Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Does Hornady manufacture their own brass?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know, but the 250 .243 cases I bought look pretty good, and was all I could find at the time.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From their web page, hope this answers your question.

The ammunition line was beginning to progress, and the ability to feed the plant with outsourced component cartridge cases became increasingly difficult. Inevitably these sourcing issues led to the decision in 1984 to start making cartridge cases "in-house". From very humble beginnings of only a select handful of products, we now produce a comprehensive line of cartridge cases that run the gamut from pistol brass up to the very largest dangerous game offerings that we load in our factory ammunition and sell as component products for reloaders. Our brass is all built to the highest tolerances in the industry, and is a preferred component product for match shooters and hunters alike.

Swifty
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Thanks Swifty. TL

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I just started using it because it was available. I've been very happy with it.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I just received 50 pieces of 25-06 Hornady Brass and have already necked it down to 6mm-06. The quality of the brass seems to be quite good.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I too began using it because it was available. I've found it to be reliably made, decent tolerances for hunting ammunition and just a tad softer than others - about middle of the road between Lapua and some of the cheap stuff. I currently load for it in 2 - 25-06's, 7mm-08, 30-06 and one 243.
In the 25's and the 243, it's given me very good usage out to 500 yards. Haven't run the 7mm-08 or the 30-06 out that far yet.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't have any recent experience, but several years ago I bought a couple hundred cases of 9.3x62. It was very uneven and I ended up culling almost half of them. I have shied away from it ever since. Sounds like they might have got their act together since then...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I recently bought some 25-06 brass. It is very soft.

If I had to guess I would say it is made by Norma.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
A 5 -

I buy SO LITTLE factory ammo that I have NO idea of the quality of Hornady brass. Yrs. back and I don't know if it's still the same today, Hornady brass was named Frontier.

Swifty gave US a very good answer per the manufacture. I'm reading/listening to others per the QUALITY. I don't care WHOSE name is stamped on the brass as long as it GOOD.

OTOH, several yrs. ago, @ '88 or so, I bought 2 boxes of 20 NORMA 270 brass. Long story/short I never did figure what was wrong with it but THAT lot of brass sucked sewer water.

Today I understand that Norma & Nosler are the same for all practical purposes. I have some Nosler brass that is GOOD STUFF.

Things Change

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall
I buy SO LITTLE factory ammo that I have NO idea of the quality of Hornady brass.

Hint. You don't have to buy factory ammo to be familiar with Hornady brass.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Autofive
Does Hornady manufacture their own brass?

Yes.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It's always interesting to read these threads, because brass does indeed vary, and that can happen within one company over a very short time, for the same reasons quality can change in any company over a short time. Overall it has more to do with upper management and production supervisors than anything else, though somebody in one spot on the production line can also screw up a batch. Whereupon somebody on the Internet proclaims he'll never buy THAT brand of brass again.

Many companies have always made brass for other companies. A couple years ago I read one of those posts where somebody said X brand was fantastic and all he used, while another was schidt. The odd things was I happened to know that at that time the brass for particular cartridge he was discussing was made by the schidt company, and only headstamped by the fantastic company.

I still have some .223 and .30-06 Federal Premium Match brass that's great, tough and very uniform. It was highly thought of for many years, when Federal was on the only one of the "Big Three" American ammo companies to offer match-grade brass.

Have also heard this or that kind of brass is always "soft," but have had batches of the same brand of brass that never showed any indication of high pressure even when loaded far beyond normal velocities. Have also had batches of brands that are supposed to be super-hard that showed ejector-hole marks with starting loads.

I've had generally good luck with Hornady brass. Just hope I live long enough to be as sure of every brand's quality as some shooters are before I go to the Big Loading Bench in the Sky.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Q
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Q
Last year I picked up a bunch of Hornady headstamped 25 ACP brass that someone left scattered around at the range. Got a surprise when I went to deprime-they were Berdan primed. I'm betting they didn't manufacture them. A shame, too, I picked up nearly a hundred of them.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Found this on the Hornady site, about factory ammo: "CARTRIDGE CASES: All Hornady ammunition is loaded using premium cartridge cases, with most being made on-site at the Hornady case production plant."

Note the "most".

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mudhen
Don't have any recent experience, but several years ago I bought a couple hundred cases of 9.3x62. It was very uneven and I ended up culling almost half of them. I have shied away from it ever since. Sounds like they might have got their act together since then...

I'm hoping mine is better than that. I bought some 2 years ago and it is still sealed. I've been trying to wear the Norma brass out, but it keeps going and going...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Found this on the Hornady site, about factory ammo: "CARTRIDGE CASES: All Hornady ammunition is loaded using premium cartridge cases, with most being made on-site at the Hornady case production plant."

Note the "most".

The 17 Hornet brass THEY make is good. Their contracted 17 brass is schit.......

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
M D

Thnx. I'm glad to know that 'generally' Hornady has good brass.

I've never bought H brass nor ammo. When I've ordered brass I didnt order any I have doubts about OR any that receive critical reports.

Nice to know I have another option. smile

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
In my Redhawk (yes Redhawk not Super Redhawk) 480 Ruger, Hornady brass sticks in the cylinder but Starline brass does not.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I Shot A Box Of The Cheap Hornady Whitetail Ammo In My 7-08AI. Brass Was Hard To Come By At The Time,And This Was The Cheap Way To Get Them.. While They Shot Very Good. Most Groups Where .300 Or Less. 4 Out Of The 20 Cracked In The First Firing..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (Armednfree, 35, arky65, 300_savage, anothergun, 10 invisible), 16,971 guests, and 850 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,880
Posts18,538,196
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.