No lifejackets?

[Linked Image]

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As long as the threat is taken seriously and treated like a real threat so that all resources are brought to bear, I would imagine they could be sunk very quickly.

But hubris is our military's biggest Achilles heel and no one ever seems to learn from past mistakes. Our military is second to none but anyone who underestimates and scoffs at their opponent has always been in for a bad surprise.

"Indians with bows and arrows? Get real..." (said Custer).
"Stupid Japs, we'll lick'em in a week."
"Bunch of f*ckin' Vietnamese can't hurt us."

And so forth...

We eventually kick ass but not before getting a lot of Americans killed needlessly.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Don't you know - the Supreme Leader can walk on water. He doesn't need a life jacket. As the the officers on the sub, they are replaceable, so why waste money of life vests?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by JTPinTX
The only threat they pose is to some other third-rate navy or shipping vessels that are pretty much running blind. If push comes to shove they will become underwater reefs very quickly.

You might be a bit optimistic. Even old subs can be deadly; just like an elderly cobra, it's venom still works.

Then again I might not be, having spent quite a bit of time on one during my stint in the Navy. We played lots of war games with diesel boats, diesel boats a hell of a lot better than the ones we are talking about here. And we ate their lunch every day of the week, even in an old 637 class boat that was far from top of the line, even 20 years ago. I know somewhat of what I am talking about you see, having been there, done that.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
As long as the threat is taken seriously and treated like a real threat so that all resources are brought to bear, I would imagine they could be sunk very quickly.

But hubris is our military's biggest Achilles heel and no one ever seems to learn from past mistakes. Our military is second to none but anyone who underestimates and scoffs at their opponent has always been in for a bad surprise.

"Stupid Japs, we'll lick'em in a week."
"Bunch of f*ckin' Vietnamese can't hurt us."

And so forth...

We eventually kick ass but not before getting a lots of Americans killed.

Agree with all points. Eventually, the NK can be defeated, but there will be many deaths.

Also, keep in mind that the South has built it's capital's (Seoul) heavily populated suburbs virtually up to the North Korean border (DMZ) and North Korea has over 20,000 artillery pieces looking down into the city's environs. It would be a bloodbath!

Last edited by djs; 08/27/15.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kenjs1
They look ancient but deployed 50. Do we know where each one is and what kind of threat they pose? And to whom or what?

I wouldn't buy one. Jap subs are more reliable.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Ancient sino/soviet (cnink/ruski) garbage manned by gooks with zero naval traditions and little training. Next question...

Next Question; How do you really feel about their capabilities?

Without the traditions or training I envision scenes from the movie "1941" with Slim Pickens and John Belushi. grin

On a more serious note, how do these old sino/soviet subs hold up, structurally? Are they more susceptible to failure due to age?

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by djs
The only threat they pose is to some other third-rate navy or shipping vessels that are pretty much running blind. If push comes to shove they will become underwater reefs very quickly.

You might be a bit optimistic. Even old subs can be deadly; just like an elderly cobra, it's venom still works.

Then again I might not be, having spent quite a bit of time on one during my stint in the Navy. We played lots of war games with diesel boats, diesel boats a hell of a lot better than the ones we are talking about here. And we ate their lunch every day of the week, even in an old 637 class boat that was far from top of the line, even 20 years ago. I know somewhat of what I am talking about you see, having been there, done that.

And yet, in spite of this technology, the Norks sank a state-of-the-art South Korean naval ship in 2010. see: http://www.bbc.com/news/10129703

A report on the incident stated:

"The evidence points overwhelmingly to the conclusion that the torpedo was fired by a North Korean submarine.

"There is no other plausible explanation."

Something must be worrisome in the South's naval bureaucracy.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
No matter how well maintained, they are still horribly outclassed by any modern navy. And I'm betting they ain't maintained very well either. Having rust up on your hull during a publicity shoot doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Any brass I know would have reamed someone up one side and down the other for that.

And then we have the issue of training. Even the best piece of equipment is only as good as its skipper and crew. You gotta remember, the NORKS aren't exactly known for encouraging free thinking. That is what makes U.S. sub skippers so good, is they are basically turned loose on their own to prove themselves, and if they can't cut it they get canned. Saw it myself several times. Aggressive tactics are encouraged. They are wolves.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I hear their subs are equipped with screen doors.... whistle

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

DJS certainly doesn't let common sense or factual evaluations get in the way of his delusions.

