Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 21 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 20 21
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RJM

I just wonder if the FBI in their study of this matter pulled up a whole bunch of gun fights of similar distances with different calibers and determined if there was any wide disparity in the hit percentage.

Instead of 36-50 round qualification courses where one just stands there and absorbs recoil, maybe instead each officer could be put in a shoot house with realistic targets at realistic distances and see what happens...

And if one reads the original study back in the late 1980s in the aftermath of Miami, one of the most important factors the panel found in handgun effectiveness was the perception of the officer carrying the gun/ammo combo. I don't see that addressed anywhere in the new study...

Just some thoughts...Bob

I believe the accuracy/speed difference was determined by having a wide range of shooters shoot courses of fire with a Glock in a .40, and a Glock in a 9mm.

Effectiveness of "caliber" was determined by field data as well as laboratory tests with a wide range of duty ammo in each chambering.

The report doesn't really pull any punches regarding previous "data." It pretty much says everything previously determined is a huge hunk of schit.

The FBI is everybody's favorite whipping boy and probably rightfully so. I'd by no means consider the report gospel, but I honestly can't find anything wrong with any of their conclusions.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
If his point is "I don't understand what split times are", then yes.

Shooting someone "right now and well" involves hitting them quickly and accurately. And since "gunfights" involve shooting people more than once.....I guess split times are relevant.

That's not the first time that "split times" have been mocked here. And it's only because of the lingo, which I find absolutely absurd. If you replaced "split time" with "shootin' yer smoke wagon real fast and hittin' wut yer aimin' at" then everybody would be on board.
LOL. You have a way with words.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bea175
New study shows when round-count, accuracy and penetration are factored in, bigger isn't better.

A new study from the FBI’s Training Division shows that overall, the 9mm Luger pistol round is the best option for law enforcement handguns, recommending departments shouldn’t switch their side arms to larger rounds considered by many to be more lethal.

Dollars spent to train, to equip, and to maintain proficiency within various law enforcement agencies will often become the dominant driving force behind the selection of a handgun and ammo for any particular department. What becomes the best option, at that time, for a particular department, does not necessarily make for "the best option" for you as an individual civilian.

Going on three decades in this business, I've seen, trained, and lived through most of these changes going back to the days of the old defunct revolver rounds. In recent times, "the best option" for my particular agency was a Sig Sauer and .357 sig Gold Dot ammo. It proved itself an outstanding choice, and in my personal opinion, has been the single best law enforcement duty pistol I've been issued in these last three decades. BUT, with the current costs and availability of .357 sig ammo, and with the great offers made by Glock and their top shelf customer service, it is cheaper to dump these fairly new Sig Sauers for the relatively inexpensive Glocks shooting 9mm ammo. In addition, decades back we were all tall and strong, but today, we have waived these height and weight requirements and have the ranks filled with a wide swath of gen-y'ers who may be very small, with tiny hands, and having little to no firearm experience. For these, having a cheap modular gun with minimal recoil becomes a factor in these budget decisions. Again, advantage goes to a striker fired 9mm. Having this FBI study gives a professional green light for making such a switch.

I am an old baby boomer who does prefer revolvers, 1911s, and sig sauers. , but the overwhelming mass majority of those within law enforcement today, would not be able to proficiently function with such hammer guns, therefore, the best future options for the whole would be vastly different than mine as an individual.

later

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Saw this when it was posted here a few years ago. Remind us of the gist.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by GaryVA
New study shows when round-count, accuracy and penetration are factored in, bigger isn't better.

A new study from the FBI’s Training Division shows that overall, the 9mm Luger pistol round is the best option for law enforcement handguns, recommending departments shouldn’t switch their side arms to larger rounds considered by many to be more lethal.

Dollars spent to train, to equip, and to maintain proficiency within various law enforcement agencies will often become the dominant driving force behind the selection of a handgun and ammo for any particular department. What becomes the best option, at that time, for a particular department, does not necessarily make for "the best option" for you as an individual civilian.

Going on three decades in this business, I've seen, trained, and lived through most of these changes going back to the days of the old defunct revolver rounds. In recent times, "the best option" for my particular agency was a Sig Sauer and .357 sig Gold Dot ammo. It proved itself an outstanding choice, and in my personal opinion, has been the single best law enforcement duty pistol I've been issued in these last three decades. BUT, with the current costs and availability of .357 sig ammo, and with the great offers made by Glock and their top shelf customer service, it is cheaper to dump these fairly new Sig Sauers for the relatively inexpensive Glocks shooting 9mm ammo. In addition, decades back we were all tall and strong, but today, we have waived these height and weight requirements and have the ranks filled with a wide swath of gen-y'ers who may be very small, with tiny hands, and having little to no firearm experience. For these, having a cheap modular gun with minimal recoil becomes a factor in these budget decisions. Again, advantage goes to a striker fired 9mm. Having this FBI study gives a professional green light for making such a switch.

