Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
So if they blue it or add a good hunk of walnut and a more solid magazine??

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
That's truly an interesting question. If you look at Winchester (XPR), Ruger (American), Savage (Axis/Stevens) and Remington (783), they'll all are budget offerings. All of these offering seems to borrow traits from one another with the Savage Stevens starting the trend. The 'fire seems to like to tinker with the cheaper models (including me) even though we have more expensive (is it better?) stuff to play with.

What makes the question even more interesting is that it seems like all of these budget offerings shoot excellent to a point where they might shoot better than their more expensive siblings.

With that said, I think we are seeing a trend where hunters/shooters want performance above costs and these models will become the new norm for all manufacturers as they are modular and cheap to produce.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
America has become a 'disposable' society. And the gunmakers are giving out what's wanted by their public.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I picked up a RAR a while ago and asked myself what it would take to put it in a wood stock with a blind mag.

I don't know what that has to do with fooferall, but that was my first thought.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Who'll be the first, Manners or McMillan, to start making a RAR stock?

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I shot both the RAR and hawk eye on subsequent days on the same caliber similar glass and green box ammo... The RAR was more accurate, lighter, easier to load.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I fully expect to see an upgraded version of the American in the near future. I don't have any inside knowledge -- it's just a guess.

It makes perfect sense to me. The American is a solid platform.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I think the next iteration will likely be something akin to the ranch on 308, 338 and...dare I suggest...358win.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by huntsman22
America has become a 'disposable' society. And the gunmakers are giving out what's wanted by their public.

Yup. I'm just waiting to see which one is the first to switch manufacturing to China. Once that starts all of them will follow suit quickly.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I fully expect to see an upgraded version of the American in the near future. I don't have any inside knowledge -- it's just a guess.

It makes perfect sense to me. The American is a solid platform.

Isn't the Ruger Precision Rifle an upgraded version of the RAR?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by devnull
That's truly an interesting question. If you look at Winchester (XPR), Ruger (American), Savage (Axis/Stevens) and Remington (783), they'll all are budget offerings. All of these offering seems to borrow traits from one another with the Savage Stevens starting the trend. The 'fire seems to like to tinker with the cheaper models (including me) even though we have more expensive (is it better?) stuff to play with.

What makes the question even more interesting is that it seems like all of these budget offerings shoot excellent to a point where they might shoot better than their more expensive siblings.

With that said, I think we are seeing a trend where hunters/shooters want performance above costs and these models will become the new norm for all manufacturers as they are modular and cheap to produce.

The market is in budget, high end. or black guns. Went to the local Scheels store the other day. They have maybe dozen new rifles in the majors' flagship rifles (maybe three R77s, three W70, handful of R700). All other guns were Tikka, RAR,Axis, etc. They actually have more new Kimbers and Coopers than they do 77s, 70s, and 700s combined. Big cabinet of ARs. Where the market goes, the merchants will follow.

Kaiser Norton

Last edited by Kaiser Norton; 08/21/15.

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I don't care for them, as a class, myself, but the concept makes sense for a lot of people, for multiple reasons. Might buy one myself one day.

Last edited by Pappy348; 08/21/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Well...I've never owned a 7#, 16"Bbl, center fire that would shoot like the little ranch does. Even with $10 rings and a cheap Nikon.
I'd suspect a quality set of rings and scope, better brass than remanufactured LC, and some attention to loading and it could really be a half inch gun.
I see the STD 308 for less than 300 bucks in hand.
That's something that Remington and Winchester and browning have yet to pull off successfully.
And certainly something that those makers will need to address if they continue to attempt to battle ruger in the entry level market.
I doubt savage is very happy about it either.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Yup.

The beginning of the "end" was when they sold you something...then charged extra for the warranty.

They were telling us.."It's gonna break".

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
When the Remington 700 came out it was considered a cheap disposable rifle too because of all of the corners cut in manufacturing. Same thing said about the 870, Savage 110 series, Glocks, post 64 Winchesters, and Mossberg 500's. They all seem to work and have proven to last. I suspect the RAR will too.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Actually the 721/722 Remington were considered the end of civilization as we know it by some. Here's a quote from the the 1958 issue of Gun Digest by then well-known writer Bob Wallack: “The motto at Remington these days…is ‘all for production,’ so their rifles are designed for ease of manufacture and to sell at a certain price. Every part that can possibly be banged out on a punch press is banged out on a punch press, much to the sorrow of any real gun bug. Such methods do not affect the handling qualities or functioning of a rifle, certainly, but neither do they add up to a gun that a guy’d want to own with pride.”

Before the 721/722 was the Savage 23, and a bunch of other "cheap" rifles that often are now considered classics. Just look at the price a "nice" 722 in .257 Roberts or a 721 in .300 H&H brings these days.

American mass manufacturing has always been aimed at providing the average customer a functional product at a good price. In fact that's one of the basic principles of capitalism. And now we're bitching about it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
It all went into the shieter in 1964.......

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Probably.

A certain proportion of shooters has always considered guns as tools, with no interest in fine mechanisms, pretty wood, and attractive lines. Function is everything, and low-cost functionality a great virtue. They're not wrong, for their use. Some of us just like something a little nicer. A 77, or its equivalent in other brands is roughly two or three times the price of a RAR. To me, it's worth it. For someone wanting to try out a bunch of different cartridges, or who wants to just shoot, a reliable, accurate rifle for $300 is a wonderful bargain and a good idea. It takes the place for many of the used rifle, with its potential problems, and also possibly the change-a-barrel guns like the Encore.

The question is, will the manufacture of nicer stuff be sustainable for ordinary gunmakers or will it fall to the semi-custom and high-end companies and the Europeans?

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ringworm
So if they blue it or add a good hunk of walnut and a more solid magazine??

Fu ck the magazine. I don't mind hinged floor plates. Don't really care for push feeds, but the RAR isn't bad in that regard.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have both, and both work. The RAR .308 is a great first 'grownup gun' for my 15yr old, or a decent gun for anyone....for any purpose. My 77 in 7x57 is more desirable and classy, for sure. Bar chick or serority chick: both will get the job done, just depends on which you'd rather leave the lights on for.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 08/21/15.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 007FJ, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,431 guests, and 1,387 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,204
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.