Print Thread
Hop To
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I was perusing the interwebs this morning considering 6.8 bullets to fire at deer this year and ran across this on Midsouth. As Barnes now makes frangible, green, bullets these days and there appears to be no reference to them on the Barnes website I wondered if someone here might know if they were designed for hunting (etc.) or for prairie dogs, or targets. Plan would be to shoot a 100-170 pound 4 legged animal with one at 0-250 yards.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...meter-85-Grain-TAC-XR-Flat-Base-50-Count

GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
TAC- XR is just a different name for TSX.

They will work as well as any Barnes for your application.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
cool, the local GS has a bunch of 6.8's labeled MPG, so wanted to be sure....just ordered 100 of them to shoot 2 small deer I am sure.

In my opinion, Barnes needs to clean up their labeling convention or publish a complete easy to find scorecard on line. I did not see these bullets on their website, may be there but not in the two places I looked.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I run these 110grn boat-tailed Barnes Triple-Shoks in my 6.8mm AR:
MidWay USA

They make one hole 5-shot groups @ 100yds outta my CMMG 1/10 twist 6.8mm SPC and have worked well on the deer for me, but then 250 yards is abit reaching for the 6.8mm, especially given the lighter weight bullet and lack of the boat-tail of the ones above.

Here's a 5 shot mikey-mouse group shot years ago at 100 yards, immediately after tossing the A2 FS off the CMMG and replacing it with a 30 cal Vortex FS - I was impressed as the rifle couldn't hold 3" 5-shot groups before this change was made and I was not happy. These are SSA 115grn SMK factory rounds shown here and rifle does just as well with my reload Triple-Shoks:
[Linked Image]

note: pic is somewhat worn and moldy from sweat from toting it around for years in my stetson....

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
To be clear- MPG are not TSX's.

IC B2

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
you mean vortex flash hider? What powder/load for the group?

Last edited by jimmyp; 08/09/15.
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
yes I am clear on TAC XR vs MPG.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DwnRange
I run these 110grn boat-tailed Barnes Triple-Shoks in my 6.8mm AR:
MidWay USA

They make one hole 5-shot groups @ 100yds outta my CMMG 1/10 twist 6.8mm SPC and have worked well on the deer for me, but then 250 yards is abit reaching for the 6.8mm, especially given the lighter weight bullet and lack of the boat-tail of the ones above.

Here's a 5 shot mikey-mouse group shot years ago at 100 yards, immediately after tossing the A2 FS off the CMMG and replacing it with a 30 cal Vortex FS - I was impressed as the rifle couldn't hold 3" 5-shot groups before this change was made and I was not happy. These are SSA 115grn SMK factory rounds shown here and rifle does just as well with my reload Triple-Shoks:
[Linked Image]

note: pic is somewhat worn and moldy from sweat from toting it around for years in my stetson....

With shooting like that, you need to check out this thread:

24 hr cf black rifle challenge

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by jimmyp
you mean vortex flash hider? What powder/load for the group?

Yes, when purchased my CMMG 6.8mm SPC upper came w/ an A2 flash-suppressor installed and I was aghast at the 3" plus 100 yard groups it shot with several varieties of 6.8mm rounds. SSA 115grn SMKs shot the best, Remington 6.8 rounds shot all over the target. As an owner of other CMMG uppers I was upset, but before calling them I replaced the A2 with a Smith Ent. Vortex (30cal) and the pic above was the very next 5 rounds I fire thru the rifle. PLEASE note above - these were factory SSA 115grn SMKS.

I had bought several SSA/Remy factory made hunting rounds, (Gamekings, Rem HPs, TSX, to test, one being the factory SSA 110grn TSX, and while they shot 1.5 MOA, I wanted better once I knew the rifle would shoot sub-MOA.

My hunting load for this upper shoots similar to the SMKs and it is:
Barnes 6.8mm 110grn Triple-Shok bullet (link above)
29 grains of Accurate Arms 2460 powder
in SSA 6.8mm brass (my chamber/once fire)
Remington 7.5 BR primer
OAL - 2.255"

Here's my rifle, BTW:
[Linked Image]

Last edited by DwnRange; 08/10/15. Reason: added pic
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

800 yard range here off the back porch, but "benchrested" shooting is not allowed and 20 rounds is a waste of ammo.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

PS - do own a few "BLACK" rifles though....
CR6724
[Linked Image]

Les Baer Utimate Sniper
[Linked Image]

Last edited by DwnRange; 08/10/15. Reason: added PS
IC B3

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I always looked for an excuse to shoot and never figured 20 rounds would break me... nor would 200!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Excuses excuses.........they are much easier to shoot than bullets. wink

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
yep, $25 dollars is not the end of the world for many.

Me I am going into hunting mode, I am loading TSX bullets, zeroing scopes, got to get my scope back on the muzzle loader. I will still shoot but mostly to check zero from September until January 10th...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

800 yard range here off the back porch, but "benchrested" shooting is not allowed and 20 rounds is a waste of ammo.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

PS - do own a few "BLACK" rifles though....
CR6724
[Linked Image]

Les Baer Utimate Sniper
[Linked Image]

Shoot the sombeeshes in the match and let us see how they shoot...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

NRA sanctioned "F" class at Golden Triangle Gun Club in Beaumont,Tx is match shooting, NRA HP shooting with Bayou Rifles Gun Club south of Houston is match shooting - your thread challenge is not - anyone can pick an early morning, cool temps and no wind to give them something to brag about, that ain't shooting in a match.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Ya, that's what we all did, waited till conditions were just right...

Jeez, I thought it was fun whether you call it a match or a challenge but if'n you don't want to we understand. wink

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

NRA sanctioned "F" class at Golden Triangle Gun Club in Beaumont,Tx is match shooting, NRA HP shooting with Bayou Rifles Gun Club south of Houston is match shooting - your thread challenge is not - anyone can pick an early morning, cool temps and no wind to give them something to brag about, that ain't shooting in a match.

Well you can just shoot period. LOL. pictures of guns are great. Not sure how that ties to TAC XR really, but pictures of groups go in the other thread!

If 20 is a waste, then I've wasted a large part of our lives, the wife and I... 22 shots per each stage generally.... Loved shooting Triangle and Bayou and Greenwood for many years. But nothing compared to Bullis, never did shoot a 200 at Bullis on the long line, never saw one shot, never heard of one shot. Bullis had something to teach every match.
Deadwood OTOH was awful easy.

Used to be scared of 20... figured no way I could shoot 20 without screwing up. Still can't, and likely never will, but figured out how to do fair... as my goofy iron sight groups show, and those were rusty cruddy groups shot one afternoon in a few minutes in a hurry in conditions, though my personal range at home is somewhat wind protected from the south side out to 400, 400 to 900 is not wind protected.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J

frankly I would like to hear more about your shooting in these matches, did you place, win any?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Oh yeah, if anyone can pick the morning, then get out and do it. Words dont' mean much...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,929 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,831
Posts18,517,019
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.