Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm trying to find a knife that is comparable to a cutco. I like cutco knives I have couple of them but my wife needs a good
knife and all mine are in storage. Why didn't send her one before I deployed escapes me at this time but hey what can you do. Purpose will be for skinning a moose and that's where cutcos shines we have done several moose with one knife and didn't have to sharpen them. If any of you know of a cutco dealer that has a website and will let you order and ship the knife that would be great too. I have googled for dealer and I have not found anything. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My Step Son sells them. I will get you his website link as soon as I can. Cutco is a superior product and USA made. They aren't cheap, but they are worth it in my opinion.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
www.mycutcorep.com/mccollsimons

I would encourage anyone who wants fine cutlery (and some kitchen gadgetry) to take a look at that website. I had a kitchen well stocked with Dexter Russell stuff. I liked it fine until my step son talked me into buying a few things. Now I am slowly replacing everything I have with Cutco. I have even given it as gifts a few times too. It comes with a forever guarantee and free sharpening for life. A rep can come to your house and sharpen the knives for you. It's not such a big deal if it's a standard blade, but the serrated blades need special sharpening tools.

If you have any questions about anything, PM me your contact info and I'll have my step son give you a call.

79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have several cutco hunting knives I spaced it and never sent one to my wife. I was sold on cutco knives 5yrs ago. I have one cutco (serrated) that I have skinned 6 moose, couple bears, couple caribou and it finally needs to be sharpened.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the order 79S.

IC B2

D
dcd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
thank you for your service. my daughter is also a rep and supplements her college (Trinity) income selling Cutco. as stated,it is a superb cutting tool. good luck to you sir.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Lotta money for a 440A stainless blade. Much better steel available at that price point.

79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Lotta money for a 440A stainless blade. Much better steel available at that price point.

if there is I haven't found it yet... When I can skin a whole moose and not have to sharpen my knife I'm sold on it. So tell me about these better knives for the same price point and I will look at them until then I will keep buying cutco. I used one of those Havalon knives for about 5 minutes on a moose I broke a blade and I was done with that thing. Told my buddy give me back my cutco..

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

It's a product you simply have to use to fully appreciate. If you look at the pics, price and specs, it doesn't tell the whole story. They perform like no other. I have German Wusthoff and American Dexter Russell. I don't use them any more. It's rare to find anyone who has used the products that wasn't impressed.

The forever no hassle guarantee is nice. For many people the free in home sharpening is very important. The company itself has been helping kids pay for college for decades. My step-son started in May. He's a high school senior. It has been fascinating watching him learn and grow from his experiences. He has already set a few records and has received a few awards. He is poised to break the company's all time summer sales record. He needs to sell a few grand more by the end of the month.

The product is expensive. The product is high quality. The product works extremely well. The business model is different. The in home sharpening and forever no hassle guarantee are unmatched. I tend to be thrifty, but find the product to be worth the money I have spent on it. It's hard to find owners who don't think it's worth the money.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 08/20/15.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dcd
thank you for your service. my daughter is also a rep and supplements her college (Trinity) income selling Cutco. as stated,it is a superb cutting tool. good luck to you sir.

Trinity San Antonio?

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Try one of the Cabela's Alaskan guide series knives from Buck. Their S30V blades are FAR superior to any 440A blade. 440A is low carbon, low quality stainless steel than can never compete with the likes of S30V, ATS34, 154CM or any number of higher quality steels for edge retention.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

It's a product you simply have to use to fully appreciate. If you look at the pics, price and specs, it doesn't tell the whole story. They perform like no other. I have German Wusthoff and American Dexter Russell. I don't use them any more.
Wusthoff and Dexter use comparatively soft, low quality steel in their kitchen cutlery blades too. I have some and am not impressed. I also have many other hunting/pocket knives with 440A blade steel. Schrade used 440A in it's premium "uncle Henry" line of knives for decades. They were adequate but far from impressive performers and were FAR cheaper than the Cutco knives.

79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What about knives that use D2 steel??

