Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1034196 10/09/06
M
maestro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Im going Coues deer hunting in Arizona with Enrique in a few weeks, and just realized, I know nothing about them.

What are things to look for? How long are the shots? Do they hang out alone or in herds?

Any info is appreciated.
Thanks,

Maestro

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bucks will normally still be in small groups, but not exclusively--you may see single buck or two with a small group of does and fawns. Groups of does and fawns might go as high as a dozen or so, but 3-6 would be the normal range in the country that I hunt.

Coues deer are normally spotted at relatively long distances after much glassing, and a stalk is planned to put you within rifle range. I constantly hear and read about guys shooting them out to 600 yards or more, but the farthest I have shot one was 315 yards. I would not have taken that shot if he had not been a super buck with no way to get closer. A couple of years ago, I averaged my shots over the last twelve years and came up with an average of just over 130 yards, with several between 70 and 98 yards.

When I am guiding, I try to get my hunters within 200 yards. So far, I have not let my hunters take shots over 250 yards, although I have hunted with friends (who were accomplished hunters) that have shot bucks at ranges farther than that. I was hunting with our current Land Commissioner, Pat Lyons, back when he was still a state senator and watched him nail a running buck (going straight away) at over 400 yards with his .264 Win Mag. However, he is a life-long rancher and rolls running coyotes at that distance (and beyond) several times each year.

A good flat-shooting rifle that is sighted with a point blank range in the neighborhood of 250 yards or so makes it easier to concentrate on your hold without having to guesstimate hold-over.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good info!

Using Barnes bullets before they were cool.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maestro,

It will be an exciting hunt. The area we will be hunting is very different from location to location. The area Rick, Blaine and I hunted last year. You can shoot as close as 60 yards or as far as 450. it all depends where we find them. On the one hill we'll focus on first, I have seen deer scattered and counted as many as 30. Most of the groups were between 3 and 6 animals. We have also seen groups of 5 bucks in a group and singles.

As far as rifles go, I like to sight in at 25 yards. Then I check where it hits at 100, 200, 250, and 300. usually my 308 is 3 1/2 high at 100 and dead on between 250 and 300 yards when I sight it in at 25 yards.
I won't make you shoot farther than you can.

We'll be glassing from points and spending a lot of time there. We use 15x bino's TRIPOD mounted and we glass until we find something or until we have fully picked the area apart and need to move. Most of the time we glass up animals a looooong ways out and then need to stalk in for the kill. If all plans out like we hope, we'll see the deer in the range stated above, and will be able to shoot from our point.

Also patience is key. Some of the areas we are hunting are not traditional coues habitat. Most people drive by us and think we are crazy. then they scratch their heads when we pulled out a 98 inch buck. Depending on where we are, we may or may not see a lot of deer. but when we do, chances are he'll be a shooter and not be as spooked as the deer where all the people are. This gives us a easier time stalking and making accidental noise is not an issue.

What gun are you bringing down?

I look forward to seeing you guys on the hunt.

Enrique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most effort goes into trying to wear out a pair of binoculars, then spot and stalk. 1Minute

1Minute
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
we wear out our boots and binos on our hunts. read the pm i sent you. if your guide tells you to shoot a buck, but he looks small comepared to the eastern deer or what ever deer you hunt, SHOOT THE BUCK!!!! your guide will know the deer and they are small comapred to other deer but listen to the guide. no guide wants to kill small bucks. where is your hunt at?

M
maestro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Im getting excited just reading this stuff.

Enrique.- I really want to take my Kimber 308. It has the Boone and Crockett 4.5x14 which I really like. Shooting 165 Ballistic Tip. I can shoot the little metal targets on a bipod up to 400 yards.

Then I have the rem 7mag that I can hit the metal targets at 600 yards all day long. I've shot a ton of stuff with that one. But its a little heavy, and I really want to switch to the Montana.

I'll bring both and probably use the Kimber. I feel comfortable shooting deer at 400 yards or less with it.. But those are mule deer.

And thanks to all for the advice.

Maestro

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have hunted with Enrique twice and enjoyed both times. Enrique glasses all the time so be sure to bring along one of those dense foam pads to sit on. Otherwise, your behind is going to get really sore.

