Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 49 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 48 49
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Oh, I do. It's cuzz some book told you that you're important and special, why, because you need that self affirmation.

I have no doubt that you, Eyeball, are indeed SPECIAL.

Yep.

Short bus to community college special.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
You want to bet money on that.

Just because you grew up in an age and place of miracles doesnt mean His prophecy in that regard has not been fulfilled.

The pygmies would consider meds that would cure TB or heart transplant surgery a miracle. No animals you two are the same as can contemplate, much less, accomplish that. So you have the stupid excuse, well they dont have fingers. So, I guess He was right, we, the special ones, would perform miracles.

Join the Christians guys. Be all that you can be. Good night.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by eyeball
You want to bet money on that.

Just because you grew up in an age and place of miracles doesnt mean His prophecy in that regard has not been fulfilled.

The pygmies would consider meds that would cure TB or heart transplant surgery a miracle. No animals you two are the same as can contemplate, much less, accomplish that. So you have the stupid excuse, well they dont have fingers. So, I guess He was right, we, the special ones, would perform miracles.

Join the Christians guys. Be all that you can be. Good night.

Animals:

Animals are multicellular, eukaryotic organisms of the kingdom Animalia (also called Metazoa). All animals are motile, meaning they can move spontaneously and independently, at some point in their lives. Their body plan eventually becomes fixed as they develop, although some undergo a process of metamorphosis later on in their lives. All animals are heterotrophs: they must ingest other organisms or their products for sustenance.

Most known animal phyla appeared in the fossil record as marine species during the Cambrian explosion, about 542 million years ago. Animals are divided into various sub-groups, some of which are: vertebrates (birds, mammals, amphibians, reptiles, fish); molluscs (clams, oysters, octopuses, squid, snails); arthropods (millipedes, centipedes, insects, spiders, scorpions, crabs, lobsters, shrimp); annelids (earthworms, leeches); sponges; and jellyfish.

Human[1]
Scientific classification
Domain: Eukaryota
(unranked): Unikonta
(unranked): Opisthokonta
Kingdom: Animalia
Subkingdom: Eumetazoa
Superphylum: Deuterostomia
Phylum: Chordata
Subphylum: Vertebrata
Infraphylum: Gnathostomata
(unranked): Amniota
(unranked): Synapsida
Class: Mammalia
Subclass: Theriiformes
Infraclass: Eutheria
Magnorder: Boreoeutheria
Superorder: Euarchontoglires
(unranked): Primatomorpha
Order: Primates
Suborder: Haplorrhini
Infraorder: Simiiformes
Parvorder: Catarrhini
Superfamily: Hominoidea
Family: Hominidae
Subfamily: Homininae
Tribe: Hominini
Subtribe: Hominina
Genus: Homo
Species: sapiens
Subspecies: Homo sapiens sapiens

Yes, we are Animals, Vertebrates, Mammals, Primates, Hominids, and Homo sapiens sapiens, i.e. Human. Deal with it.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by eyeball
Lying is saying we are no more than animals.

As He said, we would perform miracles, if you dont believe so, let a dog operate on you.

Judging by the way some act, "animal" would be an improvement.

Surgery is science, not a miracle

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by MojoHand
Why Atheists are more honest than Christians

"First, let's discuss one of my favorite subjects--semantics. It would seem that we live in an age of word manipulation. Perhaps this has always been so...

Many logical fallacies depend on the straw man of distorted definition. This can be seen on many internet threads pertaining to religious and political themes (not to mention News networks). Before one tackles a certain issue or makes claims upon such, it behooves one to be clear on just exactly WHAT they mean when they use a certain term. To that end, let's define some notably pliable and problematic words...

For this discussion I define the term 'Christian' as it is commonly (if rather loosely) understood and used in American Evangelical and Protestant world. "One who claims to believe that Jesus was/is God incarnate and who believes in a penal/substitutionary atonement theological (and soteriological) view." There are several a priori and post hoc beliefs involved with that definition but they tend to be self evident. I believe this to be a misleading and false definition of true Christianity but that is irrelevant to this discussion.

