R
RNF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by RNF
The man I worked with was from Cameron La. and he liked to mix them with Gar to make Gar Balls.

You'll need a small-bladed, sharp knife to get them. wink

I told my coworker all the gar I have seen were females because I never seen no balls.

Last edited by RNF; 08/21/15.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I caught more than a few grinnell out of the St Johns River in Florida while bass fishing. Never kept one because I never let one into the boat with me. Every one of the damn things seemed to snap viciously at me with that mouth-full of knives they carry. If I couldn't get at the hook with pliers, I cut the rig off. I'd rather have an angry wolverine in my sleeping bag than a grinnell in my boat.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
us Cajuns do eat choupique, we clean them with a spoon and make choupique patties (mixed with eggs and bread crumbs) and we eat gar fish too, gar fish roast or patties/balls.
my Grandma used to want all the gaspagoo (fresh water drum) we would catch too

Cajuns eat anything that don't eat us first :-)

J Simoneaud

Supper's ready!! you have 2 choices, Eat or Don't eat.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I caught one'o them things in an oxbow lake in far western Kentucky several years ago,...a fair sized one. I'd say it went 2 lbs or so. I had no idea what it was. I was holding my rod tip up and had it at the edge of the water studying it.

There was this guy fishing a little ways down from me so I said, "Come look at this. You know what it is?"

He walks over,...looks at it and says, "I thank it's a Base".

I was like, "Base?,..you mean a Bass? Get da fug outta here. I don't know what this thing is, but it ain't no 'Base'".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Simoneaud
us Cajuns do eat choupique, we clean them with a spoon and make choupique patties (mixed with eggs and bread crumbs) and we eat gar fish too, gar fish roast or patties/balls.
my Grandma used to want all the gaspagoo (fresh water drum) we would catch too

Cajuns eat anything that don't eat us first :-)

'cept, sea gulls! shocked sick grin

(Goo aint that bad, ate it several times)

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Simoneaud my friend, when you have access to unlimited sac-a-lait, crawfish, and 437 kinds of Boudain, why in HELL would you eat choupique or gaspargoo?

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
why in HELL would you eat choupique or gaspargoo?

A neighbor a myself was crappie fishing one day and I caught a pretty good sized drum. Normally I just throw them back, but for some reason I put this one on the stringer and filleted it right along with the crappie. Next day that neighbor was at my house when the wife was cooking the fish, and so he was invited and ate with us. I gave him one of the drum fillets, and told him what it was. After eating it, his statement was, "I'll tell you one thing, we ain't throwing any more of them back." miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Damn! Gaspers are good!!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Years ago, about this time of the year, grinnel fishing was always good on one of the local creeks. Buy yourself the biggest spinner bait you could find (yellow skirt was my favorite), spool the old reel with 20# line and hit the creek.

One day I decided to give the grinnel a try and stopped on the bridge to 'test the waters'. I caught a couple and left them on the bridge. Now to put in a boat, you had to go about 50 yds down in the woods and you couldnt see the bridge.

As I was unloading the boat, I heard a truck coming down the gravel road and when he drove onto the bridge, the boards going clappity-clap, clappity-clap. Then the brakes squealing and a door opening. Next I heard a childs voice saying, "Yeah papa, they's alive".
So I called out, "You can have them".
It was quiet for a minute, then a man called out, "Yous got anymore".
"Naw not yet", I answered.
"Ifins you catch anymore, jests leave them on the bridge".
I left him 4 more.

Roflmao! Randy! I remember you tellin' that story at quemado!!!! We all had a good bit o'shine that evening!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mudfish as we call them down here are fun to catch but I've never been hungry enough to try eating one. Once I had a kid ask me if they were good eating. My answer..."depends on how hungry you are." We have a ton of snakeheads down here too and I had a friend cook one of those up on the grill. Not actually too bad, but if you eat enough fish out of the canals down here you start to glow at night. Good times

Craig

IC B3

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
TFF......should have given that devil fish to the dog!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

K
K
When I was a kid, we used to catch a lot of freshwater drum or white perch and they weren't bad if they were big enough so you could find the bones. They are awfully boney, but they tasted ok.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Damn! Gaspers are good!!!!

Gaspers are good. They have to be pretty fair sized to get a decent fillet as they are pretty thin.

Also, people who know how to dress and cut the buffalo to have meat with out the little bones can fry it in cornmeal and it tastes as good as catfish.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If you take freshwater drum in the spring out of cold water, fillet them and cut the meat into strips,throw them into crab boil and chill on ice it's like lobster strips. Once the water warms up they are full of little black worms

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bet that looks real appetizing.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Once the water warms up they are full of little black worms

Crappie get wormy sometimes too. I suspect all kinds of fish do at one time or another. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
R
RNF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by milespatton
Once the water warms up they are full of little black worms

Crappie get wormy sometimes too. I suspect all kinds of fish do at one time or another. miles

I think all scale fish get them in the summer. I have seen worms in bass, crappie and saugeye when cleaning them in the summer but not in catfish.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (160user, 1lessdog, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,465 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,361
Posts18,527,204
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.