Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
How old or how big is the son? The last thing a young'n needs is a 10 lb gun.

GB1

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
He is a 120 pounds but I agree no one wants to lug around a 10 pound gun especially in these Tennessee mountains

Tater
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I have not seen many ARs that wouldn't work and shoot fine in the last 15 years or so really. CErtianly since the late 90s to early 2000s, most kinks were worked out.

And while certain names I"ve never seen a flaw with, the rest, the things that make em hiccup, are generally minor and easy and cheap to solve.

There is never anything wrong with buying better though as noted.

Personally if you were not relying on it for personal defense, I"d buy what I wanted and see if I was happy with it. You can't hardly go wrong these days.

Me personally I simply shoot what I build, and make sure its right in case it ever has to be used to defend, but that does not mean that I buy the best parts or pay for big name parts.

One downfall to the AR is the overall weight at times, do be careful of that. Couple of Carolyns and couple of my match guns pushed 18 pounds or more...

You do sometimes get what you pay for, but the world of hte AR has come a long way since my first parts gun in the early 80s...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Two of my nephews both started hunting deer & hogs with an AR-15 when they were 11 or 12. Both were small for their age, and had no trouble handling and carrying an AR for hunting.
When they first started out, I only let them hunt with a 5 round mag, with a total of 3 rounds, only , and of course, an empty chamber, while walking.

One of them has a DPS Oracle, and the other has a S&W MP-15.
Both guns have been very reliable and shoot sub MOA 3- shot groups @ 100 yards. Both guns are Flattops and have Leupold scopes mounted.

Like others mentioned, I see no need for a Mill-spec AR for deer hunting.
IMO, based on price and usability, I would recommend, a flat top model in:
1. S&W MP-15
2. Ruger AR-15
3. Stag Arms AR-15
4. DPS Oracle AR-15.
5. Rock River builds a great AR-15, but they are quite a bit more expensive, for a beginners AR.

And unless you just want to spend the extra money, I see no need to buy a Colt, for hunting, unless you plan to sell it later on. The Colt AR will always hold it's value, better than the others.

For Factory Ammo for deer & hog hunting, the Winchester 64 grain Power Point ammo, and their new hog ammo both work great. If your going to Handload, a Barnes TTSX works very well on that sized game as well.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In the $500-$600 range they're all a crapshoot. We just got a shipment of replacement uppers from S&W because of how awful the first batch of rifles were.

I'd buy the cheapest name brand AR you can find. For what you wanna do it'll be fine.

I've had good luck with Federal's 62grain bonded load on hogs.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would recommend Stag Arms. You can buy a lower and then pick the Upper you want and put it together with the push of two pins! Wallah your done.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
In the $500-$600 range they're all a crapshoot. We just got a shipment of replacement uppers from S&W because of how awful the first batch of rifles were.

I'd buy the cheapest name brand AR you can find. For what you wanna do it'll be fine.

I've had good luck with Federal's 62grain bonded load on hogs.

How many uppers and replacements are we talking here? What was the specific problem?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
About a dozen.

Rusted bores. Chambers so rough that they'd shave the brass and filings would get stuck under the extractor. Bores with burrs in them that would snag and rip patches.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Wow, thats bad.

Goes to show you can get bad chit from anyone these days.

Assumedly not the true custom guys that are 2-3 times the normal dollar cost. But I've even seen a front sight fall off a pretty big name gun.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by pseshooter300
I have never owned a AR but am considering getting one for plinking and my boy has mentioned he would like to try to shoot a deer with one in a youth season. Could someone recommend a good one in .223. I am really not a fan of shooting deer with 223 but here some do. Got any advice on a AR?

For your purposes I would buy the first one you pick up at a gun store.

Don't be surprised if you hit what you aim at and the gun goes BANG and cycles every time you pull the trigger. Assuming there's ammo in the mag...

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That is sad. I thought they either chromed or nitrided their bore? I got a bad Colt once, if you lit the barrel you could see where the drug the broach straight up the barrel without a twist about 2 inches below the muzzle. It was nicely chromed however.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
These were CL barrels.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
These were CL barrels.

CL? CLE?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Chrome lined.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
will keep that in mind regards smith and wesson! My MP10 had a nitrited barrel, it was a pretty good gun, not more than 1.5-2 inches for 3 shots but it was a functional weapon not overly heavy, I got smart and got me a DPMS Gen2 which lasted a month I think.

pride in ones work is a thing of the past in the USA.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
sometimes pride of work is related to pay and instructions, or even both.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
PSA kit........ $379
Anderson lower...... $40

$420 AR that 98% of most gun guys would be happy with

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,459 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,074
Posts18,482,669
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.