I am an old baby boomer who does prefer revolvers, 1911s, and sig sauers. , but the overwhelming mass majority of those within law enforcement today, would not be able to proficiently function with such hammer guns, therefore, the best future options for the whole would be vastly different than mine as an individual.

later

Cost is also mentioned as an upside to the 9's.

Not only for saving money on ammunition, but less wear and tear on the guns.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GaryVA

later

Excellent, post

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HawkI
Nothing screams hitting multiple times with greater ease than a mass produced, one size fits all 9mm auto with a schit trigger....unless trying the same with something larger/worse.

Better yet, make it a DAO....

Maybe if you were in charge of buying the duty ammo and going through the seminars you'd be as wise.

FBI "truths" aside, I'd bet most here shoot a wheelgun SA or DA better than they can an auto, regardless of cartridge, unless all they are accustomed to is a duty auto; which begs the question of getting accustomed to anything.

You'll be hard pressed to back that up with any actual research or relevant experience.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by RJM
Something that keeps getting repeated just got me to wondering... One of the beliefs is that one will hit better in a gun fight with a smaller easier to control caliber. I am just wondering where the stats on that are...or if they even exist.

Bob, as ever, you always post great information, and over time i have to say i find myself always eager to read your posts, as well as a handful of other 'fire members....

early in this thread, i mentioned that advancements, etc., in these fields do not come from the govenmental sector--but rather--from civilians who work at their crafts everyday. with this thought in mind:

in a sense, there already has been some "study of sorts" with regard to accuracy, and lightning fast shooting calling for acceptable hits. this occurred back in the 70's and 80's in the IPSC game. in short order, world class handgunners found out in a hurry that in order to play ball, they needed to make the switch to the smaller, faster, lighter recoiling round--the .38 Super--a mighty fine round.

more "speedy, accurate shooting" happens in one day--with all manner of different handgunners displaying all manner of skillsets--than likely occurs in LE on-duty shooting engagements over many days--if not weeks, or longer. i always thought that the 9 mm should have been able to play ball in that game--with no disparity--but alas, "power factor" was there to rear it's ugly head, and the lowly 9 mm was relegated to "minor" status....

this remark is not to defend IPSC--or to compare it realistically to street shootings--but only to point out that in that game, alot of ground was covered, especially in the early to mid 80's. it was--and is--a game. nevertheless it was a good place to acquire necessary skillsets, and test oneself against others.

the 9 mm is without question my favorite round. Bob, you mentioned "the perception of the officer" carrying the gun/ammo as a factor in matters. i believe this is very much spot on. if we can enlarge the pool of individuals you mention to include private citizens who are responsible CC folks, i can say this:

through considering a cross-section of just "everyday possibles" that might occur to a person in their everyday life, i feel more confident with a somewhat bigger caliber, than i do with a smaller caliber--as i prefer to err on the side of caution. too many times i've seen in testing bullets--and in other times shooting various game--that hp pills do not expand--but rather--"cave inward", and you "end up with what you started with".

that leaves "small caliber vs large caliber speed/accuracy". when i first began timing my deltas between "9 mm and .45 auto" capability (and adding an occasional 10 mm in for spice)--there was considerable disparity of times. that was 25+ years ago. consistent effort/work narrows this gap, and today, i can shoot the .45 auto at a speed that i am comfortable with for CC.

for most in LE, they have to carry what their department demands. for the private CC citizen, they can carry many options--but they should carry what they are proficient/comfortable with--and those parameters vary widely with differing individuals....

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
Eric, wtf are you talking about?

Evidently not what you're talking about, and I'll take your word about that. I'm pretty sure we're both screaming at each other about two different things. The "strange things" that we get twisted up about are only strange to those on the outside, in our minds they're always completely rational. But that's what happens without inflection I guess.

Apologies as appropriate, even if it's not needed.

Except to JohnW, I'm pretty sure he's still nuts.

And not due to get better anytime soon. laugh

Was it something I said about the 9mm? Or was it my remarks about the Feeble, Blind, and Incontinent?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It was when you called my grandpa a queer.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
At least I didn't imply
that he was fbi

"Chances Will Be Taken"

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
What is your favorite band camp story?
Mine is the story about a Border Patrol agent on a bridge who had a person that looked like he had a weapon so the agent shot him.
After the shooting no weapon could be found.
They decided that the weapon must have been dropped into the river.
The next day the Border Patrol dredged the river and a large quantity of pistols were salvaged from under the bridge. What a shock?

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
"I believe the accuracy/speed difference was determined by having a wide range of shooters shoot courses of fire with a Glock in a .40, and a Glock in a 9mm."

...I guess they just had to waste the ammo to prove what every halfway knowledgeable firearms instructor already knew...

...but again we have the tail wagging the dog. IPSC, IDPA and Qualification Courses have nothing to do with gun fighting. There is a whole bunch of officers who have been in gun fights with both a .40 and 9mm Glock. What I want to know is ON THE STREET in comparable shootings what is the hit percentage of the two. My belief is that there isn't going to be any. LE still has the same target shooting mentality they have had from the 1930s. In some segments it is getting better but overall not much.

