-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I decided to try out my Glock 43 with Buffalo Bore’s new 147 grain +P Outdoorsman round with the flat point hard cast round. The round went through 6 jugs before veering off and missing jug 7. I was impressed by the results. Here is the target array, then a video, then some pictures of the exit of jug 3 and the entrance and exit of jug 6. I would not scoff at this round if penetration is the goal.

The test dummies

[Linked Image]

Jug 3 exit

[Linked Image]

Jug 6 entry

[Linked Image]

Jug 6 exit

[Linked Image]

A companion post for the .45 ACP 255 grain hard cast flag point water jug test can be found here.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 08/10/15.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am thinks same for my 380s

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks, Cheyenne. Picked up a couple boxes of these a few weeks ago. Pretty much confirms what I thought.

Had some of the .45 ACP 255's in inventory already.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
thanks for taking the time to test and post some results on those Buffalo Bore loads--it's this type of endeavor that helps educate all of us, and raises the bar in the field.

i know that some folks squawk about using water-filled milk jugs for testing pills--but they are a great test medium--cheap, easy to set up, etc., etc.

for years (since about 1975), Hornady used a "wax medium" to test the performance of their pills, and i recall publications from the early 1990's where they also they used the "water medium"

in their exact words;

"The water test was devised for two reasons: First, water is a hard medium and poses an extreme challenge to every bullet's performance, and second, it is a test which can easily be duplicated by shooters."

the water-filled milk jug is a real handy asset to these tests. years ago, i would use wet lap--a hassle to do--soaking newsprint in the tub, bagging it in plastic, getting ink all over the tub, my hands, etc. a real nuisance. i switched to the water-filled milk jugs about 27 years ago, and never looked back.

still others say, "you've got to use a ballistic gelatin medium for good, accurate, measurable results"...

it is a great medium, but not practical for most of us (though i sure can appreciate those excellent tests done with it). however, no medium is "perfect", and the gelatins make no provision for one of the "gremlins in the game" anyway -- the skeletal system, for there are no critters walking around in "jellyfish fashion"--minus a skeletal framework.

if the test medium of water is good enough for Hornady--it is more than sufficient for most all of us...

the one problem that almost always crops up when testing deep penetrating pills in "lined-up, water-filled milk jugs" is the path/track of the pill--oftentimes exiting the side of one of the jugs farther down in the line-up. this occurs less frequently when testing hollow point pills, as in most of the practical self defense calibers launching correctly constructed hollow point pills, about 4 jugs distance is about all it goes...

Last edited by Hi_Vel; 08/10/15. Reason: added word "measurable"

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Hard cast dig deep, no surprise.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Full metal jacket and hard cast solids are hole punches for sure....

To make sure bullets are recovered I built a box out of scrap lumber...

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6727703/all/a_few_bullets_tests

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i was messing with those water jugs last week. Shot through an equivilent number with a 310grain 44magnum. The difference was it exploded the first three or four. Remind myself next time to not get too close to them. Course it fell kinda good in the 110degree heat to get all that water blown out on top of me.
I need a bullet catcher too at the back. I had positioned a piece of plywood but the bullet went through that too.
I have to build one of rjm's rigs.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have about the same load for my .38 Supers...a hardcast SAECO 383 weighing 140 grains with 6.0 grains of Unique...velocity is a bit higher however...1230 fps...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, probably about 200 fps muzzle velocity more than what I am getting.

I went back and looked at the jugs I shot. The exit hole in jug 6 was about a half inch lower than the entrance hole. I think the bullet was losing steam and would have stopped in jug 7 or jug 8 had the round gone straight instead of veering right (which started in jug 5). All in all, I thought it was pretty good performance from a 21 ounce (loaded) pocket gun with a 3.4 inch barrel.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 08/11/15.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
A companion post for the .45 ACP 255 grain hard cast flag point water jug test can be found here.

The second I read the title of this thread my first though was "What's he doing without his Glock 30??" LOL!! laugh

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wonder how this load compares to their 124 grain +p+ penetrator load.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (260madman, 1OntarioJim, 260Remguy, 264magnum, 1minute, 257 roberts, 60 invisible), 2,373 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,426
Posts18,489,191
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.