Plants his flag of ignorance and defends it until the end.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by djs

And yet, in spite of this technology, the Norks sank a state-of-the-art South Korean naval ship in 2010. see: http://www.bbc.com/news/10129703

A report on the incident stated:

"The evidence points overwhelmingly to the conclusion that the torpedo was fired by a North Korean submarine.

"There is no other plausible explanation."

Something must be worrisome in the South's naval bureaucracy.

And a sucker punch is still a sucker punch too. The surprise shot usually works. But after that the gloves come off. Not saying they can't sink someone with a cheap shot before the onset of hostilities. But life expectancy after that is short. Very short.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by add
No lifejackets?

I honestly don’t recall ever wearing a lifejacket on the bridge, even in some very crappy weather. The cockpit was chest high or thereabouts and pretty secure. The lookouts might have worn jackets, considering they usually stood a little higher on the bench in the back of the cockpit, but they could also tether themselves to the boat. That tether might have kept me from losing my lookout one night in the middle of the Atlantic.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Subs are fascinating machines, even if they are old, and belong to crazy people.

If they actually dispersed them, then gave a signal for all to attack the ship nearest each sub, they could probably sink a dozen or more ships before hell was unleashed on them.

I dunno what their range is, but I hope if one tries to slip over to Japan or Hawaii, it would meet with a sudden unexplained accident smirk

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by djs

Me too - as I served only on diesel boats. It's the reason (other than pure age) that diesel boats were 'retired' many years ago.. Old technology. You don't see the old 'dial' telephones any longer either.. laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by RufusG
Originally Posted by add
No lifejackets?

I honestly don’t recall ever wearing a lifejacket on the bridge, even in some very crappy weather. The cockpit was chest high or thereabouts and pretty secure. The lookouts might have worn jackets, considering they usually stood a little higher on the bench in the back of the cockpit, but they could also tether themselves to the boat. That tether might have kept me from losing my lookout one night in the middle of the Atlantic.

It was more a commentary on the sea-worthiness of the vessel in the glamour shot.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

DJS certainly doesn't let common sense or factual evaluations get in the way of his delusions.

Plants his flag of ignorance and defends it until the end.
and

And, what part of my postings re this subject do you find non-factual? Is it that:

1. There is a North Korea?
2. They are ruled by a narcissistic, ruthless Supreme Leader?
3. they have a very large military force (abet obsolete in many areas)?
4. They do have a number of diesel-electric submarines?
5. They did use one of these subs to torpedeo and sink a South Korean warship killing 46 seaman?
6. This sub was apparently undetected as it maneuvered to launch the torpedo?
7. A South Korean-led investigation carried out by a team of experts from South Korea, the United States concluded that the warship had been sunk by a North Korean torpedo fired by a midget submarine. This report was presented in a summary of its investigation on May 20, 2010?
7. The South Koreans are heavily dependent on the US for most of the high-tech the weapons they use?
8. The US has pledged to defend South Korea and has deployed about 30,000 US troops, US aircraft, as well as US naval forces in South Korea. I assume these US troops and naval personnel have access to the latest US military technology.
9. That South Korea has allowed it's capital's (Seoul) suburbs to extend to within a few miles of the DMZ and North Korea's border? Downtown Seoul itself is only about 30 miles from the DMZ. see: http://www.sfgate.com/travel/article/SEOUL-lives-life-on-the-edge-Just-35-miles-from-2557590.php
10. The DMZ is a popular tourist day trip from Seoul? see: http://www.qsl.net/ah6hy/SKDMZ.html
11. North Korea has about 20,000 artillery pieces amassed on the DMZ aimed at South Korea?

Or, maybe you are piqued at something else - what?

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Story re North Korea Subs - "North Korea's Ongoing Massive Submarine Deployment Is Worrisome" see: http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/north-koreas-ongoing-massive-submarine-deployment-is-wo-1726797346

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Any submarine is worrysome. But their fleet has very limited capabilities. While submerged on battery even the old Whiskey and Romeo's are pretty darned quite, but at some point they have to run those diesels, and that's where they get caught. But they can raise a lot of hell and cause some headaches. But the South would deal with them, and God help the Norks if we got involved...it'd be a US submariners wet dream.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I almost guarantee our subs can hear them from a looooooooooooooooooooooooong ways out. Hell they can probably listen to their conversations inside the boat.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1234, 16penny, 64 invisible), 2,571 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,465
Posts18,471,363
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.