Rolly
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
take the montana, when you are hunting coues, every punce counts. and 400 is good enough. now, kinda ironic that my coues gun weighs in at about 12 lbs! damn thing is a tack driver though! i have lighter guns that shoot well, but i love the caliber and i love the flat trajectory! i have never been to mexico, but have always heard that it costs around $500 to bring a gun into the country, is that true?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
firstcoues,

The price is right sorta. I have paid as little as $228 and as much as $500. it all depends on the Mexican outfitter and what kind of profit he wants to make for processing papers.
Did you draw a tag this year? What part of the state are you in?

Rolly is right if you have a butt pad to sit on bring it. You'll need it.

On the gun issue, I don't see a problem with the Kimber, if you are comfortable with it, bring it. it sounds like you can shoot both guns very well, so bring the one you want to. both calibers are a good enough to get the job done. All my deer but 1 have been taken with a 308.

Get ready for a exciting hunt. Also keep in mind our deer rarely weigh over 90 pounds so the target is a bit smaller than normal. it should be fun.

Enrique

Enrique O. Ramirez

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maestro, sent you a PM

RR

M
maestro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Thanks Red.

Enrique, did I mention that I can hit the target mentioned laying on a flat surface, no wind, and absolutely no inclination?

And Redrabbit, mentioned Cactus. Do I have to bring a fork along to take those guys out? Also, I may have forgotten to tell you that I have a bad back, am asthmatic, have arthritis, and am allergic to cactus.

Cant wait to see you Enrique.

P.s. Just kidding, I dont have arthritis.

Mike

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I've hunted and guided down in Sonora for coues I like others glass a ton load.

What I like to carry is a piece of Latigo about the size of a large pizza (actually mine is square in size). I use this for a butt pad and it works really well. It'll keep things easy on your rear end and it will allow you to spend more time with the glass.

I wrap it around the tripod for my 15's b4 I put it back in the pack and it travels very well that way.

For what it is worth aside from bruins the coues is my favorite to hunt and then comes yotes.

Mark D

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
M
maestro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Enrique,
How's the weather in Arizona? How should I dress? Something tells me to leave my insulated bibs at home. Just trying to get an idea. Most of my hunting clothes are for freezy weather. Wondering if I need to call Cabelas before the hunt.

Maestro

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maestro,

The desert is getting cool at night but is still warm in the day. I would wear a long sleeve shirt and a jacket for the morning. Nothing heavy, just enough to keep you warm in say 40 to 50 degree weather in the morning, but so you can dress down when it gets in the 80's.
As far as the shooting goes. Not to worry we'll work it out together and make sure you make a clean shot.
Cactus. Bring some tweezers with you just in case. Should not be too bad. Talk to Rick and ask him about when he was down with me last September. He'll have some good info to share.
Bad back? I got someone to carry your stuff. you carry your rifle, but everything else we'll take care of you.
Asthma? I have that too. Just pack an extra albuterol or flovent. We'll take it easy and if all fails, I know first aid and CPR. Plus I can call for help.
Allergic to cactus? If you are serious bring an epi pen or two with you. Or wear chaps of some sort to protect your legs.

Lets talk before you come down. we need to see what we need to do to meet some needs you may or may not have. Also to check gear and anything else we may have missed in our initial.

Some of the guys have good points and ideas. If you forget anything, we have a sportsmans here in Tucson, and we also have a Cabela's in Phoenix (Glendale).

Enrique

Enrique O. Ramirez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kique-are you guyz hunting AZ or Sonora on this hunt?

Thx

Mark D

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mark,

Arizona unit 32. Sonora won't kick off until December.

Enrique O. Ramirez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
thanks-wishing I was a going with you fellas!

Mark D

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Enrique, i will be chasing the grey ghost in unit 36b this november. have seen a few nice bucks, but not in a place i plan to hunt ( go figure) next weekend dad and i are gonna go hit it hard with the scouting and see what we can find. i know a few places that dont see much action, especially over the past few years that the main road into it has been blocked, few people know the back way in. needless to say,all this talk about coues really gets me going! i cant wait!

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Enrique, just looked at your webpage, no pictures of bucks taken?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1beaver_shooter, 257Ackley, 22magnut, 1badf350, 1_deuce, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 56 invisible), 2,927 guests, and 1,098 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,603
Posts18,532,605
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.