Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

For some reason, this picture shows up just about everywhere, and sometimes with a story I've never even heard myself

When I killed a Montana wolf in 2009, I purposely didn't advertise many pictures of myself with the wolf due to all the controversy and wackos vandalizing successful hunter's rigs and such. I put a pic of just the wolf up on the braggin` board at Missoula's Sportsman's Whorehouses. A few days later it disappeared. A friend told me a couple weeks later some random dude at the bar in Lolo was telling folks he killed it.

Pretty funny, and sad how stories get twisted and turned around.

Great buck by the way...

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

For some reason, this picture shows up just about everywhere, and sometimes with a story I've never even heard myself, so I'll post it here again with a few details of what really happened...

I killed this 217 3/8", 7X6(195 2/8" final)in the great state of Idaho back in 1991. There is only so much to be said for "Lady Luck", and this buck was no exception. I was actually drawing down on another really good buck that was 30" wide, heavy, with deep forks, and probably in the 185" range, when this buck stepped out of the cover, at 125 yards. I saw them both in my 8X Leupold at the same time. The rut was on, and they were competing for the same doe. From a sitting position, with sling wrapped, I slipped the safety off, put the dot on his right front shoulder, and fired, without having time to think too much. When the bullet struck, he dropped, rolled twice and lodged himself on a small fir tree. Thank god for that little tree, or who knows if would have ever stopped rolling. I used my .220 swift. My load was the 55gr Hornady spire point, loaded to 3800fps. His right shoulder was broke, and the bullet was recovered under the hide on the other side, a perfect little mushroom, with no jacket separation. I still have it.
IMO, one of the best field pics ever! Well done on the pic and buck!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
anyone ever notice how the Montana guys have NO problem making stuff work, that too many folks elsewhere claims won't work?

Guess they don't read all the anti hype, and just go out and get it done...

by the way Pat, nice job as always...

and very nice pics per usual...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
eyeball,

The 60-grain "Interlock" Hornady Custom ammo you posted a link to might a misprint of some sort, perhaps on Midway's part, as Hornady's website doesn't list either a 60-grain .224 Interlock bullet or .22-50 Custom ammo loaded with such a bullet.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Seafire
anyone ever notice how the Montana guys have NO problem making stuff work, that too many folks elsewhere claims won't work?

There must be some kind of a correlation there......

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe

Kinda like how hard boxes are to open in Oregon... laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Taken in November, 2009 with my Swift. 52gr SMK. This buck is the last big game animal I've killed with that old rifle. Seems like anymore, I'm always trying something new...I'll bet the old Sako would still work though.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Well, once you told me all about the 55 grain Horns, I had to go out and try one on some test media....

[Linked Image]

Performance was absolutely perfect. Deer was DRT....

made me question why I use anything else, but I figured out why that was.......cause I'm always trying something new..... wink

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Hell I had to kill one with a tire tool once, but it ain't my weapon of choice......

I'm sure there are much more experienced hunters here than me, but we've killed more than our share of BG. My son and nephew killed many deer with .223's when they were young. Everything needs to be "right" IMO, to use .22 on big game. Too much can go wrong.

Flame away.....I've got more ass than any of you have teeth. smile

Last edited by JGRaider; 08/11/15.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Proper hands.....

Opinion versus actual experience, always makes me shake my head.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Frank Glasser-Google the name, if you care-killed everything Alaska has to offer, and a lot of them, with a .220Swift and old style bullets. He used many different rifles and said the .220Swift killed them quicker than anything else he used.

Finally had some trouble with a Grizzly and the Swift and for them thought the .30-06 was a better choice. grin

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Hell I had to kill one with a tire tool once, but it ain't my weapon of choice......

I'm sure there are much more experienced hunters here than me, but we've killed more than our share of BG. My son and nephew killed many deer with .223's when they were young. Everything needs to be "right" IMO, to use .22 on big game. Too much can go wrong.

Flame away.....I've got more ass than any of you have teeth. smile

[Linked Image]

laugh laugh laugh

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Laffin......! Sad thing is I can't outrun anybody.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by ingwe

Kinda like how hard boxes are to open in Oregon... laugh

that was Jeff O....

with my Swiss Army Knife, any box is easy to open.... grin

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 222Sako, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 64 invisible), 2,301 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,291
Posts18,486,921
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.