Now when it comes to the term "atheist" there is far more confusion and confabulation than in regards to something as broad and murky as "Christian". Too often, it's the religious folk who decide that THEY are the ones who get to define exactly what an atheist "is" or believes. A sneaky backdoor to the 'No True Scotsman' fallacy, as it were. This obfuscation and redefining to suits one purpose has deep roots in mankind's psyche--and not just in the religious realm.

To be fair and honest one only needs to ask true atheists how they define themselves.
Here is the American Atheists Association definition:

---------------------
What Is Atheism?
No one asks this question enough.

The reason no one asks this question a lot is because most people have preconceived ideas and notions about what an Atheist is and is not. Where these preconceived ideas come from varies, but they tend to evolve from theistic influences or other sources.

Atheism is usually defined incorrectly as a belief system. Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods. Older dictionaries define atheism as "a belief that there is no God." Some dictionaries even go so far as to define Atheism as "wickedness," "sinfulness," and other derogatory adjectives. Clearly, theistic influence taints dictionaries. People cannot trust these dictionaries to define atheism. The fact that dictionaries define Atheism as "there is no God" betrays the (mono)theistic influence. Without the (mono)theistic influence, the definition would at least read "there are no gods."

Why should atheists allow theists to define who atheists are? Do other minorities allow the majority to define their character, views, and opinions? No, they do not. So why does everyone expect atheists to lie down and accept the definition placed upon them by the world’s theists? Atheists will define themselves.

Atheism is not a belief system nor is it a religion. While there are some religions that are atheistic (certain sects of Buddhism, for example), that does not mean that atheism is a religion. Two commonly used retorts to the nonsense that atheism is a religion are: 1) If atheism is a religion then bald is a hair color, and 2) If atheism is a religion then health is a disease. A new one introduced in 2012 by Bill Maher is, "If atheism is a religion, then abstinence is a sexual position."

The only common thread that ties all atheists together is a lack of belief in gods and supernatural beings. Some of the best debates we have ever had have been with fellow atheists. This is because atheists do not have a common belief system, sacred scripture or atheist Pope. This means atheists often disagree on many issues and ideas. Atheists come in a variety of shapes, colors, beliefs, convictions, and backgrounds. We are as unique as our fingerprints.

--------------------

For a further in depth look at the differences between lack of belief, disbelief and denial here is a short lesson...

http://atheism.about.com/od/definitionofatheism/a/DisbeliefDenial.htm
-------------------

Where am I going with all of this and how does it pertain to the title? Simple.

There is no concrete, verifiable proof of gods/God. Period. (Please don't even start with the circular 'nature' argument.) Without that proof all you are left with is, indeed, faith. And, to head you off at the pass, this isn't an attack on faith. There's nothing inherently wrong with faith itself (its by-products can be another story). The problem is with those 'believers' who talk out of one side of their mouth about the importance of faith and then state that said faith is 'fact' and can be proven. THAT'S where the belief stops and the Bullschit starts...

I can count on one hand (with leftovers) the Christians who have the moral, intellectual and spiritual honesty to say, "I choose to believe this not because of facts or proof but because I want to'. And, again, let me stress...that's ok. However, it leads to at least two questions for me..

One, because it is a matter of pure 'faith' (belief without or in the face of facts) how do you regard your version as any better or 'truer' than another's?

Two, (and this is the big, important one for me) how does your 'faith' then make you a better person? Because most Religious people I've met end up using their beliefs to judge others and make themselves feel superior--sometimes 'innocently' and often maliciously.

In the end, both atheists and Christians have the same evidence for God/gods...none. The Christian chooses to believe anyway and tries to convince you it's fact. The atheists chooses no belief and doesn't try to convince you of anything.

Who's more honest?"

It appears to me that you are placing the actions and morals of individual people as if they have them because they are people of faith. We are all sinners and far from perfect. People are still people, and individuals. I can say that it appears a lot of non-believers find God when the chips are down... but its not because of their faith, or lack of, but because of their human nature and their needs.

Peoples actions show what and who they are despite what they claim to be.

Lastly, everyone has their own challenges and stumbles. It takes a long time to understand deeply, if we every get there.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Wow!

