Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello all

i have just accepted a new position in Boise. while i have lived in MN for a long time i am excited and a little nervous as well to open this new chapter in our lives. Do we have any fellow Idaho fire members?

any pointers to places to shoot? I will be giving up pheasants which is tough for me. Are there any places to chase roosters either wild or even a game farm would be ok with me just to get the bird fix.

How about gun shops besides the obvious Cabelas.

thanks in advance fellas

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Birds are still here just not like it used to be, and of course Quail, Chucker, turkey and Huns too. There are places you can buy birds too.

Lots of gun shops in the Treasure valley, dozens, Cabala's is not on my short list except mail order. They do have a OK used selection but new is usually to high for my taste.
Boise Gun has thousands of guns on hand at two locations.
We also like Larry's in Nampa. Boulevard pawn a few blocks away has a nice selection too. To many gun shops to even begin here, will be fun to look for yourself and then you can return to those you liked.

Several gun ranges, thousands of square miles of public land and one can shoot on most of it, Get some BLM and forest service maps once your here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I grew up in Boise but I've lived about 130 miles east of there for 45 years. Boise today is a far cry from Boise then. From Boise west through Nampa and Caldwell used to be all farmland with a few small towns. Now the main crops are subdivisions with some hay and corn between them.
Like 700LH said, there are birds but you'll have to drive farther to find them. Hells Canyon is famous for chukkars if your legs are good. You'll find Idaho to be a bit more, er, 'bumpy' than MN. We also have very good deer and elk hunting.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Wow that's quite a move; congrats! I am turning green here...

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
thanks for the information guys. i am looking forward to the change. only live once and may as well see what else is out there. there is a bit of a sphincter moment as well being a big move on short notice.

makes a family move fast though and not languish on the decision.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My daughter lives in Boise so we visit pretty regularly. Say good by to all the green foliage and the humidity of MN. Not too many Queen fans in Boise!

Plenty of gun shops as 700LH and Rock Chuck said. Boise gun and while not cheap, Cliff's Safes & Reloading has an extensive inventory. Throw in a few brew pubs and plenty of good restaurants.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Congrats on the move Steve ! Been thinking about moving for awhile now. Think you made a much better choice then when you were offered San Francisco. Pretty nice spot to move to

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Boise is French for trees which gives you some idea of how grateful early explorers were to finally find any. The Oregon Trail passes right through the middle of town, and you can still see wagon tracks east of there.

Lots of trout rivers and reservoirs nearby. Mountains a very short drive north. Skiing if you are a fan. Birds? Heck, we in Utah go to Idaho to find them. Then there's fabulous varmint hunting, ghost towns to explore for photography, and... well, just plain LOTS.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Minnesota, San Francisco, Boise... Wells Fargo?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is a very active LGBT community and they hold a colorful parade each year, not to be missed.

We've had an influx of Somali refugees over the last few years so it's not uncommon to see women in bright clothing with their butt naked little children in tow, with the young men in small groups toting their beat up AK-47's - open carry is definitely allowed here. They get in some pretty good shootouts with the Mexican gangs but they leave white folks alone, mostly, so it's nothing to worry about unless you get in the crossfire.

Most conversations around you at restaurants will be about how much better and nicer and much more sophisticated things were "back home" in California, but that's normal all over the Northwest.

The smoke from the fires has cleared out of the valley in the last day or two so air quality is back to "warning".

Other than that, it's a pretty nice place to live... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
On the east side, the town ends kind of abruptly and you're in the hills and along a river with no houses. After just a few miles, you're in national forest which goes clear to Montana with some great wilderness areas in between. On the southeast side, I-84 passes the huge Micron microchip factory then immediately turns to BLM and ranch land which goes for MANY miles. Most of those ranches, though, have been bought up for tax write offs and they grow keep out signs on every post. The idiot owners scream to the IDFG about the predatory elk driving them out of business but just try to get permission to hunt them. Behind the ranches, though, are more vast tracts of that boring public land where there aren't any convenience stores or public restrooms. To the southwest is high desert and the Owyhee mountains. That area gets quite remote. We had another thread going about what's called the ION area that's comprised of the Idaho-Oregon-Nevada desert. You can really get lost out there.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One more thing: If you are tired of bland, white Scandinavian cooking, prepare to have your taste buds jolted with Basque food. There are a lot of Basque folks in Idaho, from the sheep heydays - and boy can they cook!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As stated by others, the Boise of my youth was great.
Pheasants, decoying waterfowl and vermin were outstanding.

Still a decent place , for the most part, and you can drive a little and/or pay some and do fine.

Fishing oppertunities too.
Or rafting, kayaking, hiking, skiing, atving, snowmobiling, camping, big game and bridge jumping in Twin.

Quite a bit of sporting events, concerts, winerys etc.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Embrace The Blue

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Hot summers with 95-100+ temps and mild winters. It's rarely below zero for long and not much snow.

Exports....Taters

Imports.....Californians and Illegals

Subdivisions as far as the eye can see.

there are worse places to live though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
" ... Hells Canyon is famous for chukkars if your legs are good. You'll find Idaho to be a bit more, er, 'bumpy' than MN. We also have very good deer and elk hunting."

Now, you can hunt Canadian Gray wolves. You can buy multiple tags for them. Also you can hunt Mountain lions and Black bears.

Plus, even if they are on the controlled hunt draw, Shiras moose, both cows and bulls, Rocky Mtn. Bighorn sheep, Calif. Desert Bighorn sheep, antelope, and Rocky Mtn. goats.

Seems to me that the main restriction on hunting multiple game animals has to do with legs, lungs, and determination. Of course, a little luck never hurts either. wink

The only rifle you'll need is a good bolt action .270 Win. grin

Welcome to Idaho.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
[quote=Rock Chuck]"

The only rifle you'll need is a good bolt action 30-06. grin

Welcome to Idaho.

L.W.

Fixed it for ya. smile

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you still have a spring in your step, chukars will substitute more than sufficiently for roosters. Just as explosive on the flush, and just as delicious.

Bird hunting, and hunting in general, is not a "after work" thing in Boise anymore, but if you aren't hunting something every weekend from September 1 through February 1, you're not doing it right.

Welcome. Now go shoot a wolf.....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Boise today, those wacko's are alla time doing something like this over in Boise. As the area grows so does the nut case population, glad I don't live there, 45 minute ride to downtown is to close for me.

http://www.kboi2.com/news/local/Col...4151.html?tab=gallery&c=y&img=29

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This was a couple of weeks ago. bunch Damn nuts over there in Boise I tell ya.
We avoid the place all we can.

http://www.kboi2.com/news/local/Tou...70632.html?tab=gallery&c=y&img=6

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 70 invisible), 2,732 guests, and 1,441 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,100
Posts18,483,097
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.