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Try one of the Cabela's Alaskan guide series knives from Buck. Their S30V blades are FAR superior to any 440A blade. 440A is low carbon, low quality stainless steel than can never compete with the likes of S30V, ATS34, 154CM or any number of higher quality steels for edge retention.

On paper it doesn't appear that way. In practice they do compete and by the account of the OP (who consequently sounds like he knows a thing or two about using knives) they compete well. My step son is sharpening 20 year old Cutco serrated knives...for the first time. Find dissatisfied Cutco owners.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

It's a product you simply have to use to fully appreciate. If you look at the pics, price and specs, it doesn't tell the whole story. They perform like no other. I have German Wusthoff and American Dexter Russell. I don't use them any more.
Wusthoff and Dexter use comparatively soft, low quality steel in their kitchen cutlery blades too. I have some and am not impressed. I also have many other hunting/pocket knives with 440A blade steel. Schrade used 440A in it's premium "uncle Henry" line of knives for decades. They were adequate but far from impressive performers and were FAR cheaper than the Cutco knives.

Do the German and non-German Wusthoffs use the same steel?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are Cutco prices very high?

Here is a Cutco from that page [Linked Image]

I saw a $93.00 price?

How much is that knife?

Cutco $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is the knife I have that cuts very well. It folds, and is safe and easy to carry.

The Walmart price is about $10 however I got a box of them from another source for less.

[Linked Image]

http://www.walmart.com/ip/WINCHESTER-22-49435-Folding-Knife-3-1-2-In/40750376

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Cutco's are awesome. I've got them from small kitchen knives to this filet knife in my sons hand. However, I use a Dexter 6" Boning knife for butchering deer.

[Linked Image]

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Probably not but German knife steel is almost universally pretty cheap shyt 440A or comparable. There are a few exceptions, like the higher grade Linder hunting knives that use 440C and ATS34 but they are few and I don't think any of the kitchen cutlery is anything but relatively soft, inexpensive steel. Look, 440A simply has it's metallurgical, edge holding limits and they are not high, even with the best heat treating and blade grind geometry. That's a fact that CANNOT be changed no matter how good Cutco's marketing hype may be. I have examined the Cutco knives in person and they are WAY overpriced for what they are.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Probably not but German knife steel is almost universally pretty cheap shyt 440A or comparable. There are a few exceptions, like the higher grade Linder hunting knives that use 440C and ATS34 but they are few and I don't think any of the kitchen cutlery is anything but relatively soft, inexpensive steel. Look, 440A simply has it's metallurgical, edge holding limits and they are not high, even with the best heat treating and blade grind geometry. That's a fact that CANNOT be changed no matter how good Cutco's marketing hype may be. I have examined the Cutco knives in person and they are WAY overpriced for what they are.

It sounds like you know quite a bit more about knives than I do. I don't know much about metallurgy, but I do know that there can be appreciable variation in quality within the same grade of stainless. For example, 316 stainless is generally regarded as top quality for marine stainless fasteners. All 316 isn't created equal though. I have used 316 in some mounting applications and it rusted fairly readily. I have had 316 from other sources that was perfect. Boat manufacturers do NOT want their stainless to rust, yet it happens every now and then that they get a batch that does. A batch of the same grade that came before it that didn't rust.

I have read none of Cutcos marketing hype. Prior to you mentioning the grade, I didn't know what grade they were. If they are the same grade as my Dexters, they appear to be better within grade steel. As far as holding an edge goes that is. They also use a type of serration that I had never seen before, and that may have something to do with how well they cut and hold an edge. There's more to quality than holding an edge. Strength, corrosion resistance, ease of sharpening, warranty, and support come to mind.

You have examined them and think they are overpriced. You have 3 people here who own and use them who appreciate their value. It seems the greatest critics of Cutco are those who don't own them and the greatest supporters are those who do own them. Anyone who is considering Cutco should take that into account.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 08/21/15.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

243 members (10Glocks, 257 mag, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 17 invisible), 1,714 guests, and 1,013 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,388
Posts18,469,810
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.