You guys have been busy today. At least posting, if not thinking!

I find the variety of responses from the Christians to be fascinating and I shall attempt to address some of them that I found 'interesting'...

For most of the rebuttals Antelope Sniper has done a fine job and I can add nothing further.

Just wanted to note some special ones.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An honest man needs nor is defined by religion or not; he is simply honest regardless of faith or lack thereof.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Oh, I do. It's cuzz some book told you that you're important and special, why, because you need that self affirmation.

I have no doubt that you, Eyeball, are indeed SPECIAL.

He is that; one of the most hate filled individuals on this site. Between he and BarryC, Satan is having a freakin' field day with the use of hatred to twist the minds and souls of men.

Their own posts prove it; no need to ask me to do so.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nope 4ager, you've got eyeball pegged wrong. He's a good guy who will go out of his way to help people. He is a very generous, honest, and overall good guy.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BC30cal
MojoHand;
Good evening to you sir, I trust this finds you well and keeping well away from the fires and smoke.

If I may, I've got a question for you since it appears to me there's a category of folks that have been omitted.

Where or how do you or the author classify people who have had experiences in their lives that cannot be explained by science or logic?

We can call them "supernatural" or "miracles" or simply leave the experiences as unexplained - but where will we put those folks?

I'm cognizant that my experiences are not yours as yours are not my own and neither one of us can truly understand or perhaps even empathize with someone else whose life experience is vastly different from our own.

But supposing there are people out there who have had such things happen to them that cannot be explained - would it be acceptable for those individuals to believe in "something more" than we can see, feel, touch or explain with currently understood science?

Just curious is all sir.

As I age I'm increasingly leery of anyone who says, "these people" are "always that way" and this is why - if you know what I mean?

All the best to you in the remaining fleeting days of summer sir and good luck on your hunts this fall.

Dwayne

Dwayne,

I have always loved your humility and thoughtful posts and you ask a legitimate question.

Many people have experiences they can't 'explain' but often they are not fully investigated. In addition, as AS asked, why does it have to be the work of that particular person's particular God? This goes to the point in the OP that if faith is truly faith (no facts and provable evidence to back it up), then how does any 'believer' (no matter their religion/creed) tout their experiences over another? If one wishes to attribute the unexplained to the metaphysical or supernatural, shouldn't they should allow for the possibility it might not be their version of the supernatural?

You ask if it's acceptable for someone to believe in 'something more' than science can currently explain...I say, absolutely. Just please admit that is a choice not based on fact but belief.

I enjoy your posts, Dwayne, and wish you and your family the best this hunting season up in the Nothwoods!

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4ager
An honest man needs nor is defined by religion or not; he is simply honest regardless of faith or lack thereof.

Sean,

Let me skip ahead to reply to your post.

The question wasn't about general honesty..it was about honesty regarding faith vis-a-vis the facts.

In fact, you make a good point against many Christian claims that morality and ethics cannot exist apart from their version of religion/God.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Read his posts. He's more full of hate and expressing the same than anyone else on this forum. What he's like in "real life" vs his persona here, if you are correct, is Jekyll and Hyde.

How many racist (against black, Hispanic, Asian, Indian, everything), anti-semitic, anti-immigrant, sexist, homophobic rant posts do you need to read to verify the statement that he spouts almost nothing but hatred? It's right out there for the world to read, and it's as plain as the nose on your face. Hell, he even brags about doing the same with a client or son of a client to the point to where the guy walks out; this as a damned doctor being paid to treat a patient and not go off on a political/social diatribe.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Sean,

The question wasn't about general honesty..it was about honesty regarding faith vis-a-vis the facts.

In fact, you make a good point against many Christian claims that morality and ethics cannot exist apart from their version of religion/God.

Faith needs not facts, and facts need not faith. They are not mutually exclusive, nor are they mutually required. An honest person is honest; one that is not, will not be regardless of faith or the lack thereof.

For example: one of the most honest, caring, trustworthy individuals I've ever known is Buddhist (if anything at all). You could not beat a lie out of this person, and there's not a soul that knows him that doesn't take his word as true. Contrast that with a professed "christian" many times over that many know here that has made a life's work of conning, cheating, swindeling, and otherwise dishonest dealing in spite of the "profession" of faith that still fools a few.