Too may people are worrying about whether or not an officers "qualifies"...they should be worried about whether or not they live through a gun fight without also injuring a innocent party...

Hi_Vel...thanks for the nice words...

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RJM
...but again we have the tail wagging the dog. IPSC, IDPA and Qualification Courses have nothing to do with gun fighting. There is a whole bunch of officers who have been in gun fights with both a .40 and 9mm Glock. What I want to know is ON THE STREET in comparable shootings what is the hit percentage of the two. My belief is that there isn't going to be any. LE still has the same target shooting mentality they have had from the 1930s. In some segments it is getting better but overall not much.

I really can't agree with any of that.

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Too may people are worrying about whether or not an officers "qualifies"...they should be worried about whether or not they live through a gun fight without also injuring a innocent party...

And how do you assess an officer's ability to do that without a standard to meet in a qualification?

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Travis...don't expect you to.... But you tell me. A PD carries .40s and they switch to 9mms...qualification scores are going to go up...I have no doubt about that...no brainer. But I'll guaranty you the on the street % of hits will remain +- just about the same. AND you may find that using 9s instead of .40s you may have to shoot more...

And the reason I am sure of this is that in Dallas which had a lot of gun fights, the guys who were shooting .44s were not missing any more than the guys with .38s. The officers with 9mm were not making any better % of hits than those shooting .45s.

Much more important is that each officer have a gun that fits their hand. And in this world of "uniformity" it isn't happening.

Blue.... Next coat of paint has to go on...be back in a while...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
But that's not an apples to apples comparison. To say Officer#1 hit with 50% of his shots from a .44magnum and Officer#2 hit with 50% of his shots from a 9mm......DOES NOT mean that those officers would have each had 50% hits with a different gun.

Officer#1 may have hit with 80% of his shots if he had switched to a 9mm and Officer#2 may have hit with 20% of his shots if he switched to a .44magnum.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

And how do you assess an officer's ability to do that without a standard to meet in a qualification?

And remember that whatever solution is proposed has to actually be viable for a LE agency in 2015. Any solution is going to have to be defensible in the litigious world LE agencies work in.

R
RGK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R

Roger that. A basic standard is necessary to assess someone's performance and ability. It also points to the training a department needs to do in order to better prepare its people. While an argument COULD be made that qualification doesn't equate to survival, an individual who has trouble qualifying on an easy course of fire is a danger to himself or his partner.

Higher qualification scores equate to higher hit ratios on suspects. I saw that enough to call it a fact, at least in my experience. I was involved in my department's transition to 9mms from revolvers; all cops that wanted to carry a 9mm had to attend (and pass) a 3 day (later 5 day) transition course. Over 1200 rounds were fired. Taught by our department's best marksmen, the course emphasized marksmanship and weapon manipulation with no tactical shooting. After graduation, all cops were monitored for NDs and OISs (shootings) over a two-year period. I personally interviewed every cop that got into a shooting with a 9mm during that time frame. That was somewhere around 100 people. Some thoughts:

1. Poor shooters shoot way better after intense training, in both OISs and qual. Statistically, the 9mm-trained cops achieved more hits on suspects than the revolver (.38) shooters. More training is always good. 9mm is easy to train with; average shooters do well with it.

2. Marksmanship is more important than tactical training. After a cop learns to shoot well, tactics can be uploaded. A good marksman will excell in most any tactical scenario. A tactical genius can lose a gunfight if he misses. The military calls this concept "crawl, walk, run". Learn to shoot, then learn to fight.

3. Multiple hits stop bad guys; one hit-stops are an urban legend. Big bullets don't kill (or stop) any better than smaller ones. At least, that's my experience, based on 24 years as a street cop, academy instructor, homicide detective and combat Soldier with more than one tour in Iraq. Yes, there's always the SWAT head shot with a .45 that saves the hostage. That's not the usual cop shooting.

4. Lots of rounds carried are always better than a few big rounds. I carried in excess of 60 rounds on patrol and had more in my ditty bag. Less recoil is also better, in both training and a firefight. Yes, you can train to overcome the recoil of a .40 or .45, but you'll shoot better with a low-recoiling 9mm and get more hits on the suspect. Superior shooters also shoot better with a 9 than a .45. Check the scores at Camp Perry; Champions excel with any gun, but they're excelling with higher scores now that 9mm has replaced .45 ball in service pistol events.

5. Big rounds are hard on the gun as well. Glock 22s break down, if they're shot a lot. 9mms last forever. Good for the budget.

My thoughts, based on working for a very large Southern CA police department with 10,000 cops to train.
Bob

Last edited by RGK; 08/28/15.
Page 12 of 21 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 42 invisible), 2,294 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,397
Posts18,470,010
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.