Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
It won't be long before all the fast food joints are totally automated. Maybe one or two employees to clean up and fill the hoppers. If you think the food is bad now, wait until that happens.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap
saw this on the OAN News Channel this morning. McDonalds cited rising labor cost as the reason for the kiosks.

http://www.neowin.net/news/mcdonalds-orders-7000-touchscreen-kiosks-to-replace-cashiers

i am sure that surprised a lot of people, whistle

ked

McDonalds will do anything to keep from opening a second register.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I will sometimes eat there as a last resort. Might be fun to see if one can test the system with an angle the programmers did not think of.

I still like using cash, however. Stopped at a Costco recently that pumps gas, and they would not accept cash. I see a day coming where I'll have pack a smart phone just to get bubble gum from a nickel machine. There goes another $100 a month, I'll be totally trackable, and actually paying for the privilege.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/09/15.

1Minute
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by 1minute
I will sometimes eat there as a last resort. Might be fun to see if one can test the system with an angle the programmers did not think of.

Like a glitch in the custom burger screen that allows you to order 22 extra patties and only pay for 2.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 1minute

I still like using cash, however. Stopped at a Costco recently that pumps gas, and they would not accept cash.
Why? (serious question)

I see a day coming where I'll have pack a smart phone just to get bubble gum from a nickel machine. There goes another $100 a month, I'll be totally trackable, and actually paying for the privilege.
When 'that day' comes, I'll starve to death.. I simply reFUSE to obtain any such 'smart' phone..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

D
D
Lets go back to about 1970 one of the major airlines began hauling their ticket receipts to some south American country to have them key punched at a much lower labor rate then here. Then we got automated tellers in grocery stores,atm's and now this. Henry Ford came to the conclusion that he could sell more cars if his employees made a wage where they could afford one. These young smart guys who run things are not thinking about the whole picture rather their next bonus. Our economy goes to hell and we wonder why. How many hamburgers, airline ticket and such will be purchased by this kind of smarts? kotzy

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Paul39
Can't be any worse than the bean-counter developed integrated systems where the cashier wastes the customer's time going tap-tap-tap on a terminal, so that the company's inventory and accounting don't need other employees to work on them.

Then there are the cashiers and (mostly female) customers who consider the checkout process a time to socialize. The other day I waited while a cashier told the customer all about her eye surgery.

Paul

Am extremely thankful that I live in a fairly small rural community, and more so that I dont' live in town.

But its sure nice that cashiers and customers know each other and chat about family, weather, what they are doing on the weekend etc....

Sure is friendlier than the hurry up, I don't know you and don't care who you are in the city stuff I run into when forced to go to the city.

Just a different view I suppose.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
smart phones sure make life easier.

RE cash, I"m with you, there is no advantage to it that I can see.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rost495

I couldn't possibly disagree more.. But that's just me.. smile smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

RE cash, I"m with you, there is no advantage to it that I can see.

There is EVERY advantage to cash.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
No cash advantage that I find here. Don't have to carry large amounts, put it on a card. Don't have to go get a bank check or money order etc.. put it on a card.

Pay the card monthly, don't recall that in our 50 years on the planet so far that I"ve ever paid interest on a card.

Can order on line for whatever I need no cash.

The only flaw I find, some places have a surcharge for card use, on line ordering, generally dealers, but that outweighs the other issues then.

I assume some trades still take only cash.

It certainly won't do you any more good than plastic, if the .gov decides to do something stupid.

As to smart phones, were else can I get stumped, under a vehicle replacing a part or such, reach in my pocket and bingo, watch a youtube and keep going.
Where else can I type in an address on teh way to the fire station or an EMS call in a hurry, and have it on my map so I know where to go without having to fight a map book full of addressess that may not even be current.

Where else can I send a picture of what I need CArolyn to grab at the store, or send her a picture, is this the correct X that you want me to get.

Or have a text come in, pickup another chain saw chain for me before you come home, or new lawnmower blades etc..

AND the fact I can read/look when I have time, not have to answer the phone and drop whatever I happen to be doing at that moment in time.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Apparently you've never had a fraud issue and had to shut down a card. Try that crap when your 3000 miles from the house.

Cash is king.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Apparently you've never had a fraud issue and had to shut down a card. Try that crap when your 3000 miles from the house.

Cash is king.
I couldn't agree more...

BTDT...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use mainly cards. It's easy enough to get one overnighted nearly anywhere if lost or stolen.

That said, I always travel with a small amount of cash. Enough for a few meals and a hotel room for a night or two.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Am extremely thankful that I live in a fairly small rural community, and more so that I dont' live in town.

But its sure nice that cashiers and customers know each other and chat about family, weather, what they are doing on the weekend etc....

Sure is friendlier than the hurry up, I don't know you and don't care who you are in the city stuff I run into when forced to go to the city.

Just a different view I suppose.

That's it, different strokes and all that.

I've lived in small towns and big cities and prefer small to medium cities, and that's the size place I live now and will probably spend the rest of my years.

In many cities it is considered rude to waste other people's time, and they aren't shy about sounding off about it. It's about the only thing I agree with about city life. Chat all you want if nobody else is affected, but not when I'm behind you in line.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've had communications shut down to the island I was living on. No credit cards/debit etc worked for almost a week. Cash worked.

Been around a few hurricanes when it didn't work for awhile. Seen lots of stuff I 'wanted', that I could get with a card, so long as I paid an extra 3%

I always travel with a wad of cash.

Then there was the woman that told me in the CASH ONLY LINE at the grocery store that a check was the same as cash. I told her to tell that to a hooker.

If you're STUCK someplace, you can always get someone to do something for CASH. Billy Bob, typically doesn't have a card reader in his Power Wagon.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Yep. And after you are the victim of identity theft a few times those debit cards suck more and more.

Not to mention those transactions where you never want a paper trail pointing back at you.

Never been anywhere that cash doesn't work and it's kinda hard to skim the numbers off it.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Yep.

When I hit the road I don't feel right if I don't have a "problem solving" cash wad on hand.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I don't bag my own groceries and I don't check myself out. I also don't use the kiosks at the airport but I do understand the company's motivation for implementing them.

Debit cards and checks are for chicks. And you won't get far in a lot of places in Montana if all you have are checks and plastic. You'd pretty much be fugked.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Small town here:
I can stop in the middle of main street to talk with someone in the opposing lane, and everyone that passes to the outside will wave with all of their fingers.

"Smart" stuff is wonderful. It's just not worth $100 a month to me yet.

1Minute
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

221 members (17CalFan, 673, 7mm_Loco, 204guy, 30 invisible), 3,152 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,778
Posts18,535,992
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.