The faith(s) or lack thereof between the two has nothing to do with the honest of the person; they are honest or they are not. Their "faith" or lack thereof is simply a disguise/mask, or an excuse, or not.

Last edited by 4ager; 08/27/15.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Scott F

I can count on one hand (with leftovers) the Christians who have the moral, intellectual and spiritual honesty to say, "I choose to believe this not because of facts or proof but because I want to'. And, again, let me stress...that's ok. However, it leads to at least two questions for me..

One, because it is a matter of pure 'faith' (belief without or in the face of facts) how do you regard your version as any better or 'truer' than another's?

Two, (and this is the big, important one for me) how does your 'faith' then make you a better person? Because most Religious people I've met end up using their beliefs to judge others and make themselves feel superior--sometimes 'innocently' and often maliciously.

In the end, both atheists and Christians have the same evidence for God/gods...none. The Christian chooses to believe anyway and tries to convince you it's fact. The atheists chooses no belief and doesn't try to convince you of anything.

Who's more honest?"

I will be honest with you. I believe in God and Jesus Christ, the Son OF God. Why, because I want to, I made that choice myself without any need for proof. In fact I will go on record as saying not only is their no proof but it may even be a sin to try to find a proof. I believe because I believe and that's all I need.

Just out of curiosity, which finger am I? I won't be upset if you say the middle. grin

Here's your answer, Scott...

👍🏻

laugh

Thumbs up for being honest. Thank you! If only there were a few more on this thread, I could start on the other hand!

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by curdog4570
"Show me a good action that can be taken by a Christian, that cannot be taken by an Atheist."

Maybe bringing comfort to the dying by affirming the existence of a kind and merciful God?

As a group, Christians smoke the atheists when it comes to reaching out to others. I am sure that antelope and others that will say that we are bad people, but many lives are helped by the efforts and generosity of Christian people.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Wow!

You guys have been busy today. At least posting, if not thinking!

I find the variety of responses from the Christians to be fascinating and I shall attempt to address some of them that I found 'interesting'...

For most of the rebuttals Antelope Sniper has done a fine job and I can add nothing further.

Just wanted to note some special ones.

Mojo,

Thank you for your kind words.
I can always learn more, so I look forward to reading your comments as well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why Atheists are more honest than Christians?

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm .... short answer is no.

Stereotype much?

I've always found most atheists to be rather incapable of the basic human tendencies toward faith ... of any kind.

Atheists, from my experience, feel morally superior to all others claiming to be naturally superior, naturally more ethical and moral, than others ... especially those who practice organized religion.

I'm not crazy about organized religion per se, but I know in my heart there is something bigger out there than any of us can fully understand until we get there.

It always goes back to the big bang ... it started from something.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Sean,

Faith needs not facts, and facts need not faith. They are not mutually exclusive, nor are they mutually required. An honest person is honest; one that is not, will not be regardless of faith or the lack thereof.

So if a person tries to claim they have proof of their 'faith' (which is patently dishonest) you would say they are an all around disingenuous person?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Sean,

So if a person tries to claim they have proof of their 'faith' (which is patently dishonest) you would say they are an all around disingenuous person?

No. I've no more right/privilege to judge the "proof" of their faith than they do mine or anyone else's. Therein lies the rub, does it not?

Judge by the actions and deeds, not the claims.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Originally Posted by curdog4570
"Show me a good action that can be taken by a Christian, that cannot be taken by an Atheist."

Maybe bringing comfort to the dying by affirming the existence of a kind and merciful God?

As a group, Christians smoke the atheists when it comes to reaching out to others. I am sure that antelope and others that will say that we are bad people, but many lives are helped by the efforts and generosity of Christian people.

You dodged the question. So let me give you another one.

Can you think of an evil action that can only be committed by a religious person?

Page 9 of 49 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 48 49

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

114 members (44automag, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 673, 907brass, 16 invisible), 1,666 guests, and 994 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,117
Posts18,483,482
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.