Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
So I have been doing some reading, and they describe the water as high in arsenic and lead. The contaminated water was stored in an old abandon mine until the EPA stooges released it.

My question is what created that orange poisonous water? Is it natural or something the mining process created?

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Without many details on the mining operation, it was probably a combination of both...

Mine moved rock to a waste pile and left it open to the environment...oxygen and water can do amazing things subsequent to that...

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Then throw in ions in an acidic solution mixing with a stream/river and the water chemistry can really yield some interesting results.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Barkoff
So I have been doing some reading, and they describe the water as high in arsenic and lead. The contaminated water was stored in an old abandon mine until the EPA stooges released it.

My question is what created that orange poisonous water? Is it natural or something the mining process created?

Iron Oxide and lead.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy

Iron Oxide and lead.

Most likely won't be pure lead...some complex of it.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Mine run-off is never a good thing. When I was a kid, the Ompompanoosuc River in Vermont was dead due to the run-off from an abandoned copper mine. The Animus River northeast of Silverton was already dead because of mine run-off, but the Animus south of Silverton was beautiful fly fishing water. I wonder how long it will take for it to recover?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When underground water runs through a mine, it picks up traces of the minerals that are buried there, explains Colorado Public Radio station KUNC. When it mixes with mineral pyrite, it reacts with air to form sulfuric acid and dissolved iron. It also picks up other heavy metals, like copper and lead, as well as any of the chemicals that miners have been using to extract the resources. By the time it trickles out of the mountain and into nearby waterways, it’s an acidic, often-toxic brew.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The downside to gold...

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Iron Oxide and lead.

What creates the iron oxide, lead and arsenic above normal levels?

Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
When underground water runs through a mine, it picks up traces of the minerals that are buried there, explains Colorado Public Radio station KUNC. When it mixes with mineral pyrite, it reacts with air to form sulfuric acid and dissolved iron. It also picks up other heavy metals, like copper and lead, as well as any of the chemicals that miners have been using to extract the resources. By the time it trickles out of the mountain and into nearby waterways, it’s an acidic, often-toxic brew.

Thanks.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The EPA caused this mess, even if accidental. If a private company had done this they would be fined millions of $$$ at best, or completely shut down at worst. What will be the EPA punishment be?

Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by B_n_C_Buck
The EPA caused this mess, even if accidental. If a private company had done this they would be fined millions of $$$ at best, or completely shut down at worst. What will be the EPA punishment be?

Nuttin.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by B_n_C_Buck

Nuttin.

yup! nuttin , at all!

ked

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Iron Oxide and lead.

Why don't you quit bothering John, and go read the EXCELLENT material he put up days ago.

To BUSY ?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

A real student of ground waters and chemistry here.

Meygan Kelley might be a better source of information, digestable at your level.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
This may help ya understand, as this is an old problem in Colorado:

Washington Post

I actually worked this area surveying core holes drilled looking for gold back in the 80s and ate lunch in Silverton every day for months. They intended to truck/cart away whole mountains if gold was found during the drilling and I panned and spelunked in creeks and mines between Lake City and Silverton every chance I got...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't you know the EPA has already said that there has been no damage to the wildlife!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DwnRange
This may help ya understand, as this is an old problem in Colorado:

Washington Post

I actually worked this area surveying core holes drilled looking for gold back in the 80s and ate lunch in Silverton every day for months. They intended to truck/cart away whole mountains if gold was found during the drilling and I panned and spelunked in creeks and mines between Lake City and Silverton every chance I got...

It's an old problem, but common sense says you don't mess around with heavy equipment around a mine plug holding back millions of gallons of toxic waste without a containment plan. Seriously. With every rainfall, more waste gets flushed out of the mine and they've done nothing to plug it back up.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The EPA should do the "honorable" thing and fine themselves out of existence (that is what they would do to a private entity, right?). But Barry would just change the letters and create a new, equally idiotic, agency to manage/protect the environment, then transfer the existing so-called leaders and staff to the "new, improved" agency . . . In other words, nothing will/would change.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

you don't mess around with heavy equipment around a mine plug holding back millions of gallons of toxic waste without a containment plan.

Indeed,....and the photo that's circulating shows a half azzed bulkhead style cofferdam / abutment built of rotten timber collapsed.

My guess ....?

They've been dumping fill into that thing from ABOVE forever
(gotta' keep that yellow boy outta' sight, ya' know)
When the damned thing collapsed, the aggregate / bentonite plug was hydraulically fired out.

Does anybody reading this thread SERIOUSLY believe that there was any skilled or well trained supervision on site when this took place ?

GTC

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (160user, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 2,778 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,830
Posts18,516,955
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.