Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
M
A family rifle has been handed down a generation 700 bdl 7mm magnum , locking bolt safety, blued stainless steel barrel , no letter prefix on serial number .

The only issue is when loading the rifle and closing the action , the action appears to bind slightly before closing fully, have tried different factory and ha loads with no difference .

Do not feel it is ammunition related as after closing the bolt and partial open without extraction you can close the bolt with no effort .

Is this maybe a lubrication issue cocking the action ?

Can I lubricate the bolt normally with this locking safety ?

This rifle was a favorite of a distant uncle and hunted well for many years , it is valued for its history .

Thank you in advance

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Does it do it with no ammo? Sometimes the screws used to mount the front scope base are a tiny bit too long and will contact the bolt when closing it.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
M R -

A shot in the dark w/o seeing it.

Maybe 1 bolt lug isn't square or barely not sq. ?

Something to check.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Smooth as butter with no ammo , the old actions were smooth

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Maine_Rifle

Do not feel it is ammunition related as after closing the bolt and partial open without extraction you can close the bolt with no effort .

Is this maybe a lubrication issue cocking the action ?

Cocking should be on the UP swing after firing.

IF I correctly understand... you said "loading and closing"

Yes I have the older 700s and they are smooth.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Yes, you are right cock on open , forgot that .

It is like it has one tight spot as you rotate the bolt closed just before closing , before and after is fine . But it goes away when half re chamber the same round ( open the action pull half back and then close it is fine)

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You'll feel a little resistance as the extractor engages the round in the final stage of closing the bolt. It has to spring over the base of the case to engage in the extractor groove. Of course you won't feel it do that if you raise and lower the bolt handle again, because the extractor has already engaged. If it is unduly difficult you might have a good close look at the extractor - it might need a bit of a clean.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Sounds like it might be lack of lubrication or wear on the cocking notch on the rear of the bolt, where the nose of cocking piece sits.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1. Check the extractor. Make sure there is no brass under it and that it is correctly positioned.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
dan -
I hadn't thot of the extractor. Good point.

M D - yep, another possibility but in all the 700s I've had and have I've never felt that.

Hopefully you'll find a MINOR problem and so far it doesn't sound like a biggun!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've felt it a little with the cocking notch on some actions, but the extractor issue makes more sense.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
+1. Check the extractor. Make sure there is no brass under it and that it is correctly positioned.

That was my first thought. I had a 721 '06 that had crud under the extractor when I bought it ( real cheap) and was similar to yours. All cleaned up it was slick from then on.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Hey Maine ! (pun intended)

How bout an update ? progress ? find/fix?

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by dan_oz
You'll feel a little resistance as the extractor engages the round in the final stage of closing the bolt. It has to spring over the base of the case to engage in the extractor groove. Of course you won't feel it do that if you raise and lower the bolt handle again, because the extractor has already engaged. If it is unduly difficult you might have a good close look at the extractor - it might need a bit of a clean.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^

M
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Fantastic , I have the tool to disassemble the bolt , beats a dime by a long shot . I have never removed an extractor and will have to do some homework .

Thank you for your help and will advise this weekend.

M
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Appears I will need a new extractor if I remove the old , I actually was confusing ejector with extractor originally ,extractor is easier

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
No need to remove the extractor to clean it, if there is brass build up under it then use a wire or copper brush to remove it or barring that use something short pointed to scrape the copper from under it.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by drover
No need to remove the extractor to clean it, if there is brass build up under it then use a wire or copper brush to remove it or barring that use something short pointed to scrape the copper from under it.

drover

Ya you want to be carefull digging under the extractor. They can be bent and rendered totally useless. Odds are it's the riveted style, Brownells has been out of them for a while...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

M
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Gentlemen , you were exactly right ,small amount of brass and goo under extractor . Lubricate the rear of the action for good measure .

Issue resolved , nice smooth old Remington .

Thanks for the help .

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

277 members (257 mag, 2500HD, 160user, 12344mag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 257robertsimp, 31 invisible), 1,877 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,167
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.