic 6X, it did very well at a hundred. At low power, it's a great offhand gun.

These groups were shot off the tailgait of a Z-71. No telling how good this gun would shoot off the aluminum tailgate of a new F-150... laugh

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Am putting together an 8 twist .22-250. I would like load suggestions for 75 Amax/75 SSII.

This isn't a LR gun, just a packing hog and varmint gun. It's a Mohawk with a 22" Shilen CM #2.

DF

For a 'not' long range walking and shooting rifle I'd look to the 70 gr TSX and IMR 7828 ssc, "working up" to around 45 grs should give you an accurate 3550 fps.

Aught to be a descent little killing missile for deer and pigs too.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
So far, it loves Amax, especially 80's. The Barnes I've tried (55 and 62 gr.) were a bust. I had some 70 TSX's, but sold them as I had no use for them at the time. Probably should have kept them.

Thanks, gunner.

DF

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The 80 Berger is a real accurate bullet too DF. Killed quite a few things with it too.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Gruff's fast twist 22-250 is a Mohawk as well. Good shooting rifle.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Just another city bitch.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by GregW
The 80 Berger is a real accurate bullet too DF. Killed quite a few things with it too.

It shot 75 VLD Hunting very well, haven't tried 80 VLD's. The 75 VLD's just didn't keep up with 80 and 75 Amax's, and in that order.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 08/09/15.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Although not set up per se as a LR rifle, a .22-250 shooting 80 Amax's, half MOA, may benefit from the CDS for that occasional shot at 400 yds+. You never know; it's nice to be prepared.

Where I hunt, sometimes a porcine target of opportunity presents at a distance. Driving to the camp requires several miles on a levee road with borrow pits on the river side and large fields on the protected side. A truck gun that can be cranked to long yardage may make life tedious for such an interloper... shocked

All the landowners along the way are more than happy to have that service performed.

This is a walking around, light rifle that can be pressed into LR service at a moments notice. That's my current thinking on this subject. I say "current thinking" because that's the Loony position on most any firearm project... whistle

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 08/09/15.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
DF, I set mine up originally in 22-250ai with a 1-8 as an experiment to see if the fast twist .22s were all they were cracked up to be. It proved to be that they are, and more. With that ai barrel I had on it I had more than one first round prairie dog hit at 600, and plenty of pdogs past that, and lots of gophers and such in between. This with a #3 Douglas. I got tired of the ai brass getting stuck in the bolt raceway and so when accuracy started tapering off I rebarreled to vanilla 22-250 same twist and I'm getting the same speeds. I honestly did not expect that level of accuracy from a this rifle when I put it together, but I damn sure didn't mind it. I'd never shot any kind of LR before, and the $200 Burris i had on there left me nothing to complain about. Wish I'd have bought a couple more of them when they went on sale.

Clarke's shoots pretty damn good too, but it's not cool enough to have a dog leg bolt handle.

MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Clarke's shoots pretty damn good too, but it's not cool enough to have a dog leg bolt handle.

Yep.

Takes a real man to be seen with a bolt handle like that... cool

DF

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Sweet. Another Ex-spurt.....made all the better, and more difficult by never having shot big game with a centerfire .22

Amazing!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yep, DRT reportedly requires a big 7 or 30... shocked

What about DRT's with a small 7 or 30?

What about DRT's with a .243 or a .257R?

Guess I gotta unload the newly finished Roberts and this .22-250.

Wish I'd have known that before going to all the trouble, putting these two guns together... cry

DF

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

184 members (280shooter, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,639 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,335
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.